My little christmas display

mummert

Jan 18, 2007
Pa
Here is a picture of my little christmas display I built. I still have a little touching up to do at spots but for the most part it is finished. I might add a few more trees and maybe a little cabin. As for the snow I used woodland scenics snow I must say I hope I never put snow on any of my layouts again. Its possible I wasnt doing it right but it was very difficult to get it to look like it had any depth. I found putting glue down and sprinkling it on didnt work so great. When I vaccumed up what didnt stick what was left looked transparent. I kinda went with the same method you would use to lay ballast with somewhat ok results. If someone knows a better way of laying this stuff please let me know.

113_1347.jpg

Here is a picture a little closer up

113_1348.jpg

Oh I forgot the mention I have the DC throttle hidden inside one of the gifts to hide it.

N

nachoman

is that snow I see out your window, too? HAVE FUN SHOVELING!!! LOL. :)

Seriously, I have sever been able to model snow in a way I liked. I have seen others do excellent, but it looks like a lot of work.

Kevin.

mummert

Jan 18, 2007
Pa
is that snow I see out your window, too? HAVE FUN SHOVELING!!! LOL. :)

Seriously, I have sever been able to model snow in a way I liked. I have seen others do excellent, but it looks like a lot of work.

Kevin.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice the snow outside. First snow of the season here. Now if I could make the snow on my layout look more like the stuff outside I would be happy.:cry: Oh well still looks like Christmas and overall I am happy how it turned out. I might also have to get a steam engine to replace the diesel I think that would complete the scene.

mummert

Jan 18, 2007
Pa
I did a little bit of touching up and think I can call this finished now. I added a few more trees a few more gifts and painted a rock face right outside the tunnel portals.

113_1352.jpg

113_1351.jpg

Only thing I may still do is add a cabin up among the trees. Only thing I can find in N scale cabins is anywhere from $20 to $30. A little hard to buy when they measue less then 2" by 2". Table Top Towns Main Page has some nice log cabins painted for about $17 I may go that route. Anyway Merry Christmas to everybody.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I'd highly recommend getting either an IHC 2-6-0 or a Spectrum 4-4-0 or 4-6-0. They'd be about right (a new Bachmann 2-8-4 for the Polar express wouldn't look good on those curves).

A spectrum 4-4-0 with MDC 34' cars would look wonderful.

btw, I have the same microwave and nearly the same stove