My wife hasn't left me!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I just bought some of the supplies I needed to start the process of landscaping the layout. My wife looked at the bill and just gave me one of those looks but she didn’t pack her bags. :) Hey it was only $102 and didn’t include any buildings just plaster and grass and such things. Well I did buy some cows and she said it would have been cheaper to use the ones in the barn.:rolleyes: I just smiled and said they are not the correct gauge.:thumb:

I think if she ever did pay attention and totaled up everything my bags might be on the outside one night. To be honest I’m a little scared to even add everything up from the past three months. I might have to keep my train magazines out of site before she actually picks one up to read.

[FONT=&quot]Maybe it would have been cheaper to model N gauge, for sure I would of needed less material.:oops:[/FONT]
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

No - Never Add anything up!! :D :D It only depresses you :D

I look at my "few" thousands of dollars worth of my 1:20.3 empire and console myself in that, there are O gaugers and other G gaugers that have tens of thousands of dollars "Invested" in their layouts :D :D :D

I have but a "few" sign1 sign1 sign1
  3. Dansco

Dansco Member

Glad she stayed!
    The key Iv learned in my few (14) years of marriage is to buy everything for "dual" use.
    (FYI, I'm new to MR, but the principles are the same)

The plaster in this case is an easy one. You should have bought plaster to fix the hole in the wall (you may need to "pre-fabricate" a hole to fix, but around my place with our 6 kids, holes are easy to come by!) Light weight spackling putty is needed to fix holes too (great for roads, etc on the layout)

Foliage etc. is for crafts that the kids can do. HO Scale bushes make great "Barbie" scale house plants!

I just picked up a box of "scrap booking" weathering chalks, no one notice that the containers were all half empty. (just kidding on that one, but its a good idea!)

I'm building "shelves" in the basement, big 4x8 shelves, with 3 foot "shelves" all around the walls. Please note that the "middle" shelf is designed as a "work surfaces" My wife will get plenty of work surface, and Ill get a nice "E" shaped layout space...

The key to this method though, is to REALY do the other project, I don't know about you, but my honey-do list is very long, my wife is happy when the "front" project gets done, and when my wife's happy, life is good!
  4. simmonds

simmonds Member

sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1
    :) :wave: :) :wave: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :wave: :wave: :wave:
    sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

That has got to be the funniest thing I have ever heard! OMG! GREAT IDEA!
    Talk you you all later. I got holes to fix! :D
  5. Geno

Geno Member

I'm lucky my wife doesn't really pay attention to the money I'm putting into my layout- if she knew she'd probably take my Sawzall and start chopping it up!!! She would notice any expense over $100, but I've been selling off track I don't use anymore to partially fund the new track buys.

Man, my tally already has the grand total at over $1000, and haven't even started laying track yet. Wait till I start buying signals, scenery material, etc.:oops:

6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I haven't totaled anything up yet but I'm willing to bet I'm getting close to a grand with everything I've spent since getting back into the hobby last December. :oops:

It's a good thing my wife has this strange idea in her head about me being the most wonderful man on the planet. Or at least that's what she keeps telling me. ;)
  7. CCT70

CCT70 Member

I like the way you think.... :thumb:
  8. Fort Kent Dad

Fort Kent Dad New Member

Invest in a Hobby - Psychiatrists and Prozac costs much more. :thumb:

I spend less on Trains than most men do on other male past times. I do not have a bass boat. I do not have a snowmobile. I do not have a Harley. I do not drink at the pub. I do not gamble (well OK I did buy that raffel ticket for the hospital benefit). I do not keep a fancy mistress on the side. All of these hobbies can cost far more than Model RR and are more likely to result in the dearly beloved changing the locks (they don't leave any more you do!).

So I INVEST in my Mental Health, and spend what I can afford to do without. (Well maybe a little too much if I go to a train show - but that is only once a year, well maybe twice).

:) But to preserve your Mental Health NEVER tally up the costs of your MRR Investment (I did do that once for insurance purposes and lets just say we all have our secrets).
  9. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Tell her she's fortunate that you don't have a sailboat. Now theres a real sink hole for money. I have one, by the way.
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Oh man don't say boats. Yes I own a bass boat and that is not a very good subject. :) I think I used the story that the kids wanted to go tubing.
  11. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

Perhaps its a blessing and a curse...While im happy my wife has adopted her own hobby, my fear (based on recent purchases) is that it will surpass my hobby expenses....

Its called Scrapbooking...and my god it is expensive!!
  12. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

I love it, a project in a project!!!!

13. paceway

paceway New Member

You guys are lucky... Try and hide the arrival of two dump trucks full of top soil.. Big trains take a lot of materials... We won't discuss the trips to the local garden center...

My wife has learned to handle it well... She just gets on HSN or QVC and gets even...
  14. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

My wife doesn't worry about it. I finance my hobby partly by brown-bagging my lunch every day, and I spend less on the hobby than my coworkers spend drinking and playing cards. Every once in a very great while the hobby even makes me a little money, though I've still definitely spent more than I've made. :)

As far as smaller scales being cheaper, I'm not sure about that. The individual components are cheaper on average, but since, say, N scale takes up 1/4 the space, you end up buying 4x as much stuff. So the price difference between O an N, assuming $7 buildings, ends up being $12 instead of $33 (assuming $40 buildings in O scale). The entry-level cost is lower, but you'll end up spending the same amount in the long run, assuming the same-sized layout.

And if you want to spend $1500 on a locomotive, you can do that in HO scale if you want, and presumably in N scale too.
  15. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

An interesting topic. My wife has never mentioned the amount of money that I spend on trains and I never complain about what she spends. We are both conservative and never spend more than we can afford. Sometimes I might mention that I am going to cut back on the spending, but I never do. :) I have friends that travel all over the US and to Europe to play golf (and don't take the wives along) so I guess I am considered the good guy. As some one mentioned there are a lot of more expensive hobbies. Boats are a fine example. I have owned several in my lifetime & all have proved that old saying about a boat being a hole in the water into which you throw money. Golf, hunting, fishing, cars all can be much more expensive than trains and they can all be less expensive, depending on how you do them.

On one of the other forums a post mentioned an N gauge aquantence that has 14,000 freight cars and 1,350 engines. Now that is a lot of money in any gauge. Not quite sure why anyone would want that much stuff. You could not even remember what you had without a computer spread sheet.

I have been working on my present layout since I retired in 2001 and probably spend several thousand dollars each year since then. That wouldn't pay for one nice hunting trip. I don't really feel guilty.