my program track dont work

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by bspun, Apr 8, 2007.

1. bspun

bspun New Member

ok equipment prodigy advanced decoder is the mrc 1626 ho diesel sound decoder.
    its hooked up just like instruction say to the track is clean the contacts are clean on the loco. i place my loco on the track turn on the power select loco #3 and nothing happens i double checked everything twice i'm lost to whats wrong. this is on a test track with a 20 ohm resistor hooked the the program track connections help me please:cry:
  2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

What is it that you're trying to do..?? When I place a loco on a program track (I'm using Digitrax) and turn on the power...nothing happens either. I can program, but that's all. Can you program..??
  3. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

What are you trying to do? The program track in my opinion, is for nothing more than reading a decoder. All programming can be done from the main. And why do you have a resistor in line?:thumb:
  4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

bspun:wave:, i have Prodigy Advance, and have the MRC 1626 sound decoder in a few of my engines.

OK, first question: why are you trying to use the program track? i have NEVER had to use the program track to program or do ANY CV configurations to ANY sound decoder i have, INCLUDING the MRC 1626, you can do it all on the fly:thumb:(mainline while running, just make sure NO other engines are on the track;)). i have programed WELL OVER 65 sound decoded engines ON the mainline WITH Prodigy Advance:thumb:.

are your program track wires connected to the back of the Prodigy Advance unit where it says "program track"?

is the MRC 1626 sound decoder installed correctly?

perhaps a wire have been knocked off the sound decoder, you might want to check that.

what brand engine did you put it in?

was the engine DCC ready?

is it an Athearn "DCC READY" engine? if so, and you just plugged the 8 pin plug on the sound decoder into the 8 pin socket on the Athearn "DCC READY" circuit board...THATS THE PROBLEM. Athearns 8 pin sockets on there circuit boards are SO SLOPPY you will NEVER be able to "just plug and play" like you would with other manufactures engines circuit boards;) have to break out the soldering gun:(. (if it IS an Athearn "DCC READY" engine, you'll have to HOT WIRE the sound decoder in.)

PLEASE let me know the answers to these questions, like i said, I HAVE the SAME equipment YOU ARE USING, i am sure we can get this straightened out:thumb:.

:D -Deano
  5. bspun

bspun New Member

yes its hooked up the program connectiona yes the 1626 is installed correctly no it wasnt dcc ready brand of engine is a bachmanm
  6. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

OK, so if it ISN'T a DCC ready engine, you have "hot wired" the sound decoder in. my guess is you are experiencing a constant short;). there is metal from the wheels touching the frame, OR, the motor. can you check for this? can you post a pic so i can see the unit? OR, you have soldered one or more wires in wrong. :) -Deano
  7. bspun

bspun New Member

answer to throroughbreed

my instruction for decoder told me to build a test track with a 20 ohm resistor inline so i wouldnt damage the decoder
  8. bspun

bspun New Member

i checked

i used a pc board mounted. each wire is isolated from the others no metal has grounded out with anything i can see .
  9. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

i am still 99.9% convinced the problem IS NOT with the Prodigy Advanced. can you post any pics of the unit, shots of how you installed the sound decoder. I'm sorry, but i have the Prodigy Advance, and have installed sound decoders in TONS of engines:thumb:, i just slap think there is something you might have overlooked on the sound decoder install. :)-Deano
  10. bspun

bspun New Member

ok guys ty alot

i dont know what i did but it works now :) :oops:
  11. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

bspun:wave:, darn GLAD to hear its working now!:thumb: i wonder what it was?:confused: i hope you enjoy that sound decoder as much as i do mine:thumb:, i like the way they operate, the sound isn't bad, and they give you quite a few choices to work with on them;). :D -Deano