My Scenic Ridge so far

SR39

Jan 14, 2007
Upstate, SC
This is my first time trying to post pics. Hope everything oges o.k. If not I will try again 'til I get it right. As you can see the layout is not complete. I am in the proces of detailing buildings. planting trees etc. Doug (retroguy1953) has provided a lot of guidance. The wiring come next with all the lighting and details.
Jim

Attachments

• DCP_0774.jpg
    DCP_0774.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 282
  • DCP_0775.jpg
    DCP_0775.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 277
  • DCP_0777.jpg
    DCP_0777.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 278

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Jim, your layout looks great :thumb:
I think you have made a excellent work so far and have come a long way with it.
What's the overall size of it?
How have you made it?
And please tell us about your rolling stock. It seems like you have something on the wall :wave:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Very nice work!
Some of the best roads I've seen! :thumb:
I wish I had the money to put into one of those Woodland Senic kits but YIKES they are expensive!

SR39

Jan 14, 2007
Upstate, SC
Thanks for your encouraging comments. The layout is 3' x 6'. It was built on a 1 x 2 frame covered with 1/2 inch foam. It is supported on foldidng table legs that will soon be replaced with a more stable wooden frame that is higher. I don't like the "helecopter" view as someone once said about their layout. If you notice on the right end there are two spurs that will eventually allow expansion. The kit comes with 3 2 ft panels with the layout pre-printed on them. The roads are .40 styrene. painted with grimy black. The road lines were done with a white "Prismacolor" pencil. I will be using some Miller Engineering animated lights along with interior lights in the buildings. Painting the buildings is rather slow . I use an airbrush to paint the entire building and then use a "Microbrush" to paint the window details. If you have never used a microbrush, they are the way to go. They come in a 10 pack at your LHS. The white ones have the finest point. All my engines a Southern right now (diesel). I have one Southern steam. The shadow box on the wall is to display some of my rolling stock that is now sitting in a box. Will post more pics as progress is made.
This is a great forum.
Jim

SR39

Jan 14, 2007
Upstate, SC
Herc Driver,

The units in the picture are SD-35's. ( Atlas ) I have three of them. I also have:

Life Like E8 Southern
Life Like E8 ACL
Kato E8 with the complete Southern passenger cars.
Atlas GP7 Southern
Atlas SD36 SCL
Atlas GP7 SCL

Lots of rolling stock too numerous to list. As you can tell I am a Southern fan. I am a Tarheel originally from High Point. Have lived in SC for over 35 years. I live about 3 blocks from the NS line and I listen to the engineers on my scanner. I wil post some closeups later. Thanks for your nice comments.
Jim

Shooter

Aug 11, 2006
home.att.net
Those Southern "Tuxedos" look great against the green and granite. Nice progess, Jim!

Now we need to get together to bug Trainworx to do a Southern caboose kit like their Rio Grande kit.

---jps

CraigN

May 18, 2006
You have a very nice layout there.

I can't wait to see it with buildings on it.
Craig

SR39

Jan 14, 2007
Upstate, SC
Here are a few closeups of the SD-35's. Please pardon the flash. I am not set up yet to do quality pics. Hopefully that will come later.
Jim

Attachments

• DCP_0778.jpg
    DCP_0778.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 154
  • DCP_0779.jpg
    DCP_0779.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 150
  • DCP_0780.jpg
    DCP_0780.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 149

SR39

Jan 14, 2007
Upstate, SC
Cannonball,
The plan is basically as they prepared it. If you look in picture #2 on the right back you will notice a spur. This was not in the original plan. I added it for a possible future expansion.
Jim

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
SR39 said:
Cannonball,
The plan is basically as they prepared it. If you look in picture #2 on the right back you will notice a spur. This was not in the original plan. I added it for a possible future expansion.
Jim

Cool.
So are the outer loop and the inner figure 8 two seperate loops capable of two trains or do they overlap somewhere?

SR39

Jan 14, 2007
Upstate, SC
The loop overlaps in the moutain area. I added the spurs so that I could expand. My plans are for another 3' x 6' section. Haven't quite figured out the format yet.