My new Shay

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
My Atlas Shay arrived today from Fifer Hobbies. I have had a close look at it and wonder if I can convert it from N gauge to Nn3. There has been some discussion on this in the Nn3 forum elsewhere but so far, nobody has actually tried it.
I do need a standard gauge loco for my logging area so just may leave this one alone as it looks so delicate. I will then need to make a climax in Nn3 in the same way Tyson made his..

Attachments

• shay.jpg
    shay.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 229

Matthyro

Jay, It runs like a dream. I use address 00 in my digitrax as there isn't a decoder in the loco.
At throttle setting 20 it runs at what I consider prototypical speed of about ten miles and hour. At a throttle setting of 30 it runs at full throttle at about 20 miles an hour. Perfect for this shay that will normally just be creeping around. The action on the right side is amazing. The bottom of the 3 connecting rods are visible where they connect to the crankshaft and the action is visible. The crankshaft powers drive shafts which then are geared to the wheels. The drive shafts are telescopic so the loco can go around curves. It can handle down to a ten inch radius. I haven't tested its pulling power yet.

Tyson Rayles

Robin I don't think I would want to try to regauge it myself. If you get the wheels regauged for Nn3 they probably will be out of whack with the driveline won't they?

Lighthorseman

Love Those Geared Lokies!

Simply amazing. You know, if it weren't for the fact that you said it's N scale, I'd have had a hard time guessing. It's a beaut, Robin. :thumb:

Matthyro said:
Jay, It runs like a dream.

I haven't tested its pulling power yet.
cool, sounds like a winner, might have to get one myself, been eyeing them for awhile now. let me know how many you can pull. I'm betting about 60-70 cars on a flat, maybe 100. ;)

Matthyro

Bob, my Atlas GP40-2 runs about three times as fast on the same settings so you can tell the gearing on the shay is low but that's expected.
Jay here it is pulling a string of 30 cars. Kinda slow but it could probably pull more if needed but in the logging section of my layout it probably won't pull more than 10.

Attachments

• shay1.jpg
    shay1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 152

shaygetz

Great pic, Robin. I remember years ago a shay was made for N scale by Joe Works Flying Zoo that was really way too big, many were adapted to HOn30 with little trouble. That puppy looks just right :thumb: :thumb:

RailRon

I love that little lokey, Robin. And she seems to be a great performer, too!
Makes me almost wish I was still in N scale... :D :D :D

Ron

Matthyro

Ron, when I see the fantastic shays in HO and G scales then I am the one to wish I was in a larger scale. The one I saw in G scale is to die for.