My optimus build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by paulhbell, Sep 15, 2010.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

I seen a few builds of Jule's optimus prime, so I thought I'd start to put some build pics up as well.

This has took up most of my modelling time lately, when I had time. Now new job= more building time.

His heads finished, body is finished, hips are finished, now working on his legs. This guy sure has big feet. I wanted to start on the legs before the arms because I wanted to see how tall he really is.

This build, when finished, is for my 5 year old nephew, he is nuts about all the transformers from the early cartoons to the new movies. I want to have him finished for christmas, I think I'm going to make a case for optimus with a clear front.

Attached Files:

2. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Nice build so far Paul very nice!
  3. ajroemisch

ajroemisch That Guy

Wow i am blown away with this. are you using a pre-designed model or are you making as you go along?
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

The model is a free download model from have a hunt around and you'll find it. Also the files are password protected, but if you look around you'll find it.
  5. sorcerer1089

sorcerer1089 New Member

:thumb:Two words... Blue LED's:thumb:
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

Yep, I know. Seen another build that already has leds, looks good.

Might be a bit hard to go back and put them in the head now. Maybe easier to build another head.
  7. Mccall101

Mccall101 New Member

I've never been big into Transformers but anything robotic like them always reminds me of Power Rangers
  8. LordPuki

LordPuki New Member

I've been waiting until all the parts were available and I get some actual downtime before attempting this one, but I think I'm finally ready to give it a shot.
  9. Gepzo

Gepzo New Member

Is he going to be about 4 feet tall? That looks HUGE! Is it card stock, or are you using cardboard or foam to shore it up?
  10. named50

named50 New Member

Wow! very nice job Paul.

I have seen the picture of its full-standing version, it is really big :D

(please check this link and this)
  11. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

up to his knee

I've been watching your build on face book, your doing a good job with the updates.

A bit of an update, This is up to what I assume to be his knee. I've put a metal rule behind the leg and at this stage it is 17inch/430mm high.

This guy sure has big feet.

Attached Files:

12. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

Lower leg number 1 finished. Bit of advice for anyone building this, make sure that the hinges for the ankle and knee are stronge enough to support the weight. I have filled any parts I could with shredded paper/card, better than throwing it in the recycle bin. Next up is the upper leg and the hip joint, also going to start on the other foot.

Attached Files:

13. This is amazing. Not sure if I'd ever have the patience to take on a build like this.
  14. smelter273

smelter273 New Member

Wow. That's incredible especially due to the amount of paper required.
  15. NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005 Member

Hi Paul,

What cardstock are you using for this model and what size will the overall model be?

In feet and inches.

16. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler New Member

Omg, how long are you working on this one?
  17. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

NSCXP2005, I've used various card for the different parts. For the head I've used 80 gsm and 120gsm card. For the body I've used 120gsm and 160gsm card. For the legs I have only used 160gsm. Most of the hollow parts are filled with shredded paper/card. As for size, not sure yet, but I've seen other people posting a finished size of 1.3M.

Nightcrawler, started this July last year(2009), thats when the head was first put up for download at Not worked on it every day though, sometimes had months away from it. Not sure how many hours I've spent on it. I do know that others have finished it though and they look better builds than mine.
  18. JoseOmatic

JoseOmatic New Member

Holy cow! I thought this was going to be the G1 Optimus. Very Awesome
  19. Eyeonmal

Eyeonmal New Member

Hey Paul, that is seriously amazing, you have inspired me, I think I will have to make my own hey. How do you scale up the build? Did you use Pepakura or similar program?