My layout progress

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Denyons said:
My space inside the layout is limited but possibly OK for 3 persons to run trains.
Chief.
There seems to be quite busy sessions for three persons :D
What an awesome picture!
A turntable is so right and something that I always have longed for :cry:

Happy again and glad for the picture :)

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
Looking good there,I am just north west of you.May have bumped into you at the LHS,tryin to buy the same things :) ,Look forward to seeing more pics as you get more done.Check out my thread and maybe we can exchange ideas.

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Sherwood Park,Alberta, Canada
Cannonball said:
What did you use to make your roads?

I picked the brains of a friend who had managed to extract the general road background from a game that he plays on the internet.
I have the background saved on my computer and I printed it onto several sheets of AVERY Label paper. You do need to have a smooth surface to put the roads down or you will have a very bumby road.
I glued down some arborite cuttings that I obtained from our local lumber store. I glued the arborite down with contact cement.
For the yellow and white lines I brought up the road backgrond in my PAINT Program and drew lots of straight lines in the 2 colours.
The benifit of putting the lines right onto the road background is that you don't have to worry about cutting the lines right up to the yellow as it will just blend into the main road that you have put down.
I hope this makes sense as I am not that great at explaining.
If anyone would like the background drop me an email and I will sens it to you.

Attachments

• Making Roads 2.jpg
    Making Roads 2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 293

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
cpNscale said:
Looking good there,I am just north west of you.May have bumped into you at the LHS,tryin to buy the same things :) ,Look forward to seeing more pics as you get more done.Check out my thread and maybe we can exchange ideas.

You must have been into my club (the ESMRE) at Londonderry Mall?
Give me a call and drop over anytime.

Reply to Nazgul..........
I don't have a Track Plan on paper but maybe I could draw something up.

Attachments

• Dockside Walls project.2.jpg
    Dockside Walls project.2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Dockside Walls project.3.jpg
    Dockside Walls project.3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 279

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Denyons said:
Thanks for the comments Berraf.
I am trying to make my layout so that I can have a few friends over to operate on it with me. My space inside the layout is limited but possibly OK for 3 persons to run trains.
I am still unsure whether to purchase the Digitrax Zephir or the more expesive Chief.

Hi Denyons

Why not just get the Zephyr? It has what you call "Jump Ports" where you can put two analogue smooth control (No Pulse Control) controllers to act like a digital contoller- just assign an address to them. They just can't control lights, sound etc... :thumb:

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
MadHatter said:
Hi Denyons

Why not just get the Zephyr? It has what you call "Jump Ports" where you can put two analogue smooth control (No Pulse Control) controllers to act like a digital contoller- just assign an address to them. They just can't control lights, sound etc... :thumb:

I am sure the Zephyr would be OK but my concern is the wattage.
I am told you can run 4 or 5 double headed trains which would probably be fine but if another person was wanting to do some switching it would not be enough.

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
My scenery is still needing some greenery and especially lots of trees.
I think that I will wait for warmer weather so I can make the trees on my patio table outside and avoid the fumes from the spray glue.
My next job is to finish off a small lake which is at the left of the roundhouse.

Attachments

• Via Rail arrives at the station.JPG
    Via Rail arrives at the station.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Via emerges from the tunnel.JPG
    Via emerges from the tunnel.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 249

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Denyons said:
I am sure the Zephyr would be OK but my concern is the wattage.
I am told you can run 4 or 5 double headed trains which would probably be fine but if another person was wanting to do some switching it would not be enough.

Am I missing something? Do you actually have the operators and track to run 5 double-headed through trains and a switching local at the same time? I find myself able to run one switcher and one unattended train using a single controller at the same time - maximum.

If you do have the capability, track, and operators to run 6 trains simultaneously, then it's time to move up to the big leagues, and never mind my rambling. Get a Super Chief or equivalent and a throttle per operator - preferably radio so operators aren't getting tangled up with each other.

just my thoughts

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
wow really nice layout look foward to seeing more,but you might want to put the f units wheels back on the track it seems to have derailed :thumb: :D oh btw nice layout glad to see some canadian stuff :D:D:D :)

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
wow really nice layout look foward to seeing more,but you might want to put the f unit's wheels back on the track it seems to have derailed :thumb: :D oh btw nice layout glad to see some canadian stuff :D:D:D :)

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
joesho said:
wow really nice layout look foward to seeing more,but you might want to put the f units wheels back on the track it seems to have derailed :thumb: :D oh btw nice layout glad to see some canadian stuff :D:D:D :)
\

It looks like the front wheels are off but the engine is acually branching off left into the passenger station track.

Reply to PGANDW
Maybe I was a little optamistic about 5 double headed engines. It would be more comfortable with 4.
My layout is 19 feet X 12 feet and also has a pennisula down the centre.
I already own a DT400 throttle that I use at my club...Just need the booster.
I would be running the layout on my own mostly but I am sure some of my club (ESMRE) members will be wanting to drop over and bring their trains.

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Thanks for the comments....
I have another couple of pics. to post.
The first one is the 2 stall engine house at the east end of the town. It services the east end of the yard.
The 2nd one is the main line entrance to the docks over two bascule bridges.

Attachments

• Small Engine House.JPG
    Small Engine House.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Bascule Bridges.JPG
    Bascule Bridges.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 304

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
berraf said:
The two steam locomotives at the first picture just looks great :)
They seams to be old due to the weathering. Could you give us a closer picture of the locos? Please:wave:

Made a close up of those steamers you wanted and added another photo of my Big Boy and Challenger in the Roundhouse Yard.
In the 3rd photo I tried to get a shot of most of my layout. I have just added the floor of the docks and still intend to add more admin buildings.

Attachments

• 2 - 0-6-0s in engine house.JPG
    2 - 0-6-0s in engine house.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 0-6-0s  #2.JPG
    0-6-0s #2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 271
  • The whole layout.JPG
    The whole layout.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Docks and sidings.JPG
    Docks and sidings.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 329

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
This photo is of the pennisula section.
It goes into a loop and under another mountain (from where I took the photo) and swings back down the modules.
I have work to do on the loop section although the mountain is in place and just needs some trees and greenery.
Does anyone have an easy way of drawing up a track plan?
Someone asked for my track plan but it has 50 turnouts and I am not great at hand drawing.

Attachments

• Mountain Pass.JPG
    Mountain Pass.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 246

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Greetings Denyons from your southern neighbor in Montana. Question for you. What did you use for water? I've been experimenting with Woodland Scenics Realistic water but it takes forever to get to a cured state. In the meantime it collects dust and lint and slows down working in the area. Any suggestions?

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Jim Krause said:
Greetings Denyons from your southern neighbor in Montana. Question for you. What did you use for water? I've been experimenting with Woodland Scenics Realistic water but it takes forever to get to a cured state. In the meantime it collects dust and lint and slows down working in the area. Any suggestions?

Hi Jim, For the water in my docks and the fast flowing river, I used Matte Medium which is available at Drafting and Art stores. It is a syrupy consist and you spred it evenly over the surface. You have lots of time to make little waves in it as it takes overnight to set.
I used the handle end of a spoon to flip up little waves. Of course you need to paint the base colour before applying the Matte Medium. When it has fully set I used some white acrillic paint from the local dollar store to whiten the tips of the waves. For this I poured some paint onto a piece of board and pressed a firm piece of pink styrafoam onto the paint to transfer the paint to the tips of the waves..Dont press too hard or you will have too much paint on the water.
One other note....try to spread the Matte Medium to cover the suface but don't make it too deep or it will dry to a foggy white.
Dennis

Attachments

• Dockside Water project.5.JPG
    Dockside Water project.5.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 246

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Jim Krause said:

Hi Jim, For the water in my docks and the fast flowing river, I used Matte Medium which is available at Drafting and Art stores. It is a syrupy consist and you spred it evenly over the surface. You have lots of time to make little waves in it as it takes overnight to set.
I used the handle end of a spoon to flip up little waves. Of course you need to paint the base colour before applying the Matte Medium. When it has fully set I used some white acrillic paint from the local dollar store to whiten the tips of the waves. For this I poured some paint onto a piece of board and pressed a firm piece of pink styrafoam onto the paint to transfer the paint to the tips of the waves..Dont press too hard or you will have too much paint on the water.
One other note....try to spread the Matte Medium to cover the suface but don't make it too deep or it will dry to a foggy white.
Dennis