My living room

Trbulnc

Feb 27, 2005
Here are a few pics. of my living room project I undertook. I ran HO scale track around the entire room and it is also functional. Took longer than I thought it would, but turned out nice in my mind.

Stephen

Attachments

• trains 003small.bmp
    36.1 KB · Views: 36
  • trains 004small.bmp
    62.1 KB · Views: 39

Trbulnc

Feb 27, 2005
Thanks! I was a little worried it would be a little too childish and tacky but it really doesn't to me, plus everyone who comes over thinks it is really cool, especially kids.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
If you are happy with it that is all that matters.

Question: seeing as I have no engineering background, how do you figure out the radius of making such fluid turns in scale? If I were to attempt this I would be ashamed to show my feeble attempts.

Trbulnc

Feb 27, 2005
I started out with the corners of the wall, cut 45 degrees on the edges of the boards and centered them in the corners. I then went back and measured the straight sections and cut to length also at opposite 45 degrees so they would mate. This allowed me to join the edges easily and then just put a nail through the corners to hold them. I placed small blocks with counter bored screws in the studs along the length of the walls so the boards could screw into them. The track corners I completed with flextrack so they would fit especially around the door took a little tweaking. I am by no means a pro either, just took my time and followed the old rule of measure twice, cut once.

Grant B

Nov 1, 2004
San Francisco
Stephen
Nice Job, I wanted to do the same but my wife did not like the idea.....now instead of going around a room; it takes up a whole room.
At what height do you have it? Did you already have a picture rail on the wall?
I was going to go through a few walls since I already at the walls down at the time and then use the top of a large entertainment cabinet as the yard
Grant

Trbulnc

Feb 27, 2005
Thanks for the compliment, you guys have reassured me it was not too childish. It is 8ft high which is above the doorways except for the hall entrance and I just used some bridges on the board to give it a little effect. I made the rail, it was just a bare wall when I started.

nscale55804

Oct 4, 2005
Living Room Train

I will be finishing my n-scale livingroom setup around nov 15th. I will post a few photos here for all those who want to run it around the top. Great way to run it, it is never childish.

cpr_boy

Jul 18, 2004
Edmonton, AB. CA
Great idea Trbulnc.... I'm curious about information about your layout. For example...

- How high is it and how wide are your sections?
- What material did you use for the sub-roadbed or base? I imagine it would have to be light, yet strong enough support the weight of the trains
- What is the distance between supports along the wall?

You've inspired me to try the same thing since I don't have much room in my apartment for a table-top HO layout, but this way I would get to enjoy it and it not being in the way.

And btw, I used to think the same thing about the hobby looking tacky and childish until some very supportive friends came by and saw my small n scale layout and thought it was the coolest thing ever!!!!

Thanks
Daryl

wrfdunit1

Sep 29, 2005
Thanks

Big Thanks to Trbulnc I was trying to figure out how to do this for our babies babies room and it worked out great. Hope the baby likes it when he gets here next year.
thumbsup.gif

Trbulnc

Feb 27, 2005
Now there is more than one, wrfdunit1 can chime in with his own ideas as his pics. are really cool also. Please post your work for others to see. The wiring wasn't too bad, I just ran several sets of small wires to each corner of the room and wired them in so there wasn't any huge drop in power...worked well, no big deal.

I used just your basic 1x3 from Home depot but spent quite a while picking them out to make sure they were good and straight. There isn't a roadbed, just nailed the flex track to the wood itself, no problems there either. It is about 7.5 ft. above, enough to clear the doorway into the kitchen. The corners I started with the mounts, coming out from the edges to the first stud on each corner, then you just cut your wood to match, cutting the edges into angles so they would meet up nice with the straight sections. I generally went every other stud down the walls to provide good support, but this is up to how you want to do it and how straight the wood is. If there was a small bow, I just added another support. It was just a play around thing to get cars that would work really well, but once I found the combination, I haven't had any problems. Due to having some sharp corners at my doorway entrance I can't run any huge length cars but that is the only area where I had to be careful.