My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. sschaer

sschaer Member

in case you need a helping hand.... i'll work for food....and a plane ticket ... ;-)
  2. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I just got 2 CP SD40-2's decaled and had to put them on the layout and take a picture. CP#6017 and 6034. I still have to get some MT 2004 couplers, so they won't be put into service yet, but they are on the layout now.
    -If anyone remembers, last year when I went on the train to Field and back, I got to ride in and and operate #6017! Now it is on my version of the Laggan Sub.

Here is the link to a picture of the real 6017, it looks like I'll have to do some weathering too!

3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

That's really neat Mike to have a model of a loco that you had the ride on to Field.
  4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I couldn't resist, so I swapped 2 chassis with decoders in them, and took the couplers off those 2 shells and now I am running these 2 engines! I just reprogrammed the decoders to the new road numbers.
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  6. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

It's been a while since I have been here, but have you any overall scenery shots?
    Your stuff above looks awesome!
  7. siderod

siderod Member

Wow...been a while since i read this thread!
    Mike...lookin awesome...i've been trying to convince my grandparents to let me go to Calgary this summer sometime...know of any good layouts to operate on? **smirk**

Looks real, Mike...good job.
  8. cyb0rg

cyb0rg New Member

Wow. [​IMG]

This is my first post here, and I just spent the last few hours reading this entire thread. Mike, that is one awesome layout!

Like many others who have followed your progress, I too am inspired by your hard work and dedication. Those last few pics of the weathered locos against finished scenery...amazing. And to have a model of a train you actually rode in and operated on your layout, well, that's just great!

Keep up the great work!
  9. OwenCPR

OwenCPR Member

Hi pinning for an Op Session!!!!! Siderod wants to live vicariously through Dave or I!!!!!
  10. siderod

siderod Member

Mike, it'd be awesome to have a copy of the unit you rode in...i'd like to do the same, but i think it might be a while before someone comes out with an RS23 in CP's action red, with the "CPRail" blacked out
  11. davidmbedard

davidmbedard Member

Hmmmm...I could kitbash an RS23.......hmmmmmmm

I second the movement towards an operating session.
  12. siderod

siderod Member

If you do, and get it on a good-running frame, you have yourself a buyer (providing you don't try to make me refinanace my parents house to pay you off :p)

Seriously, i'm awaiting the main dimensions of the RS23's from one of my guys at the WHRC...i've got someone lined up who's willing to do Resin castings for them, providing i can get the dimensions and he can find a good frame.

PS, i third the motion (who's buyin my plane ticket?:D)

13. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I got the plywood base down for the paper mill at Ottertail, just rough fitted, to see how much room I will have to work with. The big section is 25 1/2" deep, and the smaller section is 14" deep. I'm going to have a mainline, siding, and 3 set out tracks towards the front, the rest will probably change before it's finished! I was doing some planning last night with track and switches, at first I thought the mill would handle about 15-20 cars, but now I'm thinking more like 40-50. I'll be sure to keep you posted, and any suggestions would be great!

With the MAJOR track block at Ottertail, Field has become the lower staging yard until the mainline is back up and running, hopefully it isn't too long!

14. siderod

siderod Member

Hey Mike,

Lookin good! I see my locomotive is hard at work on your layout :thumb: (by hard at work, i mean sitting there lookin good :D )...When are ya gonna send it to me? :p

Post lots of pics, and let us know when you get track down!

PS...Mike, look for an e-mail from me soon
  15. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thanks for the update Mike. Good to see the progress
  16. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Newb question #117:

In the last pic foreground (track closest to the camera), there are 3 sets of cars that I don't recognize. It looks like 1 red, 2 black, and 2 yellow cars of the same type.

What are those?
  17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I think you are talking about center beam flat cars, they are used to haul lumber. Red Caboose makes them, very nice cars!
  18. davidmbedard

davidmbedard Member

Nice mike....nice......

19. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I got the plywood all scewed down now, and all I'm waiting for is the switches and track. It won't be long now till there will be trains running through Ottertail again! I think I'll put the roadbed down tomorrow.

20. Flash

Flash New Member

What I don't see in your pictures is a bed. I'd need one near the layout because that is where I'd be sleeping when my wife discovered I was doing something of this magnitude in the basement.

WOW! Fantastic! Understatements both.