My "Project" is coming along well

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by RobertInOntario, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. RobertInOntario

    RobertInOntario Active Member

    A few months ago (see, I described a "kitbashing" project that I was contemplating.

    Well, I've been slowly plugging away at this for the past 2-3 weeks and it's coming along really well and I can't wait to post pics when I'm done.

    Most of the remolding of the loco's body is done -- I've reshaped the loco's body using some modeling putty that I bought at a LHS. I just have to move the location of the steam dome (slightly forward) and do some sanding now. Then I plan to spray paint the loco and then apply 1950's British Railways decals. Hopefully, I'll have this done either this weekend or next week.

    I just have to be careful not to get glue, putty or paint inside, on the loco's motor (I can't remove the plastic body from the chassis). At any rate, it seems as if I am successfully converting this loco from a London Brighton and South Coast Railway E3 to an ex-LMS British Railways F3 !

    I find this exciting as I'm discovering yet another side to this hobby!

  2. Squidbait

    Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic


    I'm guessing you decided not to lower the boiler and shroud the drivers (since you can't separate the shell from the chassis)? That would have been a lot more work!

    Do you have any pics of the work in progress?

    And, to answer the unanswered question from your last thread, the cylinder(s) (as on many British steam locos) were between the frame rails. The lead axel would have a crank shaft built into it to accept the main drive rod from the cylinder.
  3. RobertInOntario

    RobertInOntario Active Member

    Thanks, Squidbait! Maybe I'll try to upload some pix of the work in progress.

    I didn't lower the boiler but I did extend (i.e. add onto) the area around the wheels so that you can no longer see the tops of the wheels. I just hope everything is still reasonably accurate! I've been looking at and referring to lots of pics.

    Yes, there is one area just below the boiler where the frame(?) on the first loco curves upwards -- this should be completely flat or straight on the newer loco. I decided against making this change because (you're right) it would have been a lot of work. I think I could have bungled the project at this point, so I've compromised here. When I upload more pics, this will make sense as it's hard to describe.

    It would be neat to compare this "kitbashed" loco with a new model of the actual loco (that I'm converting it to) -- then my errors would stand out better!

    Thanks again, Rob
  4. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    Rob: can you make the Platelayers' Symposium this month? Bring your loco and puzzle the experts. (Notify Mike Watts if you're coming).
  5. RobertInOntario

    RobertInOntario Active Member

    Thanks again for your feedback, guys. I was comparing [what I believe are some] scale pics of the older LBSC loco with the newer LMS one and Squidbait is right -- the body needs to be lowered sligthly and I haven't done this. While I have extended the the body, I haven't lowered it and don't think I'll be able to. Guess I'll just have to live with this discrepancy! Rob
  6. RobertInOntario

    RobertInOntario Active Member

    Thanks, David! I agree that the Symposium would be a great place to sort out this loco but I'm booked into a conference that day! I'd still like to show it to you sometime though (and return your book and video as well!). Cheers, Rob

Share This Page