My New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Dave Farquhar, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

It's a couple of days early but it seems appropriate after reading a few irritating threads elsewhere arguing that O scale is more popular than HO scale (I guess that means my Kansas City Royals are more popular than the New York Yankees too), arguing about post counts, and rivet-counting on Lionel 6464 box cars. I saw this suggestion somewhere (I wish I remembered where) and now I'm going to take it to heart.

Spend 15 minutes a day working on the layout.

Finding 15 minutes should be easy. Just spend 15 fewer minutes on forums. At the end of the year, 15 minutes per day turns into 91 hours and 15 minutes, which is more time than I could spend if I cashed in a year's worth of vacation time and spent it working on the layout (we all know how good those chances are--I'd stand a better chance of ending the longstanding war between cats and dogs).

Here are some 15-minute projects I've accomplished in the last couple of weeks.

1. Drill holes in the supports under my layout to run bus wires.

2. Run bus wires under the layout. I needed four, so it took multiple sessions.

3. Run one set of feeder wires from the track to the bus wires.

4. Wire one building.

5. Remove one building and add window glazing to it. Divide into multiple days if necessary.

Need other ideas? OK.

Assemble one Plasticville building.

Place a couple of figures on the layout to create a mini vignette. Every square inch that doesn't have track on it can tell a story, and on the best layouts, they do.

Install one streetlight. Wiring it can be the next day's project if necessary.

Make one tree.

After two weeks, my layout runs better (it still needs more feeder wires before it'll run as well as I'd like, but that's OK--I have time) and looks far better. I've also learned new things, or remembered things I'd forgotten long ago. I also managed to sneak in more than 15 minutes on Christmas Day and yesterday. I got a lot done, but I think the 15-minute sessions in the days leading up to those days really set the table and let me get even more done when I had bigger blocks of time to work with.
  2. scubadude

scubadude Member

3. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I think that's a good resolution for any scale! Sometimes the number of projects I have or the amount of time I expect they will take leads me to procrastinate and just "settle" with how things are instead of enjoying improving buildings, scenery, rolling stock, etc. Good one Dave!
  4. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

"Spend 15 minutes a day working on the layout."
    Great suggestion!
    My goal was going to be 'spend 1 hour a day on the layout', but I know from 2007's experience that doesn't happen way too often, then it gets discouraging, then I stop trying to do it at all.
    Spend 15 minutes a day working on the layout is now on my daily to-do list. (And if I end up spending an hour, I get to feel good about it!)
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I wish I could spend that much time each day doing anything. I have often thought I should give up a few things just to have some extra time to do some fun things each day.