My little christmas display

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by mummert, Dec 5, 2007.

1. mummert

mummert Member

Here is a picture of my little christmas display I built. I still have a little touching up to do at spots but for the most part it is finished. I might add a few more trees and maybe a little cabin. As for the snow I used woodland scenics snow I must say I hope I never put snow on any of my layouts again. Its possible I wasnt doing it right but it was very difficult to get it to look like it had any depth. I found putting glue down and sprinkling it on didnt work so great. When I vaccumed up what didnt stick what was left looked transparent. I kinda went with the same method you would use to lay ballast with somewhat ok results. If someone knows a better way of laying this stuff please let me know.

Here is a picture a little closer up

Oh I forgot the mention I have the DC throttle hidden inside one of the gifts to hide it.
  2. nolink5750

nolink5750 Member

Way to go..............Christmas is just around the corner. So Merry Christmas to all.
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

is that snow I see out your window, too? HAVE FUN SHOVELING!!! LOL. :)

Seriously, I have sever been able to model snow in a way I liked. I have seen others do excellent, but it looks like a lot of work.

4. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Mummert I think it turned really nice looking.:thumb:
  5. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

You can't beat a train under a Christmas tree...And that's a great scene..!! Good job...:thumb:
  6. mummert

mummert Member

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice the snow outside. First snow of the season here. Now if I could make the snow on my layout look more like the stuff outside I would be happy.:cry: Oh well still looks like Christmas and overall I am happy how it turned out. I might also have to get a steam engine to replace the diesel I think that would complete the scene.
  7. mummert

mummert Member

I did a little bit of touching up and think I can call this finished now. I added a few more trees a few more gifts and painted a rock face right outside the tunnel portals.

Only thing I may still do is add a cabin up among the trees. Only thing I can find in N scale cabins is anywhere from $20 to $30. A little hard to buy when they measue less then 2" by 2". Table Top Towns Main Page has some nice log cabins painted for about $17 I may go that route. Anyway Merry Christmas to everybody.
  8. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That is pretty cool! Nice job!

(Too bad Norfolk Southern doesn't make Christmas wrapping paper.)
  9. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I'd highly recommend getting either an IHC 2-6-0 or a Spectrum 4-4-0 or 4-6-0. They'd be about right (a new Bachmann 2-8-4 for the Polar express wouldn't look good on those curves).

A spectrum 4-4-0 with MDC 34' cars would look wonderful.

btw, I have the same microwave and nearly the same stove