My new layout

fifer

That is some very good progress there and it looks great.
I never thought of hot glue for the riser attachments. :thumb:

Mike

3phase

Here's more pixtures as i build more. Laying the track shouldn't take me a long time, it may not be the best job looks wise but i'll get that done quickly. It's a small layout so it dont take much track to put it all togher.

What will take me a long time is the scenery, I plan to scratch build alot of things.

progress2.jpg

The 3 tracks to the far left wont be seen.

3track.jpg

3phase

Oh yeah, i stoped using the foam bedding for a few reasons, I have herd that the main reason is to cut down on the noise, I dont care about the noise. If i decide to use bedding in future layouts i will probably go with cork. one reason i have stoped using the foam bedding is the track becomes uneven due to how far i drive the nail in, I havn't found a way to make them all even. I have found alot of spots that are so bad the train derails.

I have also learned that if i solder the track before i naile it around a turn the track will have a much better result of alighnment. I have had a real bad time with the track ends wantinting to stay straight making a sort of V in the curve.

3phase

well i recorded a small VIDEO for you all to download and watch of my layout in action so far.

It's a 24.7 MB file in AVI format and it's 1 minute and 23 seconds long. for those of you on dial-up this means like a 30 minute doanload so be prepared.

I hope you enjoy it and maybe some of you can give me feedback for ideas!!

P.S dont mind the fan running in the background, It's hot here in Florida... :p

3phase

I started to work on the 3rd levle today. It is still in step 1 but it's comming togher.

First i draw a line where i want the next levle to be cut. Than i trace it onto sheets of paper.
tracing3rdlevle.jpg

trace23rdlevle.jpg

After i get a good trace i'll convert the line to my next levle of wood and cut it with the trusty jigsaw.

parts of the mountian are going to look it was carved for the train, you will see alot of blasted slate in a verticle wall.

3phase

I did a little bit more work today, got the 3rd levle cut out and ready for track planning.
all%20done.jpg

A look from the sky, this is two pictures glued togher in photo shop and they didn't exactly line up...
whole%20table.jpg

I'll keep yall poasted!!.

MyChewToy

Wow really great job so far. I have been thinking about something like this so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions.

1. What is the size of your benchwork ? If you posted that earlier sorry if I missed it.
2. Is that 1/2 plywood or 3/4 for the bottom and each additional level ?
3. Is this all going to be single track / single train there and back or are you building it to all for multiple trains ?

I have DCC so I would really like to do something like this with multiple trains and schedules , etc. Anyway looks great! Keep the pics coming!

3phase

MyChewToy said:
Wow really great job so far. I have been thinking about something like this so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions.

1. What is the size of your benchwork ? If you posted that earlier sorry if I missed it.
2. Is that 1/2 plywood or 3/4 for the bottom and each additional level ?
3. Is this all going to be single track / single train there and back or are you building it to all for multiple trains ?

I have DCC so I would really like to do something like this with multiple trains and schedules , etc. Anyway looks great! Keep the pics coming!

Hi MyChewToy and welcome to the Gauge, I see this is your first post. I hope you enjoy the site. Please read all you can, everyone here shares alot of very usefull information. You can learn alot from them.

I'm using 1/2" plywood for every levle with a 2' clearance. When I'm finnished laying track I will have a total of 4 blocks "curcuit" all connected with turnouts. I'm using regular dc for now. If i was to use dcc i would make it all one block. I will be running 4 diffrent engines on the layout.

spitfire

Wow!!! Just caught this thread now - you've made amazing progress!!!! :thumb: Looks like the multi-level will provide a lot of interest. Just curious - have you checked your engines on the grade? There's nothing more frustrating than building something according to accepted tolerances only to find the equipment you actually have won't work on it.

Val

3phase

spitfire said:
Wow!!! Just caught this thread now - you've made amazing progress!!!! :thumb: Looks like the multi-level will provide a lot of interest. Just curious - have you checked your engines on the grade? There's nothing more frustrating than building something according to accepted tolerances only to find the equipment you actually have won't work on it.

Val
Yes i have, so far i only have 2 engines and i only have 2 levles so far. My large steamer can go up to the second levle but it isn't pretty due to the tight radius.

The other one i have works flawlessley.

I have another comming my way from ebay. As a rule of thumb the tighter radius i use the smaller wheele base i have to use. The one from ebay i'm getting is about 2 1/2 inches overall length. I'll use very small coal cars with it. only about 6 cars.

For the last levle i'm going to use ofe of "the old time steamers" like bachman uses with small passanger cars, only about 3.

It should all work out very well.

belg

3 phase I was just thinking the same thing as Val about working tolerances and I guess as long as you are working with only small cars everything should be fine. The reason I was thinking problem was the very tight radius into the turn on the right lower section, its just one of those things that will become a problem with larger pass. cars and larger engines. If you could make it slightly smoother it might be closer to scale as well. Just my 2C's I wish I could get on my work table like you but at 350 and 6' 6" thats not happening. Pat

3phase

This is my first layout that i'm going to get the moste skill from. My first layout i built about 7 years ago only consisted of 2 tracks and i gave up.

The reason i'm sorta stuck with my decision of layout for now is the space i have to play with in my appartment. I'm laying all the track carefull enough so i can take it up later after i move in the summer time.

All summed up this is just something for me to play with for now. After i move i hope to have a room to play with and the skill to make it look real to my eyes.

If i'm pleased with the way this layout looks i just might put it in the living room in my new home if i have the space to show it off, It has planty of storage space!!

It's all for the love to tinker!!

Knifeguy

3phase said:
I'm going to put a plexiglass wall on the fromt and sids to keep the curious cats from jumping on the layout after i get more done to it.

Great work on the layout. Really nicely detailed with the pictures. I am looking forward to seeing your next pictures.

As far as Cats go, good luck. I have three. Mainly with my N, partly HO, and even the O under the tree; they will get to the layout no matter how well you have it protected, derail the trains, and knock over structures. :)

I have concluded that I have to close the door to the basement where my layouts are. No cats allowed. Even then, the other day , one snuck down, and was stuck there for a day. I went down a day later, while on the computer, and noticed havoc had been wreaked on my layout. :cry: