My Story

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by thewoodengraver, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I have added a page to my website called "My Story".

I have been waiting until the story had a Happy ending. It has one now.
    It will be percieved as sad, but I do not see it that way. I am grateful for everything in my life!

I do NOT want any of you to treat me any different than you already do, have FUN, PLAY with me.

This is a gift to you! This may help you understand my quirks.
    I LOVE YOU ALL and I never want to hurt or offend anyone here EVER!
  2. josve

josve Active Member

Interesting story. I'm glad you sorted things out , and now have a great life!
  3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

success is getting up one more time than you fall. congratulations. all the best, c.b.
  4. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Well done, Phil!!!!!

As one drunk to another, congratulations on your "birthday". Now, after 365 more days, one at a time, you will have another year of sobriety, and all the good things that can come to he who tries! And you have achieved so much more than sobriety!

(I have been sober since 28 Feb 90, and life is so much better, even if I'm getting old and wearing out. I've had some other tough times, including 2 failed marriages, but #3 is the right one and my life is not the same with her as it was before her. Her example showed me how good the world looks when not seen through a haze of alcohol.)

Never forget that you have friends out here in the rest of the world. Call on us, if you need us.:)

Bob, The Bear with Blue Eyes
  5. Kaz

Kaz Member

No Sympathy? OK.
    But I hope you can take my respect.
  6. hpept

hpept Member

Dear Phil,
    i really appreciated the genuine way you revealed to us your past that many people may consider "sensitive". Hope your life will be constantly improving and going better and better. Wish you joy and luck for all, expecially paper models :grin:

7. Darwin

Darwin Member

That took guts, my friend. You have my respect.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ditto all the previous posts!

Simpathy............ no. Respect and Help if needed. Respect already earned, Help is waiting in the wings until needed!

There is nothing better than a MAN who stands up for himself and takes on the world with no excuses!

Keep on Trucking! And remember you have Friends............

What's the next build you are working on?

9. hey man, you've got balls, to tell your story, thanks Billy
  10. thewoodengraver

I was really scared to come back...until I read all your posts!
    Really? you still want to play with me?:oops:

here's what happened to spark this...

I'm writing a book, I'm contacting tool companies, publishers, all staffed with business-like people I do not feel I fit in with, I tried to email Norm freakin' Abrams from This Old House on PBS to ask if he is willing to write a review about my work.
    I have never had the courage to act in this manner before. I was ON FIRE!!!

I was #1 passenger on the Manic express pulling into Egoland.
    I became bull-headed, rude...
    I emailed Dremel to make them a proposal, I emailed 4 OTHER tool companies with a copy of the same proposal I made to Dremel WITH DREMEL'S NAME STILL ON IT!!!
    I told them, "if you are okay with having your competitor's name on my Magnum Opus, then please DO NOT reply".

I am not really like this, I was just claiming my Power and trying to find a way to use it.

While this attitude MAY have it's place in the business world, it does NOT have a place HERE. My ugliness was starting to show (to me anyway) and I decided it was time to remind myself of what I want to be represented as...
    So, I figured the best way to demote my Ego was to stand naked before you. I have no shame about this. time you see my Ego, remember that he is not in charge, and that Phil will return shortly. If he hurts or offends you, tell me and I will take away his candy.
  11. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I'm right with you on book writing. I've got two novel manuscripts to get published. I've been studying up on how to get published. Fiction and non-fiction are slightly different. For non-fiction you send a proposal to the aquisitions editor of a publisher. She(editors are usually female) is going to be paying a lot of attention to what is called your platform. This is how the publisher will sell your book. They want to see that their is a market for the work so you platform includes all the stuff about how you are an expert on the subject. Your website and involvement on Cardmodeling may be part of this. One publisher that I listened to said that he would rather see people going out and doing their dreams and proposing to write about it than writers proposing that they do something.

I'm writing fiction. For this they expect a completed manuscript. With either we need a pitch which comes in several varieties. Their is the elevator pitch designed to get the attention of someone that you meet in a place like an elevator. It's a one sentence synopsis of your idea. The other type of pitch is written and under a page (although some editors and agents like about three pages.) That page needs to present the idea in an interesting but honest and non-pushy manner.

Most agents and publishers don't accept unsolicited manuscripts and proposals. Even those who claim they do seldom follow through on the claim. To get published you have to serendipitously met up with an agent or editor who is so impressed by the elevator pitch that he or she wants the rest of the story. Hmm. This is very difficult to do if lyou live in a place like Alaska. My plan is to build a platform as an artist and then step sideways into publishing. I have had a nibble from one publisher and one agent.

You might try building a platform by giving workshops in wood engraving.
  12. Texman

Texman Guest

We all have hangups, problems, and histories. But your the only one with
    enough strength and courage to hang it all out. Courage and strength
    are what seperate the true survivors. If you ever need us, we're here, for
    whatever we can do from our keyboards.

Best to ya

13. thewoodengraver

Thank you!!! I'm happy to have good friends here!!!

RE: publishing, I just thought I would mention...

Dremel emailed me and told me first of all that my work is exceptional,
    they then said they will be HAPPY to supply ALL the tools I need to illustrate my pages, and promotions on their website!

They also gave me Two publishers they believe will publish me.
    I already have an editor. Now to finish the book!

John, sorry I missed your question the first time around,
    Card model? I am not allowed to do anything else until I finish the book, that is, during the week, maybe next weekend I will build something...gee, I don't know...TINY?
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

As a TBI sufferer myself, I fully understand the walls you are/were up against and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story and revealing yourself.
    You have brought me to tears.
    The same holds true here as with everyone else, if you ever need someone to lean on, I will always be there for you, my brother!
    I know it took a lot of courage to pour your heart out like you did and I can only hope that someday, I will have the courage to do the same.
    I love you too Phil, and I know I am not alone in saying that!
    You know where to reach me, if you need to and I won't take your candy away either!
    Your Brother, Always,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.