My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. sputnik

sputnik Member

Why the rebuild? Did I miss something?

Since this will be a rebirth of sorts, why not start another thread for it?

2. storm

storm Member

he moved so time to rebuild
  3. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

do you have a second level yet? that looks great i love it
  4. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

WOWjawdrop That sure is big.
  5. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Great layout! One question, what is the purpose of the section I've circled in red? Looks like a waste of switching & track for what it would hold.

Attached Files:

• 94.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
  6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

The final track plan will no doubt change many times, even after it is laid. I just sketched out a bunch of track, I don't know what they will look like when it's built yet!
  7. fifer

fifer Active Member

Mike , How much of your track and stuff will you be able to save and is the new layout in a basement as well?? :wave:
    Thanks , Mike
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I will be able to take up almost all of the track and switches. All of the frame work I ripped from 3/4" plywood, so I will save most of it to use on the next layout. The new house also has a basement, it is 32'x33' with a 10'x9' bump out. ( I think it's ironic that it is 1 square mile in N scale!)
  9. fifer

fifer Active Member

Very Cool Mike , we all look forward to it.
  10. FiveFlat

FiveFlat Member

Just a unless bit of information. 1 square mile happens to be 1 section of land or 640 acres!
  11. nogard

nogard New Member

Hate to see it come down, but there is always joy in 'the' building of things, not just in what has already been built.
    I'd love to see your take on bench work and wiring before its gone, for my own layout rebuild that should be starting the next couple of months. (My track and the rest of my basement came down with all the rain last summer)

Another Calgary boy

12. kickinhorsepass

kickinhorsepass New Member

Spiral Tunnels

Stumbled on this thread, thought you all might like a look at an HO version (all be it the wrong scale) of the spiral tunnels area. Sucks to have to move and rebuild, but there is a ton of fun in the construction end of it. Judicious use of the saw is paramount.
  13. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I've seen the layout at the train show in Calgary.
  14. nolatron

nolatron Member

Hey Mike,

Any progress made in the new house yet? Can't wait to see the new layout take shape.
  15. kickinhorsepass

Why not make the layout available during the CMRS open houses for all to see before it gets dismantled.
  16. SD90

SD90 Active Member

When is the spring open house? I have to start dismantling soon, it sounds like fun.
  17. kickinhorsepass

They havent posted the formal dates yet, though expect early April. It is typically divided into North half/ South half of the city to make driving to multiple events easier. I will post actual dates when I get the info.
  18. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I had the last operating session on the weekend. It consisted of running every train into Field from both staging yards, and clearing out every industrial track and back track on the layout. Then setting all the power into the diesel shops. This is a good time to take inventory, as every piece of rolling stock and locomotive I have is in 1 place and easy to count now. There is still a few clear tracks, so I guess I have room for more!
    Here are a few pictures of the congestion!

The first part to come down was the begining and end of the layout, this is where the staging yards were.

19. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

all i can say is wow!! some day when i get a house this will be my insperation
  20. Great layout cabelguy, hope to see it when it is finished.
    keep up the good work.