My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. OwenCPR

OwenCPR Member

Sorry I couldn't make it to meet commitments......let me know when your next op session will be. Have you started the "renos" to the top deck for LL yet?
  2. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

Hey Mike,

I'm on vacation in Canada now, I'm staying at my friends place in London. There are 2 single lines going through London. One is right outside his appartment and I can watch it from the 14th floor here. :) Yesterday we were eating at a restaurant and they are located next to one of these lines. I was lucky because a freighttrain came by, it was lead by 1 AC4400CW. I live in The Netherlands and I never seen one in real life. Wow! These engines are big! :D

Theres a switchstation just outside London and were going to visit it some day. This vacation gives me great inspiration for my layout.
  3. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks guys, if that was my engine, it would be much more dirty than that! It is one od Sandro's C44's, he brought 2 of them over and ran them over the layout.
  4. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

great pics. keep up the great work on the layout
  5. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Well, I finally got my AC4400's! I couldn't wait, so I put the handrails and number boards on and put 4 of them on the layout.
    Here are a couple of pictures, I think they are the best looking locomotives on the layout.

6. sschaer

sschaer Member

glad you received your units as well. please compare the kato units with my c44 and tell me which looks better.....i'm a little disappointed by the katos. they will need quite some work to look good. all these tiny stickers are missing. also the black handrails of my c44 look better than the new red ones. only my opinion of course.

did you have any problems running the ac4400 ?
  7. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

They look fantastic Mike. So does your layout.
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Sandro, I haven't put decoders in them yet, but they all run very smooth, just like a Kato should. I might paint the handrails, to make them look a bit better. The real ones only have red handrails, the stanchions are black and the ends are white. I'll let you know hoe it goes!
  9. Nscalemodeler

Nscalemodeler Member

Wow :eek: , I just started looking at this post and from the pictures had to go back to the beginning to see the progress. That is one great looking layout. I can only dream of having that much space or time. I'll keep watching to see the progress.

Nice Job SD90!!!:thumb:
  10. 70Runner

70Runner Member

CP's Calgary sub sounds good. Has a prototype ring to it. :)
    Great work! Are you getting any scenery done? Or is work still taking up most of your time?
  11. OwenCPR

OwenCPR Member

I'll answer for Mike.......its the Laggan sub which is the main line west from Calgary to Field for CP.
  12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks Owen, I guess I haven't told anyone the name on the Gauge yet, it is the Laggan Sub. I've really compressed the area I'm modeling since I started building the layout. Now Calgary and Revelstoke are both staging yards off the layout. The actual towns or sidings that are modeled now are Golden, Ottertail, Field, Cathedral, Stephen, Divide, Lake Louise and Massive. From Field, I am now only modeling about 40 miles of the real Laggan Sub. (in about 10 scale miles on the layout.)
  13. 70Runner

70Runner Member

I knew that, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted. :oops: I think I clicked on page 5 and forgot about the other 31 pages! :eek:
  14. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I spent some time working on the layout last night. I finished wiring the Spiral Tunnels. They were working before, but the DCC system wouldn't shut down when I shorted the track out, and there was a voltage drop at the far end of the circut. I used 12 gauge wire for the main bus, but the run was about 110 feet, I guess there is still too much resistance in the wire at that distance.( and the worst place to loose power, is on the hill! )
    What I did was put a 8 gauge bus wire from the source to a terminal strip under the spiral tunnels, and attached the existing bus wires to it. Then I soldered feeder wires to every piece of track on the hill. Now, there is no more voltage drop, and the system shuts down right away when the track is shorted out.
    Next I'm going to finish the backdrop by taping, mudding, sanding, and painting it sky blue. Then it will be time to start doing the scenery on the Spiral Tunnels. I've been holding off because it wasn't wired correctly, but now that it's all fixed, there is no excuse!

Here is a pictrue of some of the weathering I did the other night. I got 2 of the Kato AC4400's running, with the help of Grant, modified the shell, installed MT couplers and the decoder. I'm not happy with the weathering job I did on this one, but oh well. I did about 20 grain cars too.

15. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

SD90 Looks Great :thumb: :thumb:
  16. fifer

fifer Active Member

Great work as usual Mike !!!!!!! :thumb:

Mike :wave:
  17. b28_82

b28_82 Member

I think the weathering looks just fine. In my opinion I would leave that one how it is and try on another loco. I have yet to weather locos, and I have yet to weather any of my n-scale stuff
  18. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks everyone! I'll post more pictures as I get more done.
  19. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

I think the weathering job looks fine to me. ;)
  20. seanm

seanm Member

Very nice!! I have spent the past few days looking over all of the photos. I am very impressed.

Can I ask you a couple of detail questions about your benchwork?

On the upper level shelf, are those 1x4 coming out from the verticals? How are they spaced .. It looks like something between 12" and 18"... but it is hard to tell.

Thanks for your time and dedication to posting your progress. You have inspired me to cataloge my construction once I start. It maks for a very interesting read. Something this detailed would never show up in a magazine. Thanks!\