My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Great to here that SD. :wave: :D

Gotta love it when everything works out. :thumb: :thumb:
  2. siderod

siderod Member

Hey Mike,
    It just keeps getting better and better! Did you have any troubles with the recent floods, or did they miss you?

3. SD90

SD90 Active Member

They seemed to have missed my basement, but they did get my next door neighbours! I have added an auto compound to Field, so now I have some place for all those auto decks to go! I made it so the parking lot is off the layout, that way I don't have to buy hundreds of cars and trucks to put in the parking lot! I'll try to post some pictrues soon.
  4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Looking forward to seeing how you do the yard for those autodecks Mike.
  5. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Ok, here are a few pictures. I don't have it all finished yet, I still have to cut in the switch to get into 'N' yard. But here is what I have so far.

From far far away! I was going to cut the switch into the mainline, but instead, I will tie it into 'N' yard. That way, the auto facility will have it's own lead, it will take a bit longer to get there to pull and spot, so I might have to add another yard switcher! The auto facility lead is going to come off N6.

A bit closer...

And a view from a bit closer to the ground. There is enough room for 10 auto decks, with a large roadway between them, (for unloading) I made it similar to the auto facility here is Calgary, but not as big. I didn't realize until I started working for the railway, that for unloading these things, you need to seperate them so they can be unloaded. Bi levels facing west, Tri levels facing east, Tri levels facing west, and so on. This will be farily prototypical, because there will be 4 groups of cars. I think I will use the spackle idea for the ashphalt in the parking lot and for the roadway.
  6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

While I was in the industrial mood, I changed the north side too. There will be another 4 industries in this 'blank' area soon! You can just see the switch to the new area at the bottom left.

7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is a shot of the lower Spiral Tunel, it seems a few more trees have grown up there!

8. Matthyro

Great progress Mike. Did you make the trees?
  9. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Mike!! I love that landscape. Just the right touch of various greens and browns. I am going to have to try that on my layout.
  10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is a picture of an eastbound grain train with an AC4400 and an SD90 on the head end, coming out if the lower spiral tunnel. The sun is going down, so I was running out of light!

11. siderod

siderod Member

NICE Progress!!
    That last shot had me fooled! I thought it was REAL! Damn nice job, my friend...damn nice! Can't wait to see the numerous industries you have planned come together...are you ever satisfied? LOL

12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I don't think so, the layout is an ever evolving project! But it gets more fun each time I change something.
  13. AdeV

AdeV New Member

Good grief!

Well - my flabber has been utterly and completely ghasted. I am (almost, but sadly not quite) speechless. Yours is an absolutely fabulous layout, partly for sheer size, but mainly for outright stunning quality. 10 cheers, WOW!, and so on.

My many hats are off to you, sir, and I look forward to future installements! (hey - it's not often I join a forum simply to say "wow!"...)

Some questions:

1) How do you operate all those switches? I'm guessing, as I've not seen any fancy control boards, that they're all manual?

2) Will you be putting signalling in? [As a brit, I'm used to seeing lots of signals, either lights or sempahore - I'm not sure about you Canadians?] Will the signalling work? I'm guessing - based on your previous work - that not only will it work, but it'll look indistinguishable from the real thing!

3) How big are your electric bills now? ;)

4) Did I remember to say "wow!" in a loud and slightly irritating manner?

Good luck - fab layout, cant' wait to see it evolve over the next year or two!
  14. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Nice looking backdrop........
    That is a backdrop...Right?
    Really...Its starting to look good(Green with jealousy)
  15. SD90

SD90 Active Member

AdeV, all of the switches on my layout are manual. I have thought about adding signaling at some point, but not in the near future. Right now, it is dark territory! Everyone runs with a clearance durring operating sessions.

It is a backdrop, just 1/8th " masonite, painted a very light colored blue. I tried to get the color that is along the horizon.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and if anyone is ever in Calgary and wants to come by, just send me an email!
  16. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I do like the trees! The sun may have been going down, but the shot is definitely "up there!" :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  17. Matthyro

I know you have a ton of scenery to do Mike but you have set the bar very high so we can only look forward to more great things.
  18. pondman

pondman New Member

I still said for 2005 you should "Modeler of the Year" for all the hard work you have done !!And I bet a lot of modelers out there will 2nd the feeling too !
    Keep up the fine work MIke . All of us out here on the page are watching it ..
  19. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here are a few pictures of a 44 car unit grain train I took this afternoon, just entering the lower spiral tunnel...

Here is the mid-train unit....

Here is a close up of it...

Just coming down the hill into Field...

And finally stopped on track M4 in Field for a crew change off.

I've been running trains into Field and changing crews. Durring an op session, 1 person will take a train from Revelstoke to Field, and someone else will take it from Field to Calgary.
  20. Matthyro

I love these long trains Mike. You are really having fun these days EH!