My new industrial layout

Loren, I think you used several paper structures in your layout (which I find ubber cool since I can easily buy them in the internet). I live in the Philippines, and there is no local model railroad hobby shop in the country. I see that one of your structures is the factory from scalescenes. Where else did you get the other paper models? I like the ones in scalescenes, but they look very challenging to build (I checked the free small warehouse, and it frightened me). I have the complete set of New England structures from fiddlersgreen.net. What I like about them is that they are relatively easy to build. But I am planning to make some industries, so I'm looking for some structures. Btw, I've finished making a personally made but simple passenger station out of paper. I can put it in the internet for free downloads. And I'm currently planning to make a paper freight house and freight depot out of plans from magazines. I can make it publicly available, too, when they are done. :)

Mike B.

Nomad

Hi Mike:wave:
Your right. Some of the buildings are cardstock. And 2 are from scalescenes. The scalescene building did not seem that hard to build, just repetitious from building up layers of cardstock. I think cardstock is a good meduim for structures, especially if you add details.
I found the other building by doing a internet search for " free paper buildings " and found quite a few. They are in different scales but you can reset your printer to print real close to scale. The cardstock modelers section of this forum also has some buildings in there download section, and the people there are a big help if you have a question ( just like here ).
In fact, here's a website for you with free buildings.

http://www.illinoishistory.gov/ps/construct_mainstreet.htm

Good luck.

Loren

Nomad

Well, finally have some progress to show. The left side of my layout now has the first layer of ground foam, the track is ballasted, concrete has been poured, and I even made some trees.

Loren

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 15

jesso

Looking good!:thumb: Your buildings look good! How did you make your trees? Keep up the good work!

I look forward to see a picture of your layout this December. By Christmas, your layout will probably be complete.

I'm curious, but why are train sets so popular in the US during Christmas?

Loren, what kind of turn outs did you use? Manual or remote?

Also, where did you get the structure on the upper left corner of your picture?

Lastly, are the cars in the picture to scale, or "close enough?" I've got some trucks claiming to be 1:87(they weren't bought from a hobby shop), but I have a convertible car that seems much smaller than the trucks.

Nomad

I look forward to see a picture of your layout this December. By Christmas, your layout will probably be complete.

Lastly, are the cars in the picture to scale, or "close enough?" I've got some trucks claiming to be 1:87(they weren't bought from a hobby shop), but I have a convertible car that seems much smaller than the trucks.

Hello Mike:wave:

As far as the train sets, I don't know:confused:
The turnouts are all manual. Look here. http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162538

The big building is the Lifelike Supply House. http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/433-1398

The vehicles are close enough. I am the same. I have a car i bought at the hobby shop and it is much smaller then the rest. It's hard to find to scale vehicles around here.

Loren

Nomad

Looking good!:thumb: Your buildings look good! How did you make your trees? Keep up the good work!

Hi Jesso:wave: and thank you.
The trees are homemade. I cut up a fake Xmas tree i bought cheap, made some dark green ground foam, sprayed the "tree" with some adhesive and rolled the tree in the ground foam:mrgreen:. Instant tree. They actually look a lot better in person then in the pic:mrgreen:.

Loren

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!

I think its because back in the day, the railroad was still up there and important, and as far as toys go, there were few things that were as impressive as a lionel train set. It was big, had all sorts of interesting things to go with it, and fun.

I actually saw a show on how lionel got where it was, and i can't remember where it all came from, but that is gist of it. Trains got cemented as part of christmas way back in the day, and now its just a natural thing.

Russ Bellinis

Mike,
At one time Lionel was a popular gift for a first train for children. Last year Target Stores were still offering a Lionel set at Christmas. I don't know about this year. I don't think train sets are nearly as popular wiith experienced model railroaders as with the general public looking to either get into the hobby or buying a Christmas gift for a youngster.

Regarding your question about scale cars and trucks, I would just offer that you not compare American prototype with what you would typically see in the Philippines. Our heavy trucks here in the states are huge compared with our cars. My Firebird is low (although not as low as a Ford GT), and when I go past a large truck, I am sitting with my head opposite the top of the truck's wheels!

sgtcarl

Little trucks..

My wife picked up some useful information at the last train show we attended. One of the model club members told her the best way to find out if a vehicle, (or anything else,) is the correct size is to carry a figure of a person from that scale with you to use as a measurement.

nkp174

I tend to believe that trainsets around christmas trees became popular due to the relative cost of a trainset. It would have been a major Christmas gift, and very likely would have been assembled around the tree rather than packaged up. The kid would come running into the living room on Christmas morning and see a brand new trainset around the tree. I remember when I was 4 and found an LGB diesel at the base of my tree. It would be a very memorable Christmas, and it would probably get set up again in subsequent years.

As a little kid, I always loved setting my LGB up around anything it could run around...the couch was second only to the christmas tree. I always would get excited about the Christmas tree, in part, because it would be set up for a month.

Trainsets are not for those of us who are experienced modelers (or most adults looking to get into the hobby), would probably be the worst way to get into the hobby. The powerpacks are of limited value, the cars are usually cheapie 1970s cars (with cheapie locomotives that don't really go with them), and the track is that infernal integrated roadbed stuff that costs a ton of green for expansion (but nice for people without layouts). Lionel made toy trains, not models. That is exactly what trainsets target. Most Lionel people I know are Lionel people for the same reason that some of my friends are into Legos, GI Joes, and other toys. (some of the newer Lionel stuff is definitely not toy train stuff). Little kids could care less about prototypical details (how about an NYC 2-6-4 anyone?), but having a missle launcher car is pretty cool. That was Lionel. Further, they'd stand up a little better than the HO of the day (or today). Frankly, I don't think it compares well to large scale stuff today (LGB, Bachmann Big Haulers, and such). The prices are comparable, but the larger stuff will survive even better, is larger for hauling presents, and is the proper size for GI Joes/action figures...and my kid will not have Lionel. Still, Lionel has become a well run company, and certainly both their Harry Potter and Polar Express sets are quite popular.