My new website

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by spitfire, Jan 10, 2005.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I've been working hard all weekend, and I'm happy to announce that I have completed my new website!

The old website proved to be too ambitious, trying to cover too many things, so I've scaled back and this one will concentrate on my layout.

It's called the Parkdale Yard Limit and you can find it here or by clicking the link in my sig.

Any and all comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

That's cool Val, is there supposed to be pictures on the front page? all I got was the navigation bars on the left and text down the middle.
  3. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Good website Val. More roster pics please!
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Scott, no pix on the front page. Think I need some?

Glen, thanks. I'd like to have more roster pix too, I guess I better get more engines!! :D

5. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

The way you have the text made me think there should be pixs on both sides of it. IMHO, pictures make the site, It makes the page open slower, but I think it worth it. Mabye one of that Hudson?
  6. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Sorry, Val.... but it just shows a Yahoo advisory that the site is temp. unavailable.
    I'll try later... Bob
  7. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

:) :thumb: :) :thumb: :) :thumb: :) :thumb:
  8. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hi Val,
    Good looking web site but I too was led to expect pics the way the text on the home page goes down the center in a narrow column. Very cool gallery of proto photos for reference.
  9. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Val, I finally made it to your web site, and it's GREAT ! You "build" web sites as well as you do layouts..... always an outstanding job.

10. jkristia

jkristia Member

Looks great Val, But... when I go to the "Layout Pix" page, shouldn't I be able to see the pictures in full size (e.g. 800x600)?. In my opinion, 800x600 is the smallest size for a picture if you want to be able to see any details, e.g. I'm sure your "Lunch counter under construction." has some awesome details, I just can't see them in this thumbnail sized picture.

Besides from that, it's a great looking site, and I can't wait to see more pictures of your layout progress.

11. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Val, great website. You have done a great job so far and i will keep checking on back for more updates. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks for all the helpful comments folks!!

Ralph, I'm puzzled. The type in the center of the home page isn't supposed to be in a narrow column, and it isn't on my computer. Grrr - this is what makes website building so difficult - all the different browsers and operating systems out there.

My ISP recently partnered with Yahoo, so now instead of having a regular looking website, we now get cheesey Geocities sites, complete with pop-ups and insanely tight bandwidth limitations. Some improvement!!! Anyway, I discovered the site was unavailable and took immediate action. I now have it hosted on a dedicated server, for a mere $4/month so you won't get that message ever again!!! :) :)

Jesper, if you click on the layout pic thumbnails, it should open a bigger pic in a new window.

I guess I still have tweaking to do, but that's why it's great to have other people check. I always miss something! LOL!

13. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Val, I too get a tight column of text down the center of the page, one word per line.

What software are you using to create the HTML code?
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Try it now Will - I just went in and edited it by hand. I'm using Dreamweaver. It's ok but sometime does funny things to tables.

15. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Val, I meant for you to fill in the missing roster picture, not add more engines to your roster! I'd like to see a pic of your FA-1, since I've got one coming in the next week or so.
  16. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Ok Glen. I'll do it later tonight :)

17. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Hi Val:

Great website, especially the Gallery. Anytime I miss Toronto (which I do occasionally), I guess I can go there and drool. Thanks for this latest display of your talents.
  18. jkristia

jkristia Member

That's what I would expect, but nothing happens, maybe it's one of these Internet Explorer / Mozilla incompatible thing.
    Ha, I know what it is, I just tried with Internet Explorer. The problem is that I have popup blocked in Mozilla to prevent me from being flooded with popup adds. So, one suggestion, instead of a popup, show the picture in the same frame, and then have a prev/next button on top, and also, the pictures in the popup are (in my opinion) too small.

19. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

Hi Val,

The site looks really great, very clean to navigate. By the way, it looks great in Safari, no problems with placement.

20. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Outstanding Val!