My Layout so far, Any Suggestions?

gregbva123

Mar 14, 2003
VA
Visit site
Hello,

This is my Layout and I started building the mountains and added some rocks and added pigaments to the rocks to add color and sealed it with Scenic Spray/Glue. Also adding portals on both entrance to tunnels and grass/bushes.

What else should I add or do to make it look real?

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

• dsc00217.jpg
    dsc00217.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 258

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Looking good! Do you have a way to get under the mountain in the back to clean the track and/or repair?

You might also mask off the tracks to avoid getting plaster on them, then you can work easier and not have to be so careful.

Keep the pictures coming, I am sure you'll get lots of good tips here!

DOG

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Looks like a really good start! I agree that if you don't have access tot eh track, you should accomodate that access now, before scenicing it. You might be able to make a cutout/removable section in front, or cut a hole from under the mountain so it comes in beside the track. Or maybe you already have and we can't see it :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Greg, it looks okay so far, but please make sure you can get to your tracks at a later date.
shamus

gregbva123

Mar 14, 2003
VA
Visit site
Hello,

Yes, I can access the track from behind the mountain inside it, just in case a trains comes off the track.

I should have used a lighter brown for the dirt, it looks so dark?
Anything I should do to change it?

Thanks,
Greg

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
You can change most any scenery. The brown base if fine, it is only your starting point for the surface of the layout - you have a long way to go (and that's good). Several layers of grass, colored foam, etc. will cover most of that brown anyway. Sure, some will peek through here and there, but it's your layout and if you like it, that's all that matters.

For example, I use flat Navajo White with a tint of umber mixed in with my Hydrocal. If I decide I don't like it, I can simply brush a new latex flat over it - no bid deal.

From what I have read, your lighting conditions can be used to influence your base color. I have low lighting, so I used a very light base color.

If I may, you can learn a bunch by using Dave Frary's methods. He goes by "Blue Ribbon Models" and not only can you buy his book, you can buy lots of molds and "how to" videos. Worth every penny! My son (DOG Jr.) and I watched it the second time last night (50 minutes) to learn about rock castings and how to apply them with Gypsilite. Each step we progress, we "check in" with his methods.

We are having a great time!

DOG

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
The scenery I've done the best job on so far was done pretty much using Frary's methods from his Kalmbach book on scenery. Every modeler has their favorite methods, but I do best with washes of color over washes of color (using both thinned latex and washes of tube acrylics) and texture over texture. I used to use only one brand of ground foam products, but now have several on hand. That's a matter of getting some natural variation into things. I also accent up-close areas with flocking (electrostatic grass). Noch (brand name) has given me the best results here.

But I sure have a lot of plywood and air yet to cover! I am expanding my layout and am always learning more about scenery methods. So, please keep your photos coming.
--Stu--