My Next Project

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yes that does help. Now it appears that I'm going to have to start over as I was making the skeleton of a dove not an eagle(see edit of last post).
  2. Maurice

Maurice Member

To some extent a bird is a bird .....
    compare with
    and there are variations in proportions but not in basics.
    To my mind the length of the femur implies geometrical limits to it's range of movement as a part of the leg system, functioning more as a flexible base or extension of the hip rather than fully in the way our femur does. After all we don't need to use our legs over such a wide range.

PS BTW I don't know the first thing about the functioning of birds bones. :grin:
  3. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Bird Legs

That harpy eagle repro is something else. That's a spectacular example of good resin casting. And a spectacular example of pricing quality products!!! Thanks, Maurice.

Comparing that to the "dove" skeleton in Wikipedia ((I think, from the thickness of the bones, that it's a pigeon. Fancy ornithologists call them Rock Doves)), you can make a pretty good working model in your mind. When the Harpy strikes, the leg joints will all extend, making an almost straight line from the middle of the foot all the way to the pelvic bones. Then fold them all up, and the fish is right against the belly.

I'm looking forward to seeing Will's eagle.:grin:

4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I'm hoping Maurice is right and that proportions are close enough to be easily adjusted. Right now I'm in process of tracing a couple of pics of eagles one with wings fully extended and the other just about to land in a tree. The one landing in the tree will help me get the spine the right shape and length and the plan view will help when I start putting the wings on. If anyone knows of any links to pics of Golden eagles with wings spread and are as close to directly under them as possible (the best one I have is angled a little away from the camera so it's going to need some tweaking) that would be helpful.
  5. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Bird spines

Hey Will,

First off, except for minor differences, most birds skeletons are pretty much the same, so if you get parts sorted out, nearly any bird skeleton will work for you.

Look really close at the Vogelskelett photo. The pelvis extends (in that photo) up to the position of the "elbow". From there forward to about halfway the length of the humerus (in pix), the vertebrae are fused together. You can see the joint at the base of the neck where the neck vertebrae join the fused part of the spine.

Except for the neck and the tail, the spine is rigid, so from front to back, the spine is always in the same position. That should make it easier for you! (Think of the problems in an airplane that wasn't rigid from front to back.)

[Useless scientific trivia: Notice that the pelvis isn't closed on the belly side --easier egg laying. And the bony structure making up the pelvis in birds is named the innominate bone, which means "nameless". { What's your dog"s name? Nameless!}:cry:

Keep on pluggin!

{Darn, this is hard for a teacher who doesn't have a blackboard!!!:grin: }
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks guys for your input it's appreciated and as with my Corsair I have a feeling that this project won't be possible without lots of help from others.

Here is what I'e come up with so far:

This is the skeleton with the little spheres being placed at the joints to make selecting the right point a little easier.

To get the shape of the spine for the pose I want I used Rhinos background bitmap option so I could trace the shape:

Then I superimposed it on the 3d model and scaled it to fit:

Obviously due to the perspective issues and not being a perfect side view I've got some tweaking to do but it appears at least for the moment that the dove skeleton is a close enough match for what I'm doing.

I think the legs will be extended more than in the pic I traced so that it's closer to landing and can be mounted/displayed easier.

More to follow.
  7. sylcom

sylcom New Member

Hello guys,

I'm late on this post. Why don't you go to a museum and speak with scientist to explain your project. You could take pictures, mesure and draw the parts you need. It wiil be very helpfull espacially for the volume and the length of the feathers