My second layout

jmurphy148

Nov 8, 2007
Cape Coral, Florida
The first one was the n-scale tutorial "Layout for the Absolute Beginner". It never went beyond the track laying stage except that it was wired up enough to have trains running. It now happily resides at the home of a friend. I'm still a beginner but have moved on to this layout with the invaluable help of another friend.

This layout uses Peco code 55 flex track and Peco electrofrog turnouts. The Atlas brand of Lenz LS150's are used to drive the Peco PL10W turnout motors and dcc control is via Lenz set 100. Once block control is implemented using Lenz components, the two main lines will be controlled by Railroad & Company Train Controller software while the freight and loco yards remain manual.

Progress pictures can be seen at Picasa Web Albums - John - Dogbone Junction

Please excuse the poor quality videos. My still camera just isn't cut out to do a decent job of movies. Im looking for a solution to that problem.

John

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
platypus1217.blogspot.com
Wow you have a lot of tracks there.

I was curious about the way you designed your yards. I see you have a separate one for each side of the mainline, but then within each one there also seems to be different areas. For example the orange yard has the horizontal spurs at the bottom, a large block of spurs on an angle in the middle and then a smaller block of spurs on an angle to the left of the larger block. Do these all have different function? What are you planning on using them for?

hot_drjones

Mar 4, 2008
Yarm, UK
Hello, Platypus...
To understand the layout function you have to know that it's divided into an upline(main and sidings in orange), and a downline (mauve). Each has a dogbone running main, a freight-car yard(the rightmost diagonal spurs in each color), and a loco-yard(the leftmost smaller diagonal spurs in each color). Upline trains ALWAYS run from right to left on the bottom-most mains, and downline is opposite direction, always.
Each freightyard allows marshalling and selection of indivdual cars, which are shunted into full-length rakes in the purple sections at the right of the horizontal sidings.
Each loco-yard allows a single express-loco to be selected, and this runs down to the rake standing in the purple section and draws it onto the main.
Trains leaving the main are drawn into the horizontal sidings, broken up and remade by shunters, and unwanted cars are shunted off individually back to the freightyards.
Hope this makes sense!

hot_drjones

Mar 4, 2008
Yarm, UK
Hi, TripleX, the short switchback-lead you refer to is purely for the downline loco-yard and its length is set to accomodate the "longest loco" only.
The very short spurs in this loco-yard have been improved considerably in an updated design.

hot_drjones

Mar 4, 2008
Yarm, UK
Before and after images, showing the transition from virtual to real...

(See more on the Picasa website..)

Attachments

• gradientsPQRS.jpg
    gradientsPQRS.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Bridge2.jpg
    Bridge2.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 6