My own goose - part 1

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I borrowed a digital camera last night and took a few shots. Here's where my own goose is at...

Start with the Old Time 3-in-1 kit from Roundhouse for the floor, trucks and box cab diesel.

Instead of the old box car, I used an old reefer to get the right style doors. It means my goose has a metal end, not wood, and hatches in the roof, but it adds character(!). I also got an old "rear wheel drive" engine from Bachmann, since I want the goose to go!

Attachments

• goose kit plus.jpg
    goose kit plus.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 166

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Part 1b

Cut the end off everything...

It is a diiferent reefer - I cut it up before I had the camera...

Attachments

• goose parts.jpg
    goose parts.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 218

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Part 1c

Here is a dry fit of the parts from the previous picture.

Next is the hood/engine for the front end, and a plow. I made the hood last night, but no picture. It is cut from just behind the cab of the engine in pic#1, so it's got screening on the sides, and rivets on the top. Picture to follow...

Andrew

Attachments

• goose assembly 1.jpg
    goose assembly 1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 230

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Dry fit of major parts

Here is a shot of all the major parts complete, and dry fitted. Nothing is glued yet!

Andrew

Attachments

• goose front-right.jpg
    goose front-right.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 185
I think that's superb MasonJar!
For years my wife has bugged me to make a "goose" as I refused to spend $400 on a brass one for her!
The motor/powered truck looks remarkably like the one fitted in the B/mann street car. I think you just brought me closer to building such a charmer.
I'm assuming the spoked wheels came with the MDC Old-Time kit (I didn't know that kit existed!).

Dang!! my wife just passed by and saw your Goose :eek: . She's tugging at my sleeve now saying "There you go, there's the gen on how to do it!!!). Woe is me :( :( . Looks like I have no excuse now.

Errol

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Sorry about that...

Thanks for the comments!

It was pretty easy actually. My last real model building experience was a looooong time ago with 1:72 planes, and that was following the instructions!

I got the kit for $1 at an auction at my local club. It includes a Harriman coach floor, a 40' box car with steel sides and wood ends (I substituted the reefer), and a box cab diesel.

I added the Bachmann engine, some brass sheeting, and a tongue depressor (front end of the engine compartment!) to finish it the way you see it.

I don't know about the drive from the street car, but when you take the shell off the engine, the motor and wheels are all one unit. I just snipped off the leads to the front wheel pick-ups and headlight, and there you go!

I am very happy with how it is turning out, although I have yet to tackle my biggest fear - painting and weathering!

Good luck.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
David...

It is a dummy. I have a completed dummy (the one in the first picture) and the one that came in the kit that is now all sliced up. The completed one was a gift form my Dad. It has a really heavy duty metal chassis and is designed as a track cleaner. Maybe it could be powered up?

The one from the kit has a plastic chassis / floor and plastic trucks.

If you choose not to kitbash a goose, you can turn the kit into a 40' box car and a dummy box cab, with a few parts left over.

Andrew

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Giddy-up Goose!

Nice work!

It really demontrates the concept of "Combine". :D

Those Bachmann power trucks with the pancake motors are great for this kind of project.

I've got a few of them as well as some from LL.

The ones from LL are almost identical, but have plastic wheels so I will have to convert them to metal and add wipers before using them.

The best part is that you can find these second hand for only a couple of bucks...

Not as good as power trucks from NWSL, but the price is right.

Errol, have you started you wifes Goose yet??? :eek:

With parts from my scrap box, the diecast car and some styrene, the Humber Valley & Simcoe Goose has cost under $20.00CAD. At this rate, I hope to have a whole flock of geese...

Ron, I have so very much yet to do on my N layout that the goose is on my "to do list" (if I ever find a set of spoked wheels for the front end) :( .

The up side? .. She's getting enthusiasic about the teeny weeny N gas station I'm scratchin .... Whew, it's a heap easier than scratchin a goose :) :)

Errol