JBBVry

May 14, 2004
Thomasville NC
groups.yahoo.com
The Rules for The JBBVry.

rules for engines: if it works run it.
Rules for cars: same
rules for track: keep it simple dummy
rules for anyone touching: try not to brake it.
last rule: Have fun it is a toy.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Here ya go, 13M.

I've indicated which is the up/down line by the arrows. the tracks at each end loop around at each end forming a "dog bone" type layout.

The whole things is 6 metres long. (bout 20 feet).

I'll put it in "track plans" too. :)

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 227

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Well, I pretty thoroughly and consistently violate ALL these rules -- except #8. I hate being incomplete, though, so I'll get to work on that... Now where can I fit in a double-slip switch?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
SAL Comet said:
Nice track work Woodie, is that a foam road bed your yard is on?

It's not "foam" in the sense that I think you guys in the US call "foam" (which we call polystyrene). You know, the stuff eskies are made of (for keeping the beer cold in ice), or the "foam" pieces that your new TV, or stereo is packed in. We call that "polystyrene". I think you guys use "polystyerene" sheets as road bed, that you use for wall insulation etc. It's banned here as a building material due to it's flamability and noxious gas when it burns.

My roadbed is "foam" type stuff used for protective wrapping of small fragile articles that you might send in the post. Not "bubblewrap" but used for the same sort of purpose. Bout 1/8 inch think, and comes on a roll from office supplies shops. I use a double layer. Excellent as a sound deadener, even when ballasted.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Woodie I just read thru this entire thread for the first time and really like what you've done in the yard, since you hand laid all your track I guess stock pieces would not be available to create the same effect?? I also never heard of the high speed switches #20 I believe someone said Who makes this or is this a joke to suck in the inexperienced?? Could you or someone else fill me in on how a track is designed to go one way only and in a dead end yard how would you lay track to put your loco at the other end? I like to build models but don't really know anything about trains and would like to learn more. Thanks Pat

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
belg said:
Woodie I just read thru this entire thread for the first time and really like what you've done in the yard, since you hand laid all your track I guess stock pieces would not be available to create the same effect?? I also never heard of the high speed switches #20 I believe someone said Who makes this or is this a joke to suck in the inexperienced?? Could you or someone else fill me in on how a track is designed to go one way only and in a dead end yard how would you lay track to put your loco at the other end? I like to build models but don't really know anything about trains and would like to learn more. Thanks Pat

Belg,

Sorry to dissappoint, but it's not handlaid track. It's all Peco flextrack and Peco large radius turnouts. And the #20 turnout was a leg pull!! hehehehe

My "dead end" yard (passenger platform) is for passenger trains that have a driving cab at both ends. No need to turn the loco up to the other end. Howver, if you look at my trackplan, and the train arrives on the "up" line (according to the arrow) into the dead-end platform, you switch the turnouts, and depart onto the other track ("down" line) according to the arrow on the plan.

On really high speed trains, the turnouts can be more than 100 yards long. To represent this in a smal scale, (HO) would mak just one turnout about 4 feet long!!! and they would be too big to fit on your layout. :):)

The "number" of a turnout (#20 say) mean the amount of deviation (curve) from the straight portion of track. So a #20 turnout would be curved away from the straight track 1 inch in 20 inches of straight track, or 1 yard on 100 yards etc. A number 6 (#6) turnout would deviate 1 inch every 6 inches. So I hope you can see that a #20 would be VERY long. :)

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Woodie I am always looking to learn and sometimes believe things that I hear as fact when I should take them with a grain of salt. I like a good joke and it looks as if it was on me this time. I understand the concept of the turnouts just fine thanks for the info. Now don't you vary from those rules of yours. :D Pat :thumb: