My old train set

thomas_fan

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,
Sorry I haven't posted- I haven't forgotten you guys! Just got back from a holiday and getting everything sorted. Just thought I'd post some pics of my old train set before I take it apart. Keep in mind it hasn't been used for 10years and after being smashed in a move and spiders making a few homes in it, it doesn't look as good as it once did.
The mountains have also disintergrated a fair bit.
trains 002 (Small).jpg

trains 003 (Small).jpg

trains 004 (Small).jpg

trains 005 (Small).jpg

trains 007 (Small).jpg

So there is a fair bit of track to work with. But I guess it will have to be cleaned! I've also included a pic of the train collection. I've noticed everyone tends to do there models set in a particular era. Can anyone recommend a good site for finding eras that trains belong too?

trains 001 (Small).jpg

Cheers, Kate

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Looks like the rolling stock is in great shape. May need some cleaning and lubrication. I'm afraid the mountains look a bit tattered. Since I'm not into European/Thomas equipment, I'll leave the era thing to the experts.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Nice layout! :thumbs: As for finding eras, are you going to model european or American prototypes? I find that if you discover a roadname you like, you use that roadname for your layout, if your don't want to go freelance, like me.

thomas_fan

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I'm hoping to start over rather than use that layout and try to redo. As you can see most of the scenery is a bit basic though a lot of things were taken off the board before we moved and are waiting in with other bits and pieces that were bought along the way. Hopefully as I progress, I'll get better at that kind of thing. I've been sooo impressed with some of the work I've seen posted on this forum.
Before I start the big layout I was going to get a small board that I can use as a practice run to have a go at scenery, buildings and the like.
Still don't know what era/ time the layout will be based on. I was hoping to find some info on the 2 trains I have there. (The Thomas and Percy in the back row are wind ups- it was that Thomas and a loop of track that started the whole thing!) I'm afraid I'm not that knowledgable about trains themselves but that will be one for Google!

thomas_fan

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
All the buildings were Hornby kits. They do look quite good though because they're cardboard they tend to get damamaged quite easily as well. I believe I still have a few unmade kits in the stash though I'm keen to try making some from different companies as well, for example plastic model kits, and would like to have a crack at models from scatch.