My Layout Idea

DaytonTrainDude

Dec 5, 2003
Dayton, OH
Visit site
I don't know how to draw up track plans on the computer, basically I use excel (I'm a beancounter) and make rudimentary track plans.
Anyway, my idea for a layout is as follows.
First some background:
I'm not a very good modeler and really don't enjoy the modelling aspect of model railroading as much as the collection of trains. This might change in the future, but for now I could be characterized as a "model railroad railfan". I just love to watch the trains!
I mentioned in another thread that I have started collecting Bachman's On30 equipment. They run great and look really good as well. I also have a small collection of HO gauge stuff that I like to run as well.
My idea is to create a simple shelf around the walls layout, very similar to Jim Kelly's Wildcat Central that I found in "Basic Model Railroad Trackplans". I propose to use Code 100 HO track for the layout as I am not really concerned with realism. This way I can run both the On30 trains and the HO trains on the same layout. (I understand there can be a problem with turnouts when operating On30 on code 83.) I will make models of buildings and place them on removeable panels on the layout, to get experience in the modelling aspect of model railroading and to make the layout more interesting. This way I can enjoy both HO and On30 in a 10 X 12 area. I know this goes away from what many of you enjoy most about modelling, but for me its all about the trains, and I love both HO and On30! What do you all think?

Mike

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Sounds intriguing Mike. your idea of removable structures is interesting.

As far as track plan is concerned, have you tried the free one from Atlas? Right Track Software. www.atlasrr.com

If you are going all the way around the room, then I would suggest just a single mainline with various siding for the industries. Maybe a passing track near the station (if there is to be a town).

For the basic scenery, just make the trees O Scale and when you run the HO equipment, it just looks like you are running in a large forested area. Remember a 100' tree is almost 14" high.

Hope this is a start and maybe some of the REAL experts here will give their opinions (that way I get to learn too :D )

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Great idea :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It's really easy to put down woodland scenics stuff like grass, and a lot of the scenery, aside from buildin's and people (LPBs), can look good in either scale. You should be able to get some reasonable looking track if you lay it on cork roadbed and ballest it, which takes a process, but no real artistic ability. Doing that and grass (ground foam) alone will look 100% better than track on plywood painted green. Just be carefull, or you just might get hooked and then you'll be a modeler adn collector! :D

sammyd

Feb 14, 2004
WI
trains.script-host.com
The latest Model Railroad Planning mag had a great article describing what would work for you.
Kinda like modular but called dominoes.
You might want to check it out.
minamalist scenery and interchangeable sections.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Just one tip when planning your layout and any scenery you might make. The On30 equipment will probably have a lot more overhang in every direction than the ho models. You need to build the layout with clearances for the On30, and then the ho will run fine on it.

DaytonTrainDude

Dec 5, 2003
Dayton, OH
Visit site
I plan on doing basic landscaping, using 2" insulation and woodlands scenics ground foam. I also plan on ballasting the track and using that AMI roadbed stuff. I had also planned on making some BIG trees for it so it would look good in either scale. Basically my plan is to get something up fairly quickly so I can enjoy my trains, and slowly add some nice structures. I do love the really detailed models I've seen here (Shamus' layout is INCREDIBLE). I also know my limitations so I will slowly work up to something like that. My plan is to use 2" insulation for the base, then perhaps 1" insulation on top of that. That way I can simply cut out equal size bases in the 1" insulation for each scale building. Sorry if this isn't coming across clearly, but rest assurred I have it down pat in my mind.:) .

One question I had. What happened to your tutorials Shamus? I had seen your website for the HO a while back and you had these awesome tutorials on making trees, and ground cover.

Mike