My N Scale B.O.F.

kkazienko

Aug 8, 2007
Charlotte, North Carolina
Just wanted to throw this out there to see what everyone thought. The is my interpretation of the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel BOF in Mingo Junction, Ohio. While I realize that I have omited some of the finer details, I don't really want to "over do it". This is a mill I saw nearly every day growing up from the West Virginia side and I tried to pick up on the things that really stuck with me (ie. the "star" arrangement of vents at the top). I'll have some "post paint, pre weathering" pics soon.

I welcome your feedback, positive and negative!

It is going to be a the focal point of my layout that will showcase the W-P Mingo Mill from the Blast Furnace south to the Wabash bridge. I've already completed the BF, the 80 inch mill, motor room, and bridge crane. I'm in the process of hand painting and decaling some W & LE Engines. Trying to stick with NS and Conrail rolling stock.

Attachments

• BOF Model Front.jpg
    BOF Model Front.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
  • BOF Model Side.jpg
    BOF Model Side.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BOF Model Back.jpg
    BOF Model Back.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 8

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
That's really neat. I like it a lot. I wish I had a layout big enough where a building that big wouldn't dwarf everything else!

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Very impressive, well done kkazienko
I'm looking forward to see that structure painted and weathered.
With such a huge structure,will you have enough space to run trains on your layout ?

Jacques

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
that looks great man :thumb:,i had just got done looking at som PS HAER drawings too for inspiration for my own layout. and heres something you may or may not know if you go to the HAER and HABS site they have hundreds of high qaulity photos and drawings.i found it great for just about everything in a steel mill.all the way form the BF to the storage facility.--josh

kkazienko

Aug 8, 2007
Charlotte, North Carolina
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback.

Turkey - To be honest, I'm not sure about space. Right now we live in a small townhouse. As soon as this housing market picks up, we are upsizing (which means I finally to get to set-up my layout!). I think a nice bonus room is in order!

Bigsteel - Thanks for the heads up on the HAER and HABS sites. I have found that using Google Earth or Flash Earth are fantastic websites that give you free satellite imagery. I actually used those images to make scaled drawings of my B.O.F. and the 80 inch and motor room buildings.

If anyone wants to see what I'm trying to model, look at Flashearth.com and either search for Mingo Junction, Ohio, or use the following coordinates: Latitude: 40 degrees 18' 56.7" Longitude: 80 degrees 36' 19.8".