My Monogram / Revell Viper Mk 1

mcusanelli

Hey guys,
Here are a few pics of the Monogram / Revell re-release of the Viper Mk1. One of my all time favorite kits, this one was released with new clear parts for the engines and canopy, and a very nicely detailed cockpit, with pilot figure. The decal sheet was also really nice, with a set of markings for Galactica and Pegasus fighters, as well as pilot names. A new, nicer base and nameplate was also added. I was really happy to have gotten this after many years of missing the one I had as a kid, so I didn't really do anything fancy, just engraved the raised panel lines, and added a seat harness from masking tape after the pilot was installed. Painted with my usual Apple Barrel / Folkart acrylics, applied with a brush, and a make-up sponge for the larger areas. Again, I chose to mask and paint the stripes instead of the decals. I sprayed a coat of Micro-Scale flat to seal everything once finished, and coated the canopy with Future. The weathering was stippled and dry-brushed , and for the chipped, burned through areas, I scraped the paint down to bare plastic, and used a fine point brush to fill in the chips with silver paint. Hope you like it, it was a blast to build! IMG_5257.JPG IMG_5256.JPG IMG_5261.JPG IMG_5255.JPG IMG_5262.JPG IMG_5259.JPG

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent! :Bravo::Bravo::Bravo:

I see you have added some straps to keep the pilot in place... A few drops of glue would have sufficed. :D:D:D

There were no straps on the real one which seems a bit dangerous for the pilot. I guess the Viper engineers applied the same "Passive Laser Restraint System" used by K.I.T.T. to hold the driver in place. ;)

mcusanelli

Thanks again guys! Glad you're enjoying these pics. The seat harness was something to distract from the 'bench' seat that looked like a '72 Duster that my dad had back in the day!
I'm finishing up a Moebius Mk 2 Viper with the same paint scheme, just wanted one with the classic grey paint job, and since I had molded the old style pilot from the other Viper mk1, I used her too. I'll post it soon.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I gad the original model when it came out. I had so many friends flip out over it. I think it must have ended up in their hands, as I don't remember what happened to it. Great job, and surface detailing. The pilot looks awesome!! :)

mcusanelli

Thanks Zathros! The pilot was, I think, the nicest addition for the kit, something so many manufacturers leave out, sadly.