My maquete is small so i have a problem in not appearing windows or wall

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Ricardo Nortada
We join the challenge with one picture or more ?

Another wonderful picture Ricardo!!! :D :D :D

We are only allowed one entry for each monthly contest. If you can tell me which one you want to enter, I can delete the other one from the Photo Contests area. You may post more pictures here in the Photography, Scenery, Books, Video forum, but they will not be considered in this months contest.

Please ask if you have any question at all! ;)

jon

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Uhh - Ricardo,
I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but what does "marquete" mean?

(I'm almost literate in English, quite literate in several computer languages, but not at all in Portugese.)

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
Originally posted by billk

Uhh - Ricardo,
I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but what does "marquete" mean?

(I'm almost literate in English, quite literate in several computer languages, but not at all in Portugese.)

"Maquete" is the portuguese word for "layout". In Portugal we refer to "Maquete" or "Maqueta" as a complete layout of something (buildings, trains, etc.). We also use the word "Modelo" which stands for "Model" referring to a single pince of a layout or some isolated reproduction of something.

I hope I had cleared the portuguese doubt...

And YES, we have a major difficult language... in grammar as in speech...

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Ricardo,
Nice photo! It is refreshing to see european railroading being modeled, and displayed here.
Pete

Bill,
Maqette is a term I first heard in the "making of" several Sci Fi movies. In developing creatures, the first step is to sculp miniatures of the creature. These miniatures are called maquettes.

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
Although we are side by side, Spanish and Portuguese languages are far different...

In Portugal we give such importance to some linguistic matters that no one else around the world would care.

But we have great difficulties to learn new languages. :rolleyes: If you're portuguese-born to a portuguese family you're tempted to use only portuguese as main language. I guess the same passes with others. But in the technical language everything's different: we have many words in English and in French... and we don't bore translating them. In informatics we have one of those best examples... almost everything from CPU to desktop are English words we use... with no translation :eek:

But what matters is that in trains we all have such a specific language that everyone can understand the others...