My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I laid the West Field Industrial tracks last night, not much going on there, 2 industries and a 3 track car repair shop. (As you can see, they will be busy!) Now I don't have to use one of the yard tracks to hold all of the bad order cars!

2. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I registered with The Gauge back in January. I've been lurking the whole time enjoying evryone's and efforts and expertise. I gotta say Mike that the work on this massive layout of yours is just amazing. You always seem to find a way to include more track, maximizing your bench work space. The scenery for the Spiral Tunnels is coming along nicely I look forward to seeing a series of shots when that area is "completed" to speak. ;)

I have a few questions.

Your layout is based on a prototype of an existing line. How much have you scaled it down, if any at all? What I should be asking is that even though your yards although massive in size, how did you decide how may tracks you would need or want to put down?

How much did you leave out, again if any? In some cases have you taken some liberties as to how the lines are run in reality compared to how they are run on your layout?

I'm guessing the answer to some of this is yes...I'm curious as to the how or the why.

3. steveNSimes

steveNSimes New Member

You know, I just have to say that I'm not impressed. There, I said it.

and now I going back to the drawing board!!!

What an impressive layout, WOW. This is the layout we all want. You've really captured it, I mean, this is the layout I really want. Well, of course I would change it to Norfolk Southern (rathole division or maybe lake division). But You have really out done anything I think I've ever seen. Truley a masterpeice.

One question, Does your family even know you anyomore? I'm guessing you spend a lot of time inside your empire. I'm lucky to get a half hour in. Thank you for inspiring me. I know I'll never build something as large as yours and now I think I can live with that. By the way, whne are we all inivited over to run this? We will all mark our calenders accordinly, LOL.
  4. siderod

siderod Member

I've already got mine marked! :thumb: :D
    Mike does do truly amazing work, and whenever i talk to him on MSN, the first words out of his cybermouth are usually "Guess what! I added another dozen switches today!"

Keep at 'er!
  5. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Mike to say that your layout is coming along nicely would be an understatement. Wow! That's Class 1 railroading, no doubt about it!:thumb::cool::D
  6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks everyone, I'm lucky to have some time every couple of weeks to work on the layout. When I work night shift, to get on that schedule, I stay up till 3 or 4am, which gives me about 6 or 7 hours to work on the layout.At least it gives me something to do! When I'm on day shifts, I don't have much time to work on the layout, but luckly, I rotate every 2 weeks! :p

-Oh yeah, if anyone is ever going to be in town, just send me an email in advance, and I'll try to have you over and we can run some trains! :thumb:
  7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here are the pictures of the new train on the Laggan sub, the California Zephyer with 3 PA's (A-B-A). Thanks David. It will be the new priority train durring an op session.

8. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

That has got to be one of the coolest M.R. pictures I have ever seen.

9. Elite Lancer

Elite Lancer Member

Wow! That's crazy! Put in a roundhouse for me. ;)
  10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Was that an add? :confused: :confused:
  11. Elite Lancer

Elite Lancer Member

12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Edited by me.
  13. siderod

siderod Member

I agree with Mike, that was just inappropiate...i don't know if you own "Global Train Supply" or not, but i don't think it matters...Mike's been in this for years, and a simple look at his collection will tell you that he knows whats around and whats not.

Helpful suggestions are one thing, but offering suggestions in that mannor, complete with links directly to the product, is something totally different. Suggesting something like "ya know, a roundhouse would look kinda interesting".

Just my opinion,
    For what it's worth,

PS...Mike, that CZ is lookin SWEET! You keepin the D&RGW motive power, or you gonna swap them out to something else....ya know, PA's would look nice with a golden rodent on the side;)
  14. davidmbedard

davidmbedard Member

Im trying to get Mike to allow me to give the CZ a Makeover.........perhaps.....with an FP9 perhaps?!?

15. Elite Lancer

Elite Lancer Member

I'm sorry you guys. You're right, I shouldn't have posted those links. I'm still a bit new here and from now on I'll be more careful on what I post. i did not mean to advertise anything to you at all and I do not even work for a supplyer or anything like that. I guess I just got a little excited when I saw that cool layout and wanted him to include some of my ideas and got carried away. It won't happen again.

GWRFANN New Member

SD90. All I can say is FANTASTIC!:cool:

I am starting my layout soon. It won't be near the size of yours, but if it is half as nice, I'll be happy.

Keep up the good work.:thumb:

p.s. What make of track are you using? I don't think I saw it mentioned in this post.:thumb:
  17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

-Simon, if your layout is a bit smaller, that's ok, you might have a chance of actually getting it finished someday!
  18. Oroka

Oroka Member

One smaller layout just means that you will complete that one sooner, and you can start a new one :D

SD90: your WIP is a inspiration to myself, and I am sure many others. I am sure I will have more questions for you (like the pine trees, thanks).
  19. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Very true!:D Here I have an 11x17 and I'm looking at the completed benchwork and thinking, "When am I ever going to get the time to complete this". Good problem to have I guess but like these two said, absolutely nothing wrong with starting with a smaller layout. Gives you a chance to have some learning exper. that you can take into a larger one down the road. Godspeed!
  20. Oroka

Oroka Member

Well, especially for someone like me, nowhere close to retiring, and not owning my own home. Small layouts can be made, lessons can be learned, the layout can be easily dismantled or even sold, rinse and repeat. After a few layouts over 35 years, when I am done that crappy thing called working, my kid are gone, and my future wife and I are wondering what to do with a empty house... basement = whooo whooo! Then I can spend my last... 80 years fiddeling in the basement :D (Imagine what medical technology will beable to do in 50-60 years ;) )