My Layout

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
........................................................................................

I would be sorely tempted to put a pseudo-hill/tunnel on one corner (there was an issue of CTT that had a layout with one that was made of plywood, with a flat top so you could put buildings or track on it, and the sides were done with pieces of wood cut and sanded and painted to look like rocks--the result looked like something Buddy L might have made, which would look good with Marx of course). Then I'd add a twist: I'd insulate the track inside the tunnel, and have it activated by an approaching train. That gives you two things: Two-train operation on your outer loop, BUT it also gives the illusion that your trains go somewhere, because they go into the tunnel and they disappear there for a while. Louis Hertz used to do a similar trick with a pair of switches and a passing siding in his tunnels, but with this method you don't have to remember which block is occupied, and with this method you don't have to be at the controls all the time either.

Overall, nice layout. Mine's in pieces right now so I can't share. When I finish rebuilding it, it'll be an 8x8 with an O42 outer loop and some Marx O34 inside. I'll slip a circle or two of O27 somewhere also. I *want* to work in a circle of American Flyer S gauge too, since S and O27 are the same scale (despite the difference in track), but I'm having trouble finding somewhere to shoehorn it in.

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
the whole activated by an approaching train is beyond my understanding, lol, but its an awsome idea

i built that raised platform with the intention of eventually making it into a mountain without restricting too much space up, i'm going to move it into the corner later and research mountain building

we also have another large section of platform running new lionel trains, which was considering combining with, but i'm not sure about that one yet

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Great layout, reminds me of those great Lionel store layouts :thumb: :thumb:

Maybe you could take that upper loop and make it an elevated loop like my Christmas layout. That gives me yet another train under the tree and leaves it open below for more scenery.

Attachments

• christmas.JPG
    christmas.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 106

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
i love your elevated loop, how did you manage to get that wood soo perfect up there?

when i made my elevated platform, i was thinking about doing something similar to an elevated loop, but i ended up just keeping it a solid platform and building a construction scene below it

ohh ya, i almost forgot i added lighting under the elevated platform since this picture was taken, as well as a bigger construction scene under it

CavlrZ said:
the whole activated by an approaching train is beyond my understanding, lol, but its an awsome idea

CavlrZ, I can't do a real good job of explaining it right now, but if you can get your hands on a copy of the December 2004 Classic Toy Trains, there's an article that describes a couple of different methods. The first and simplest method is sufficient for these purposes.

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
i did imagine up one method that could work, if you have two track circles, you can have a see-saw piece of some sort that switchs power between both tracks as weight is applied

my trains are foward/reverse, with no make it only one way, once power is off, it will automatically go in reverse the next time it powers up, which totally over complicates the idea of doing that.... plus my trains are rather old and the foward reverse mechanism doesn't switch every time you stop... my new commodore vanderbuilt has a tendancy to stay in reverse too

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
CavlrZ said:
i love your elevated loop, how did you manage to get that wood soo perfect up there?
when i made my elevated platform, i was thinking about doing something similar to an elevated loop, but i ended up just keeping it a solid platform and building a construction scene below it
ohh ya, i almost forgot i added lighting under the elevated platform since this picture was taken, as well as a bigger construction scene under it

Thanks, I wanted a look reminiscent of those old Dept. store layouts with their multi-train setups. The plywood was scrap so I layed out the cork and track (12" radius, even my Athearn GP9 makes it around :thumb: ), then secured it with glue and tacks. I then cut it out with a saber saw, using the cork edge as a guide. Finally, I used pieces of old closet rod cut to uniform height and hot glued top and bottom. I am trying to figure out some kind of lighting for under the el myself, no doubt using those low volt LED strings from Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby. Maybe your construction crew could be posed working on the el ( a great reason to cop some of those cool 1/50 scale cranes coming out ;) )

Attachments

• christmasb.JPG
    christmasb.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 90

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
shaygetz said:
Thanks, I wanted a look reminiscent of those old Dept. store layouts with their multi-train setups. The plywood was scrap so I layed out the cork and track (12" radius, even my Athearn GP9 makes it around :thumb: ), then secured it with glue and tacks. I then cut it out with a saber saw, using the cork edge as a guide. Finally, I used pieces of old closet rod cut to uniform height and hot glued top and bottom. I am trying to figure out some kind of lighting for under the el myself, no doubt using those low volt LED strings from Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby. Maybe your construction crew could be posed working on the el ( a great reason to cop some of those cool 1/50 scale cranes coming out ;) )

awsome, i want to try an elevated one like that some time

for my lighting, i stole a light from a plastic santa and stapled the cord to the bottom of the platform, and ran the down and around the one rear pillar, with the train power wire thingy and the water house light wire

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
irt%20color.jpg

speaking of elevated tracks, i soo want this one.... and i want that train!!