My small yard

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
With limited space and being my first layout I wanted to kep things a bit simple.. that and those darn turnouts cost some money when you have a huge yard. I wanted to have concrete because I figured I could maybe switch it to intermodel easier if I so decide in the future. besides it is my story and I can change it if I want.. :D :D .. the R.R. company decided to just leave it a small yard :D

But anyways here it is...

yd06094.JPG

after the joint compound sets for a few more days I think I will touch up the paint job... I was in a hurry due to excitement..

yd06092.JPG

yd0609.JPG

yd06091.JPG

yd06093.JPG

sapacif

Jun 3, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
Looks good. In fact, very good for concrete. I am unable to get the spackling in between the rails; I use plastic and it leaves gaps because I have to leave room for the wheel flanges. Apparently you have solved this. Do the wheel flanges touch the "concrete?" Also, how did you scribe the cracks in the concrete?

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
It is hard to see but I sanded the spackling down pretty good between the rails and test run all my cars through it... as far as the joints... I cut a piece of styrene the size of a "cement slab" and used it as a guide to scribe the joints in with an exacto knife. I varied some up to look as if they were cut out and replaced as needed over time.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Hmmm....
I'm seeing what remains of a larger industry, that died. The tracks
and cemented area are all that remains.
Your rail line has taken it over as a means of recycling (makes EPA
happy) unused material. Giving possible work and income back to
that area.

Looks very real, especially with that backdrop.
:D

Yes.... I daydream a lot. :rolleyes: ;) :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Great job...looks to me like the remains of an old passenger terminal...or, with the addition of some foundation evidence, an old car or engine shop, burnt out or removed years ago. Crispy Crinkles, you could have fun with this one's history, keep it up.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Did ya ever...

...see something that just looks so right and ya don't know why?

A couple of these pics make me go, "hmmmm"!

I wasn't even planning on it (yet) but I now see how to dress a team track I'll have. Pretty cool!

Thanks.

Mark

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Like the folks have said, this is one reason I keep coming to the Gauge. Every day is a new learning experience. The use of the concrete and trackage is convincing and your addition of the backdrop to the set just added 70 sq. mi. to your layout.

Nice work. :) :) :)