My loco Roster

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
LongIslandTom said:
Cidchase,

Plenty of good photos of the Walthers Trainline F40PH here: http://www.trainweb.org/asamtrak911/model/amtk338.html

It's definitely a better-looking loco than the Spectrum.. The Spectrum F40 has a number of deficiencies:

- The fans are not like anything EMD has on their engines.
- The front truck is not in the right place (it's centered under the cab ladders on the prototype).
- The rear anticlimber is not contoured correctly.
- The front plow is too flat.
- The Spectrum Blomberg truck sideframes are rather crude compared to the other makes (Athearn, P2K, Walthers, Kato, etc.)
- The grab irons are flush-mounted.

To its credit, the newer Spectrum F40PH does have a nice-running mechanism, it's DCC ready, and it has the flashing strobe beacons.

The Walthers looks nicer, but the front truck is still not exactly in the right place. It's not DCC-ready so conversion will take a bit of effort.

I think the Kato F40PHs are the nicest looking ones.. Trucks are in the right place, details look right, Katos are great runners (goes without saying), and they are DCC ready. The Katos are worth the extra money IMHO.

Hope this helps!

I wonder if it would be worth it to make a Kato into an NJ transit unit.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

HO scale
Amtrak:
  • Bachmann E-60CP Phase 1
  • Bachmann Spectrum Acela Express Trainset
  • Athearn P42DC NEC Phase IV
  • Bachmann Metroliners (full train)
  • Atlas AEM7 Phase III #908
  • Atlas AEM7 Phase III #911
  • Atlas AEM7 Phase IV #921
  • Bachman HHP-8
Burlington Northern Santa Fe
  • Athearn Genisis SD75M
Chessie System
  • LifeLike B&O sublettered GP-38
Conrail
  • MRC F-7A
  • Athearn GP7
  • Athearn GP38-2 (Philadelphia Division)
  • Athearn SW1001 Dummy (Philadelphia Division)
  • Athearn SW1500
  • Bachmann Spectrum E-33
  • Atlas B40-8
CSX
  • Athearn RTR AC4400
Erie Lackawanna
  • Bachmann Spectrum SD-45
New York, Hartford & New Haven
  • AHM C-liner
New Jersey Transit
  • Atlas U34CH
  • Atlas ALP44
  • Bachmann Spectrum F40PH
  • IHC GG-1 NJ DOT ( its actually the same GG-1 as below, except with a NJ DOT shell)
Norfolk Southern
  • Kato SD80MAC
Pennsylvania railroad
  • IHC GG-1 spirit of '76
  • Bachmann Spectrum GE 44 tonner
  • Athearn Super powered F-7B
Santa Fe
  • Mehano SD40-2
  • Bachmann F-9A
Seaboard Coast lines
  • Tyco/Mantua C430 spirit of '76
SEPTA
  • Atlas AEM7
Union Pacific
  • Athearn C44-9 wings #2 (used for parts)
  • Proto 2k SD-7 ( awaiting repairs)
  • Lionel Challenger
O-27 scale *
Chesapeake & Ohio
  • Lionel 4-4-2
New York Central
  • Marx streamlined Vanderbilt 0-4-0
  • Marx 0-4-0
[/FONT]

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I wonder if it would be worth it to make a Kato into an NJ transit unit.

HECK YEA!

I bought a Spectrum F40PH in NJT paint two years ago and I was really disappointed at how it looked. I only have one Kato F40PH right now (Amtrak #400) and that's going to stay the way it is.. So I'm going to grab another Kato sometime next year and repaint it for NJT.

It should be pretty straightforward... Basically all you need to do is get rid of the Phase-III Amtrak stripes + letters and put on the NJT disco stripes + letters. Both the Amtrak and NJT paint has the same general layout for the black and silver areas so you don't need to do a complete repaint-- All the work that needs to be done are in the silver areas.

I figure some judicious localized paint stripping (thinking of using an air-abrasive gun to do this) and re-airbrushing just the silver area with Floquil Platinum Mist, then applying the NJT disco stripes and letters, and I should have a nice NJT unit ready to go. :thumb:

I am a bit nervous at the prospect of trying that though, because the Kato ain't cheap, and if I make a mistake and screw it up, it's a VERY expensive mistake. :eek:ops:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
a few months agoi think there was a kato repainted into NJ Transit ( or may it was a walthers) but it had see through grills and everything on it. at that point i didn't want to buy it because i already had the bachmann one, and i was just buying an SD80 and AEM7 which was already costly. didn't want go broke. i put it on my birthday (tommorow)/ christmas list, but i probably didn't get it because my parents are crazy, and while they try to get what people want, they insist on variety, and not just the same old things (models in general for example). i'm not willing to spend my money just yet either. i just got back from that trainshow, and i want to grow my money tree up again, lol.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yea same here. I need to wait until next year to get that new Kato precisely because my money tree is stripped bare just about now. :D

Heck, you are in a worse spot than me, because all I needed was just a token NJT train or two on my pike. You on the other hand have to have all the wild-and-wooley NJT stuff-- When can we expect to see something like an NJT GP40FH-2 or a PL42AC on your pike? I think nothing says NJT better than those wierd units. sign1

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
you know i kept on passing up IHP's GP40FH-2s. I really need to grab one of those. I'll have to check Ebay for them. I was looking at it back in the summer when the shell was on display at the National Train Show. that was really cool stuff there.

What i really want to do though, are those Arrow IIIs, but i wouldn't even know where to begin with those cars. those electric MU cars are so common place, i can't believe that manufacturers don't make them. only IHP makes them (Arrow Is and Silverliners and Metroliners [shell only])

Speaking of the PL42ACs, i wonder how you'd build that. We are going to need those new double decker coaches while we are at it!

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Heres a short roster shot of display engines
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

And my lil ol workspace
Picture003_918657.jpg

It seems to catch everything daily:D

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
The current roster:

G scale:
LGB 0-4-0
LGB 4 wheel yellow desiel

O gauge:
Lionel 2-4-2
Lionel 0-4-0

On3
Grandt Line 0-4-0
(2) Bachmann 2-6-0s, regauged
Bachmann 0-4-0, awaiting being regauged

HO
Life Like 0-4-0 (dockside)
Rivarossi 0-6-0
MDC 0-6-0t
Proto 0-8-0
MDC 2-truck shay
Rivarossi 2-4-0
Bachmann 4-2-0 (John Bull)
(2) Bachmann 4-4-0s
IHC 4-4-0 (old time)
MDC 4-4-2
IHC 2-6-0
Mantua 4-6-0 (Rogers)
IHC 4-6-2
Rivarossi 4-6-4 (J-3a)
Brass 4-6-4 (NKP L-1b)
(2) Mantua 2-6-6-2ts
Spectrum 2-8-0
Genesis 2-8-2
Kitbashed 4-8-2
Mantua 2-8-4
Rivarossi 2-8-4
Spectrum 4-8-4 (N&W J)
Bachmann 4-8-4 (GS-4)
Liliput 2-10-2 (German)
Athearn SW-1
(3) Athearn PA-1s
(2) Mantua F units
(2) Bachmann F units
Bachmann Plus F unit (B)
Bachmann GP 30
Life Like GP 35
Model Power GP 20
Life Like 2 axle desiel
(Haven't run desiels in years...I think there are more, but boxed up somewhere)

HOn3
MDC 2-8-0
Grandt Line 25ton GE

N scale
Bachmann 0-6-0
Bachmann 4-8-4
Bachman F unit
Life Like SD 35?

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Just got another shipment from him:
Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Theres a challenger, a big boy, blue goose, an SF and CNW 4-6-2's, an NYC&StL 2-8-4 in "American Railroad" scheme, an western and atlantic 4-4-2-0, a DRGW 4-2-6-0, about 15 Kibri and Vollmer kits.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
OK keeping in mind that I only got back into the hobby less than a year ago.....

Athearn

F7-3 being painted into road names for the grandkids
SW1500-4 2 UP's running, 2-BN one dummy

Atlas-2, one new DCC GP38 BN, one used high nosed GP40 BN

Proto, one GP7 BN, yet to go DCC.

Thats nine total!sign1

Rick

Coastie

Dec 2, 2006
Well At one time, I did have a small amount of HO Engines of 12 from Tyco, Athrean and Bachmann and 150 Cars. I'm down to just 16 cars now and a alot of track. I had to sell off to make child support one month in the mid 90's and never had a chance to rebuild. Now I live over seas and to expensive to have stuff shipped here. Darn living on disability is the pits.

But I will get back into it once I win my Battle with the VA.

As the cars I have a IHC set of Southern Passenger cars set of 6, and 2 cars each of custom box cars of the Armed forces. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and the Coast Guard.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I'm new to this so my roster is limited,but here's what I have so far...

1 BLI C&NW E7A
1 BLI DM&IR RSD-15
1 BLI AT&SF 2-10-2

All with DCC/Sound.I'm trying to sell/trade the AT&SF,I've decide to go strictly diesel and I plan on collecting all the different diesels the DM&IR have had on their roster.

Chris