My scratchbuilt Yard Tower

conraildude1

Here are some pics of my new project. Its a non specific kind of Tower not based on any prototype. As you see the project still needs work on it, I still need windows, AC units, A cooling tower, etc. Im thinking about superdetailing the interior of the Tower with people, desks, stairs maybe and some other stuff.

Attachments

• tower1.jpg
    tower1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 350

jkristia

Interesting project, but I have one question, wouldn't a yard tower like that have windows on 3 sides instead of only on 2?

A super detailed tower with people, desks, maybe a trackplan would be a really nice detail on the layout, just remeber to place it close to the front so visitors can appreciate your details :)

Jesper

conraildude1

Update on Yard Tower

Heres a update on my project, Ive added cell towers to the structure. Ive added several other elements which I'll post soon. Im working on a solution for windows. Im thinking of using clear styrene or a something else to represent angled glass.

conraildude1

heres an updated pic of my scratchbuilt yard

76601970mHMsQw_ph.jpg

shaygetz

Here is a possible solution for your windows that I use on my HO layout. I scratchbuilt the cab for this backhoe from clear styrene and then carefully scribed the frame directly onto the clear "box". The angled front was created by lightly scribing where the bend is, then CAREFULLY folding the styrene without breaking it til the desired angle was acheived. I then painted the portion representing the cab frame black, leaving the windows clear. This made it possible to have the flush mount look common on equipment and buildings these daze. Finally, a light coat of Dulcote frosted the windows enough to hide the fact that there is no interior detailing but not so much that the see thru effect is lost.

Attachments

• backhoe.jpg
    backhoe.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 142