My Learnin' Stuka

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cjwalas, Jan 29, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I recently got back into paper modeling and decided to go whole hog on my favorite plane, the JU-87 Stuka, and I've purchased a number of kits, both old and new. I've done a number of smaller, simpler models and now I'm trying to work my way up in both scale and skill. But I decided rather than ruin a nice old model, I'd practice first. So I did a low res scan of the GPM #8 JU-87 B for a "test run" to see if I could pull it off. My skills aren't what they were twenty years ago or what I hope they will be in the future!:oops:
    Much has changed since I used to do this sort of modeling! I changed the color a bit and did some pen coloring to a few parts to liven them up a little. I also blackened the panel lines and the German crosses as the black printed out too faint.
    View attachment 6689
    I managed to get the basic fuselage together without screwing it up too much and it came out pretty straight! Amazing! :grin: This much be a well designed kit! I had a few problems, but I suspect they were mine and not the kit's.
    View attachment 6690
    The tail assembly went together more easily than the fuselage. I still don't have a handle on getting great seams, but that's why I'm doing this test in the first place...practice, practice, practice!:wink:
    View attachment 6691
    So this is as far as I've gotten this weekend. I hope I understand the process well enough! I think I got the wing frames correct. The last plane I tried, I glued the wing frame on upside down!:oops: :oops: :oops:
    Still, I'm very excited about paper modeling again and learning all the wonderful tricks and techniques you guys here are sharing. I figure if I just pay attention to what you do, I can't mess it up too bad!

Attached Files:

2. Darwin

Darwin Member

Chris, it must be like riding a bicycle...just hop back on and go, man, go. Looking good so far.
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks good, welcome back!
  4. sakrison

sakrison Member

Nice build, Chris. Welcome back to paper modeling.

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This looks really nice! Good to have another modeler aboard - welcome!

6. He Chris,nice Stuka there, are you that fast in learning , or only underestimating yourself?
    Cheers, Billy
  7. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Thanks guys, for the welcome back! The photos hide most of the glue spots and gaping seams and I dare not get any closer photos! While I did a lot of models before, they were largely architectural. I've been modeling in all sorts of materials, but getting back to the feel of paper has been interesting.:razz:
    I've been lurking on the site for a few months now and boy have I learned a bunch. It's really an amazing learning experience to see you experienced and skilled modelers work your magic in the building threads. I never would have even attempted this model two months ago.
    (Now watch me REALLY screw this one up!:grin: )
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Your model looks great to me!
    The biggest thing is that I can tell your having fun with it and that's great! Kind of contagious too!:grin:

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Great job so far! No worries about messing up - my pfalz is a prime example but luckily there is always advice about how to fix it! I would like to see some of your architecture models. We dont really have any build threads for those....
  10. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I'd like to see them as well. Unfortunately, they were all lost to a fire years ago. Probably what pushed me away from paper models for so long.:(
  11. jasco

jasco Member

The Stuka looks great! When I built my first card model about 10 years ago, I had no idea it was even considered a "hobby" until I found this website a year or so ago. Keep up the good work and keep us all posted on your progress.
  12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I can see how that would put you off

13. Don't worry, if it ends up looking like this, just tell everybody, you're building Kampfliegers Junkers Ju-187...
    Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

14. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

:-o :shock: Billy! I've been looking for that kit!! Where is it available?????
  15. Texman

Texman Guest

You can get it from Joseph over at, as a downloadable kit. 4.50 Euro/5.89 USD

16. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Thanks Ray. I just sent payment. Looking forward to this one!
  17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I'm also looking forward to check what you have for us, Chris. For now, the Stuka is looking good.
  18. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, it was basic wings and wheels today;
    View attachment 6742
    The wings went on surprisingly easily.The parts fit very well. I haven't done all the wing parts because I wanted to get the wheels on. I don't have a very delicate hand and I was afraid of crunching the details!
    View attachment 6743
    The wheel spats looked harder than they were. I worked through them a little more quickly than I should have. I had a terrible fit of impatience!:cry:
    View attachment 6744
    You can see where I neglected to match up all the points!:oops: I have a bad habit of gluing the parts and setting them down before they really hold. Need to get past that habit!
    I also attached the swastikas on the rudder that I got from the parts bin here. Wonderful.
    But it's starting to look like a Stuka to me, and to be honest, it looks more like one than I thought it would! I'm really having fun!

Attached Files:

19. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looks great, despite your bad habits! You need to take a page from our Reserves Librarian - strategic photography!! :grin:

20. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, I for one hope to do plenty of Stukas. Interesting plane with interesting considerations as a paper model; inverted gull wings, wheel spats, greenhouse canopy, and lots of stuff on the underside of the wings. Speaking of which, the wing undersides was job one for today;
    View attachment 6787
    I'm seeing the limits of my skill showing these days!:oops: I don't think I'll ever get those bomb vanes straight! The main bomb carriage/release was a worry for me. I haven't gotten a handle on rolling really thin rods and tubes yet, but somehow they came out okay.
    I also did the tail wheel. Is there any good way to reinforce this structure? I added a coat of CA glue to strenghten it, but I was wondering if there were any other technique for this?
    Not too much left to do, actually! The props and canopy mostly. I've only ever done one other clear canopy, which wasn't too impressive. Has anyone done a tutorial on this?

Attached Files: