My Lack of Modeling

Z

Zathros

I really appreciate all of the comments you guys have made. I had the Nerve Ablation procedure yesterday and hope it will enable more activities, like playing with my kid more! 3 weeks recovery and before whatever positive results will show.

This thread and the other one I started at papermodelers started because of a couple of people's "insensitivity" , but the fact is, judging by the comments, I am far from being alone and in fact, I am in good, really good company. Everyone has something to give, sometimes, just words of encouragement. On the other hand, we all have to be a little off to do this paper modeling to begin with.

My brother in law, an accountant, asked me how much did I think I could get for a Bi-Plane model I made, he was very impressed, I looked at him and said "that's" not really the point. Some people not into the hobby don't get it as much as those in it, and some people in the hobby as just jerks. It's the same everywhere. :)

Mark Crowel

User of old school drafting tools; no CAD.
Jul 28, 2007
Southwest Michigan.
[QUOTE}My brother in law, an accountant, asked me how much did I think I could get for a Bi-Plane model I made, he was very impressed, I looked at him and said "that's" not really the point. Some people not into the hobby don't get it as much as those in it, :)[/QUOTE]

I have built models on commission for others, and their compliments mean more to me than the money they pay me.

I hope the medical procedure you had works out well for you, and enriches your life. Best wishes to you.

paulhbell

Sep 23, 2009
I've not commented in this thread, but I have read through it. I hope things can get better for you Zathros.

I have found, over the years that a lot of members from card model forums tend to have some sort of disability, minor or serious. My own reason for finding this hobby was when I was off work for 3 years with Epilepsy, at first serious but now under control for the last 5 years, under medication at least till I retire. I was a keen plastic modeller before and still am, but 3 years off work, very little money coming through the door, lots of spare time all added up to finding cardmodels.net (old zealot forum). Never looked back since, and as a bonus made some good friends.

Get better Zathros.

allhallowseve

Jul 13, 2005
Hi Zathros

Just read this thread , The way i see it ! its really not their business how many model's you build , that what this hobby is. you find what you like and when your able to build it on your time .. there no law ! or race to see who get what done first ! Hell if that were the case i be in last place most the time .. Its a sad world today where people measure people's abilities to get some down now !! And you see it in every thing these day !

If you like what you do than that all that matter bottom line !!!

RickTNRebel

Oct 7, 2011
Nashville,TN USA
Hey Zathros,
As a newbie to this and some "other sites" that I see you at, I've come to look for your builds. You're a proxy teacher to me! I hope I never get to the point of expecting constant posting from you and then chastizing you because of my own selfishness...I imagine that would feel just like getting rubbed on with a piece of 60 grit sandpaper! Hang in there man!...Give me their names ("two jerks") and I'll go over there and see if I can't adjust thier attitudes for ya'!(@mods: lol! just kidding!)

Z

Zathros

This is something that I have noticed. A lot of people got into card modeling because of something of either physical, situational, that creates right set of circumstances then one thinks, "I could make this out of paper", and all of a sudden you are making card models.

Card models bring people together into this hobby, but I think the underlying situations might also, IMHO. :)

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Zathros, had *no* idea. Certainly hope things improve for you. Had to laugh at your *tire filling machine*! Hadn't thought of it that way before. I use one as well. They actually lowered the pressure on mine. At the moment my diabetes is wrecking my eyesight. Reading the screen with a magnifying glass, and let's say driving is an *adventure*. And I'm scared to even try starting a model. Both due to eyesight AND scared of failing. (No place to work or place it either.) Thanks for being here. It's much appreciated by all of us. Just an FYI, checked Uhu's site and nothing. Know you know 'bout it. Be Well, Eric

Z

Zathros

Well this is Zealot and we have a good thing going here. I sure hope something can do to help your eye sight. Mine is messed up from the constant migraines. Life is great, but a little hard sometimes. :)

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Thanks for the kind words Zathros. Seeing an ophthamologist tomorrow. As far as modeling goes, you, at least, *have* built things. And hopefully will again. I've got faith. Still looking for the el cheapo set of cutting instruments I bought. And the light card stock. Have a few things I want to staet on. BTW, saw Uhu's remark to two people on another forum. Oh Boy!! How do we get him back? He's a treasure in this world. I look at his models and wish I had the skills to build them, and now they're gone.

Z

Zathros

UHU is a man and a good one. We have not lost UHU. Quite the contrary and things looks good. We all have friends and some of us participate in multiple forums. Being the best of our abilities make us a asset to wherever we are. That is the way I try to live. I try to offer help in ways that I can and so do a lot, and I mean a lot of other people. Just a few, really just a few people have some issues and they will figure it out. I'm, getting a CraftRobo so I plan to cheat and let this thing do the cutting!

I could use a "wife-robo" but the technology has a way to go, though lately, it is looking promising!