My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. nolatron

nolatron Member

Makes me wanna go buy a house with a large basement so I can do my 'dream layout'! hehe... Too bad we don't have basements in NOLA :(

Awesome looking layout though. Can't we too see the rest of the pics. Keep up the great work!
  2. sschaer

sschaer Member

your scenery looks excellent ! but i bet it'll take a while until you catch up with my 5-6000 trees ....
  3. fifer

fifer Active Member

Mike , Very Very Nice as always !!
    I really like all the trees and hope you do too cause you got alot of them to do :eek: .

4. LIRR

LIRR Member

That layout should look amazing when its done.
  5. Marcin

Marcin New Member

WOW!!! Great work!!!
  6. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

Massive post there! I'm stunned! :eek: The scenery looks sooo good!
  7. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

Incredible layout, Mike!
  8. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I have been following your progress since the beginning and still have trouble comprehending all the work being done on your layout.
  9. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

i wish i had that, those CP rail engines have a used look to them how did you do that or did you buy them like that?
  10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks everyone, I've painted and weathered almost all of my locomotives myself. I still have a few that are too clean, but I will get to them soon enough! I think they look much more realistic when they have a coat of grime and dust on them. I'm going to make my own leasing company for the paper mill's cars, so I'll have to start painting rolling stock next! I think it will be somthing like HRLX, (Hagarty Rail Leasing) or something like that. I'll paint and decal Woodchip cars, Box cars, Tank cars and a few airslide hoppers for use in the mill. The mill is going to be freelanced also, so I'll eventually paint a few locomotives for it too.
  11. cpr_boy

cpr_boy Member

Great progress shots Mike. I'm just curious what you use for your roadbed? Is it just sheets of thin cork?

It's truely inspiring that you've captured the realism of the area.

12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

That's right, I got it at Revy, I think it is about 1/8th of an inch thick, and came in 4 foot wide rolls. You can buy how ever many feet you need, and cut it yourself. It is way cheaper than the commericial stuff. I think it was $7.00 per foot, and you can get 24, 4 foot long strips out of a 1 foot wide piece!
  13. emt49

emt49 Member

WOW i have been watching this thred for about a month that is a A+ layout

i cant even think about the head ace that had to have caused sometime but it look like it was or will be all worth it in the end :thumb:
  14. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Every time I see this picture it blows me away. I think I like it so much for it's simplicity as well as the realism if the groundwork. Please tell me either that it was photoshoped or how you achieved such convincing countryside.

Seems like it isn't going to let me attach the photo I am refering to. It is the 23rd photo of entry 619 (or 2nd from the bottom if that's easier :) ) Got it finally. :thumb:

Attached Files:

• 60.jpeg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
  15. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

so whats the update on the layout any news? do u have an update with the track plan?
    thanks a lot

16. CAS

CAS Member

Holy Crap,

What an amazing layout. Pictures look great. Scenery ia fantastic.
    This is the first time i seen this post, my jaw drop followed by some drooling.:)

I just received my first n scale vehicles from walthers, and thought how am i gonna do this? Then i came along this post, and figure my project should be a breeze compared this gigantic layout.

Thanks for sharinng your layout pics with us

17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks everyone, I haven't done too much on the layout lately. I was trying to speed match all of the locomotives, ( I got finished half of them ) then I messed something up, and somehow managed to reprogram every locomotive on the layout to an unknown address! Right now, NOTHING works, I can only run non-decoder equiped locomotives on address '00'! Oh well, the next time I have a day off, I will start reprogramming engines! I still have to get a track plan done too, as soon as I get it finished, I'll post it, as there has been many changed since I posted the last one.
  18. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

way cool mike!! hey do you think you can help me plan my layout because your layout has inspaired me to build mine.
  19. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

It is when I here stories like this that I am glad I chose to go DC, wiring 36 blocks is not that bad after all. :D
  20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I got everything all back up and running! It didn't actually take that long, it took a while to run all the engines back down to Field, but other than that, I just had to program the 4 digit address into each engine again. Now all trains on the layout have power on them again.