My printer is against me. . .

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Let me explain why: I am trying to print a model at "fast draft" resolution, so I don't waste ink(I plan on re-painting the kit, so I am printing it with a minimum of ink usage). When I get to the printer settings in Pepakura, I select "Fast Draft" and "Grey Scale: Black Only" because it's a vanilla model. Then I go to print it and it starts printing at normal resolution! I figure it's just a fluke, so I cancel the print, delete it from the printer's memory, then I make sure I had the correct settings. I did, so I try it again. Same story: normal level of resolution. So I change the default of the printer to "Fast Draft" and restart the computer. It *still* prints at normal resolution!! I don't mind it so much on this, but this also happens on builds which are colored! What the frack am I doing wrong?!

This is an HP Photosmart 8450 printer, btw.

EDIT; Okay, now I'm royally T'd off! It won't print >at all< now!
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

you got a HP?sign1

just kidding ,try using the printer settings and not pep.
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

I actually worded that wrong. I meant to say that when the print screen comes up after hitting the "print" button I reset it to "Fast Draft" and "Grey-scale". I had been using Pepakura at the time and needed a model printed off.
  4. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Try adjusting your printer properties. It may be cancelling the instructions from pep and printing in a default mode.

Just a guess.

Cheers JTF
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Maybe a printer driver problem? Try reinstalling the printer driver or check if there is an update and install the updated driver if available. :)

If that doesn't work, a rather large, heavy hammer usually helps. Might not be good for the printer, but it helps. wall1
  6. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

I have a C3180 HP printer and it sounds like the settings are the same. Set it to Fast/Economical printing, Fast Draft, Gray Scale (set to black ink only), and check the color setting --- it should also say black ink only.

Set this way, it prints faster, but looks to me just like the normal printing. I can't see any difference in resolution like I could on other printers!

7. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

I won't venture a guess as to why it decided not to print at all.

Suggestion: turn everything off, reboot, and try again! (Ever heard that one before????????????):rolleyes:

8. Millenniumfalsehood

Well, technically it fed eight sheets through but did nothing to them.

If I had the CD, I'd re-install it myself, but I have 1,000,000 CDs so I'm not too keen on checking every last one of them. Maybe it's time to get a new printer. . . .
  9. stackw

stackw Highly Dangerous Mind...

I remember having some trouble like this in a F(x)300 HP.... I solved it printing to pdf (with easy pdf creator, a nice freeware) and the printing the model from the Adobe Reader. Pepakura really appears to have some kind of problem with printing drafts, and it is not only in the HP's printers. IF some of you are a hero (like me) and have a Lexmark, you know what I am talking about...
  10. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

What about trying somebody else's computer/printer?

Or printing to via adobe acrobat

Just a thought