My Layout - No Questionaires!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Mastiffdog, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Well, I have asked too many questions, and since it's Thanksgiving I thought I'd share my progress on the layout. I started it in May 2003. I used code 83 and code 70 Shinohara and 7 #6 and 1 #4 turnout onto a siding. My rail is spiked into true-scale pine roadbed ontop of 1/2" ply subroadbed. I used all Tortoise motors in conjunction with DS44 Stationary Digitrax decoders so that I can throw or close all turnouts on my handheld unit (this is fun!). My train room is 12x12 and the layout is 8x8 and I am planning coming off with a 2 1/2 by 10' "L" for more industries and turnouts.

So, here's the photos!
  2. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 1

It's in a horse tack room. At least I don't have to feed it.

Attached Files:

3. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 2

Here's some more ...

Attached Files:

4. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 3

I welcome your constructive criticism.

Attached Files:

5. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 4

A tortoise ... well worth the extra work to install!

Attached Files:

6. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 5

I used "edge connectors" on my switch machines to make soldering and troubleshooting a breeze ...

Attached Files:

7. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 6

They disconnect so you can solder your leads on the bench rather than to the Tortoise itself. Much easier.

Attached Files:

8. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 7

Getting ready to weather rails now ...

Attached Files:

9. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 8

Track is solid and trains run great - using a Athearn Genesis USRA 2-8-2 for testing. Steam gives you the best feedback on track quality. I recommend making sure of this before moving on.

Attached Files:

10. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Layout Photo 9

For my rail power I am using the Digitrax Empire Builder. The last photo - thanks!

Attached Files:

11. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

This is one great layout mastiffdog. Would love to see progress photos as you go along.
  12. Great looking work there, Mastiffdog. I can tell you've put a lot of effort into making it right. That benchwork looks very well done.
  13. grlakeslogger

grlakeslogger Member

Lookin' good!!! Please keep the progress photos coming. It looks like you are quite a craftsman--a pleasure to see what you've posted so far.
  14. Mastiffdog

Mastiffdog Member

Wish I were ...

This is my first HO layout, so I really appreciate the kind words from all of you so far. Hardly a craftsman! The only other layout I have done was N scale on a 4x8 board using Atlas sectional and DC power. I lost interest because it was single dimensional and using all of the Atlas buttons and sliders was confusing. DCC is alot easier once you adopt and understand the basic concepts.

I really enjoy buidling the joist and riser benchwork. It fun to change elevations. I will use the cardboard strips and plaster towel method (Dave Frarry's Book) to start the scenary. Last night I was experimenting with weathering the track. I used "roof brown", "rail brown", flat gray, and flat black (very sparingly). I thought I would have to mask the tops of the rails, but I was able to wipe of the paint off the tops.

I am new to weathering the Shinohara turnouts, would any one be willing to step me through the process so I don't paint my turnouts to the point of non-function?

15. belg

belg Member

Hey Dog I think the benchwork and track look great. But I think the comment you made about not having to feed it was a little off, I'm thinking in the long run you'll pay more for all your RR stuff then you would to feed a horse. That's kind of like saying you'll never pay for sex once you get married. Master Card Visa American Express ring any bells?????
  16. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hiya my friend,
    I like the benchwork and trackwork very much, it sure looks as if it's going to be a busy railroad.
  17. Flangehead

Flangehead Member

Looks like fun!
    I'll be looking forward to more pics as the layout progresses. Great idea on the connectors, I wish I had done that. Too late now, but I will replace the connectors whenever I work on a machine. I'm surprised I've never burned myself with falling solder when working under the layout. I call working under the benchwork " Making A Run To Stiphnech City".
  18. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

That's an impressive looking layout Dog.