My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I got the steel beams weathered finally, here are a few pictures. The big ones are a scale 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide. They are bridge support beams, 240 000 lbs each. I weathered some of the gondolas too.

2. Fusion

Fusion New Member

This is my first post and I must say WOW! That is just amazing. I was always interested in model trains but never had the room to build anything so I turned to R/C's. In the spring it looks like I will be moving to a new home with a 2 level basement, maybe then I will finally get to build something and only hope it will come out as great as yours. Good stuff. :thumb:
  3. fifer

fifer Active Member

Mike as always ,it is a pleasure and very revitalizing to view your progress. I always am amazed at what you have accomplished from the get-go. You are indeed an inspiration to all of us with what seems to be an endless amount of drive and desire for fun.
    As we always say "keep up the good work and we enjoy the pics and updates"

Hello from the ACTRR

Mike :wave: :wave: :wave:
  4. Fusion

Fusion New Member

SD90, what code and brand of track are you using?

Nevermind :D

5. dr.5euss

dr.5euss Member

Just finished reading all 49 pages :sleeping:
    Looks really good - can't believe you're doing it all by yourself!

6. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Each beam weighs 120,000 TONS? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  7. brewmaster

brewmaster New Member

Unless my math is shakey I read 240,000 pounds divided by 2000 pounds (2000 lbs to the ton) to be 120 tons ;)
  8. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

So much for my math. :oops: :oops: :D :D
  9. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I got my ballast train weathered the other night. Now it looks a bit more realistic! Here are a few pictures...

10. FiveFlat

FiveFlat Member

What does it mean to "ballast your track" ?
  11. davidmbedard

davidmbedard Member

Looking good Mikey!
  12. Fusion

Fusion New Member

I think it means to apply some rock/sand in and around the railroad ties.
  13. ReefBlueCoupe

ReefBlueCoupe Member

Holy Balls. This thread is ridiculous. That looks like so much fun.
  14. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

hey SD90 i love to follow this thread and i was wondering if you have an updated trackplan? love the layout aslo have a nice one
  15. sledge57

sledge57 New Member

Now that's just awesome! (bet you never heard that b4 )

You've managed to change my mind on diesel power, I had planned to go with steam as diesels never interested me, but seeing your beautiful long trains have converted me.

I have a question about track. I see you use flex track. Is all your track flex and if so how tight of a radius can you do with it and if someone could point me to a thread or site that gives a good explanation of how to work with it I would appreciate it.

P.S. A little off topic here (well a lot really) but............. hemiadda2d I saw your "Mopar or NoCar" sig and I agree [​IMG] here's a small pic of my full scale toy.................. Sorry for the off topic bit and pic [​IMG]

16. SD90

SD90 Active Member

The new Soo Line SD60's arrived today, I programmed them and started breaking them in. Here is a pictrue of them, I will definatly have to weather them, they are a bit too clean for me! They will haul a few trains over the Laggan Sub before I start dismantling it. :(

17. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Some great looking motive power, Mike! :thumb:

I hate to hear that you have to take down your layout :cry: but I look forward to seeing what you do with your new space! bounce7
  18. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I thought I'd start posting a few ideas for the new layout and get some feedback from all of you. Here is the latest one, it is a different idea I've had for a while. I would like to incorporate the staging yards into the working yards. (there is a lot of track and switches in a staging yard, why not make it part of the layout?) This plan is a point to point with a working staging yard at each end and 4 sidings in the middle, one of those sidings will be a small yard at a large paper mill. I still have the Spiral Tunnels in this plan, and the layout will only be a single level. I should still be able to get about 225 feet of mainline run out of it. The minimum radius will be 22"(hidden in the tunnels) and 32" visible. Another thing I have done is add a Wye to the staging yards to turn engines at the end of the run, and it also makes the layout a continuous run! The staging yards are connected, but they will be 2 different towns. It's just a sketch right now and will no doubt change about 100 times before it gets built!

19. storm

storm Member

i am sure this one will be much better then the old layout.
    cant wate do see it
  20. cpr_boy

cpr_boy Member

I like it....I see you've included the Spiral tunnels. Does this mean you'll still be modelling the Laggan Sub? I've thought about modelling the Red Deer/Leduc sub. When I have more room of course!

Keep us posted