My Word!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by logicman, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logicman

logicman Greybeard

CSXect wrote:

Nice one!

Art Decko wrote:
    My example was: "That deer tasted great!"
    How did it taste? Great!
    How, requires an adverb response, so 'great' is an adverb, q.e.d.:rolleyes:

The grammatical/linguistic definitions of noun, verb etc are circular -
    a noun is a word found within syntactic template, NP -
    a template, NP, is a template which contains a noun.

1st rule of real-life grammar:
    any word whatsoever may be used in any grammatical category whatsoever.

And that, friends, is why computers can't understand us -
    why!, it's a miracle that we can understand each other.:mrgreen:

2. sgtcarl

sgtcarl Member

Ah, yes! The United States and Great Britian! Two great nations that are separated only by a common language!
    I think I'll stick to psycology and Christianity, else I lose my sanity!
  3. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

Dno't gte poeple staretd on tihgns like bieng able to rearragne letters and still read. And don't forget about ghoti for fish (gh from tough, o from women and ti from nation). BTW, for any word lovers who don't know about it The Word Detective is fun with a nice archive about where things may have come from or where we just plain don't know.

For a sample here's one on hobo.
  4. logicman

logicman Greybeard

B*t w*y n*t? y*u c*n h**e f*n.

Thanks for the link, Scratchy, it's one I missed:The Word Detective

"So I write to you, the master,"

"Master, eh? So how come I can’t get my own dogs to do simple things, such as mowing the lawn? All they’re willing to do is wash dishes, and the plates smell funny afterward."

5. CSXect

CSXect Member

Just a little funny story or two,

One time I went to buy some gas(petrol) and I told the attendant I wanted 10 Ohms worth of gas:confused::eek::confused: They say you know a subject when you start dreaming about it, I had just gotten out of collage and worked at a company where I had to use ohms law all the time in building and calibrating industrial controls I had meant to say $10.00sign1

At a former employer my supper visor used the word erregardless when talking to his boss and some Vice Presidents of this that and the other, we all in the lab felt embarassed for him.

Sorry about any misspellings I am after all just a "thecnician":mrgreen:

Will keep an eye out for any odd spellings ect:wave:
  6. logicman

logicman Greybeard

If you'd asked me for 10 Ohms worth of gas, I'd have said:

"Right you are, guv. Just a mho." :rolleyes:

That's an electrician joke.

"I'd like a report of all the incidents in the last six months. I'd like it soon, or I might just kick your nasty ass all over this room."

That's a marshal joke.

(Name the movie)

7. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I hate to beat a dead deer (oy!), but...

In your example, I believe "great" does not describe the manner of the tasting, it describes a quality of the deer (sensed by tasting it).

"Great" is too confusing, because the word "great" can be an adjective or an adverb. If we swap "great" for a word with different adjective/adverb forms, it's more clear. Compare:

Adverb: "That deer tasted sweetly." ("sweetly" describes how it did the tasting)

Adjective: "That deer tasted sweet." ("sweet" describes the deer itself)

I think "That deer tasted great" fits the latter (i.e. an adjective).

Oh, now my head is aching terribly! ;) :wave:
  8. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

All this talk of tasting makes me think of the story (probably an urban legend) of an early computer translation program being asked to translate "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." to Russian, and then back to English. "The wine is good, but the meat is terrible."
  9. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Ah yes! Machine translation. I'm still trying to figure out babelfish's translation from Chinese - hematosis soldier. ?????
    hema = iron, so > armored ??

Art decko: our example sentences show that the decision about whether a word fits in one category or another is almost entirely subjective. In fact, every categorisation scheme is a matter of personal choice informed by personal experience. That is why, for any three items, it is possible to select any one and prove it to be the 'odd one out'.

Thus, I look askance at any psychologist who would categorise a person on the basis of such a test, and look doubly askance at anyone who writes a translation program based on word categories.

This usually helps: wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1

Ah! Much more betterer.

10. logicman

logicman Greybeard

So, Mark, when Mr. Bush says 'nuke-you - lar'

should I be worried?

11. CSXect

CSXect Member

I just realized I have a multi cultural name, Frist name is Scottish middle Is Irish and last name is German:eek:hmmm Once mom told me that her Grandmother kept talking about the old country (which turned out to be Indian reservation in Oklahomasign1) Not sure if they were resident natives or what.

I once heard that NOVA sounds like no go in Spanish not a good selling point for the car.

Electronics has a lot of funny terms like white noise, grass and snow which are all reffering to the same thing noise that is not part of the givin signal. Banging the rails a signal that trys to go beyond the upper and bottum limits. How about XTAL=short for crystal. X-former=Transformer, Q=short for transistor .:wave:
  12. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I dread straying into politics, but regarding ______ , I worry, I worry...

Mark: substitute the name of any politition in any era ... :mrgreen:
    sic semper ductoris - ergo bibamus simpliciter
    (politicians are always like that - so let's simply get drunk) :mrgreen:

CSXect: my own first name is Irish, my second Scottish and my last is Scottish, derived from Viking mythology. So if I turn up at your house in a boat and playing a fiersome skirl on the bagpipes: worry! :mrgreen:

I'd never thought about 'nova', but yes. No va - doesn't go. :mrgreen:

As for electronics: is pink noise the sound of champagne?

And, if white noise covers the entire audible spectrum,
    is silence black noise?

Does a falling tree make more noise when there is no man
    under it to absorb the sound? :twisted:

13. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

One I heard on a comedy show the other night...

"If a man in a forest cannot be heard by his wife, is he still wrong?" ;) :D

14. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Thanks for that Andrew.:thumb:

15. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

I liked the blip where the guy said whenever someone says "You know Jesus said..." he sticks his fingers in his ears and says "No no no, don't ruin it for me I haven't read the book yet."

BTW, my wife says yes to yours Andrew :) If I happen to agree with her, it's for the wrong reason.
  16. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Interesting links, Charlie. Thank you. :thumb:

"More importantly" - absolutely nothing wrong with that phrase.

There's a lot of 'experts' who have never studied linguistics.

Any phrase of the form more ___ly carries an assumption that the hearer is

a ... capable of understanding any implied missing verb from the context, and
    b ... not a language maven. wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1

For a definition of 'language maven', please look at any of Steven Pinker's excellent books, and more importantly - read it.

(Here, I am using the linguistic rule of brevity, rather than say, for example:

... and speaking more importantly (by which I mean speaking with a greater emphasis on the import of what I say) ... drone, drone, drone :cry:

Two 'hard-wired' rules of language apply here:
    a ... the rule of brevity, aka K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
    b ... the rule of euphony, aka sounds right = is right.

The American Heritage Dictionary: "Some critics have objected to the use of the phrase more importantly in place of more important when one introduces an assertion, as in More importantly, no one is ready to step into the vacuum left by the retiring senator. But both forms are widely used by reputable writers, and there is no obvious reason for preferring one or the other."

But, I should not be lecturing, because:

I wholeheartedly agree.

Grammer police should be shot on site.

17. CSXect

CSXect Member

How about eat and ate
    in some parts here both sound like etsign1

or how about these, rouf=roof, warsh=wash, feesh=fish

And then there is my favorite mispronounced Ohio towns Lancaster sometimes called lang caster and Portsmouth called Porchsmith:confused::confused::confused:

Oh how could I forget the color yallow=yellow or sometimes yeller:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  18. logicman

logicman Greybeard

How could anyone forget Yeller? :cry::cry::cry:

I loved that dog. (sniff, weep)

19. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Hi Mark.

Nothing wrong with 'hopefully' as currently used.

Hopefully, you will look at the next link.

It's just a perfectly understandable and acceptable wy of saying:

I am acting/speaking with hope, when I say ...

You ain't seen nothin' yet, have a look at my favorite word:Bafflegab

It's late here.
    Catch you all later.
  20. sgtcarl

sgtcarl Member

"grammer police should be shot on sight"
    How about people who mis-spell the word "grammar?"
    And to add to the debate about "_ium," into what category should the word "telephonium" be placed? Would it be in the same category as "balonium?"
    Inquiring minds want to know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.