My layout

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by hemiadda2d, Jun 16, 2003.

1. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

With the great help of Gavin Miller's Academy thread, my backdrop looks pretty nice, but not quite to Gavin's caliber...
    Here's the latest, fresh outta the train room:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here's a few shots of my space, my track plan, and a shot of the backdrop.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

3. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Looks right fine to me!!
    :D :D

just needs a touch'a dullcote to take away that gloss...
  4. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

Yeah, I realize that. I need to get a can of flat clear to spray on, or use a roller, and a can of flat clear varnish.
  5. Strthoky

Strthoky Member

Man that looks great... I dunno what I would do with myself if I had space for a layout like that... I know I would be completely broke :) turning in pop bottles to buy the next piece of track LOL
  6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Looking good to me too! Welcome to the Gauge! :)
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

Looking good there! Nice looking layout!
  8. Blake

Blake Member

Love it, looks great. Try using Grumbacher's Damar Retough Varnish. It comes in a spray can and can be found at an art supply or craft store. Go to where the oil paints are.
  9. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

An idea struck me. Ouch!;)
    If you put a river (or other body of water) and left it glossy...
    With a spot set to it it could look like sun/moon reflecting off the
    water; but it would move with the viewer, like real light on the
    water. It was a thought.... :rolleyes:

Bet you got better ideas anyways...
  10. rsn48

rsn48 Member

I used Krylon Low Odour Clear Matte finish 47120 and it worked well. The can has gone amazingly far. I sprayed about 65 feet of backdrop with varying heights, but up to 4 feet high, and I still have some Matte Finish left.
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Great layout. Looking at the thickness of the foam, I'm left to ponder in a puddle of my own drool the hills and toolies you'll get to carve in that.
  12. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

I should get a can of that, but it's tight till payday, so it'll have to wait.

As for the 4" of foam, that's the plan! I am modeling BN's Funnel line from Athol, ID to Spokane, WA. The Athol/Granite Lake area will have a huge cut and an equally huge fill, as on the prototype!
    Northern Pacific built the fill/cut as a 1964 line change to eliminate a bridge, sharp curvature, and heavy grades.
  13. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Aye yes, the spacious skies and purple mountain's majesty that you can model in N scale.