My L H S come on in

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Today, Glenn and I went to our L H S , although he was closed:D . On phoning before hand he said come on up you old ^&%^&^*((**&&& and I will let you in:D :D :D ;)

(I am a sweet talker ;) )

So I thought it would be fun to share the visit:p

Come on in

Attachments

• me at mogans.jpg
    me at mogans.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 427

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
You lucky guy. The nearest LHS to me is about 50 miles away. It is a big store and well stocked with trains and supplies. The only problem, You have to go up to them and if you are able to but in and get their attention, they might help you. If they do, they will take you to the item you want and disappear. No waiting around to see if you need any help. Also all their items are sold at top retail. No discounts on any thing.:( :(

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi Dick, thats a darn shame.

Dave Morgan is a staight guy if the price goes up he keeps his old stock at original price, and lets you now what the increase is a going to be:)

I dont think they would like me in the store you have to use,
I dont like being used and abused when I am paying out good money.
Have you tried to find any basement operations???

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
There is one other train store in Sacramento and that is downtown where it is almost impossible to park. I have never been there so don't know what they are like. Maybe one day take a trip to Sacramento and park in a parking garage and walk a mile which is difficult for me.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I was very naughty today too. Had a dose of LHS therapy. Sussed out the local toy/hobby shop in Lismore (where I'm moving too), and never let me loose in one of those things. Espeically if I've go time to kill. (the car was being repaired). The things you find at the bottom of the back shelf in country shops. :):):)

I had to take all my anti-faint pills at once, I did. :)

I found a brand new, kit built NSWGR 45 Class in unopened packaging. All these were snapped up years ago!! (You can still get the kits, but not the completed kit version). And still at the original price too!!! And they had a 15% special discount storewide for today only too!!! :):)

I just whispered "yes please", a nonchalant swipe of the credit card, and woosh!! out the door before you could say "Do you know that these......." through a buttoned mouth. :):):eek:

What I bought (not mine, and not my layout)
image03.jpg

.... and the real one.
4522-1.jpg

These were locally built and 40 were made betyween 1962 & 1964, and althought not in their original livery (as above) all but 2 are still in service. (2 were written off as a result of a head on collision in 1982).

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi Dick let us know when you have been to Sacamento, We do hope you find a LHS you can call home:) .
It may be worth saving all your pennies and wants for that store O and taxi fare so ya dont have to walk a mile back with all ya loot:D :D :D :D :D :D

Hi Woodi sound`s like you had an excellant day thank the lord for the swipe card:D :D :D :D
You got to get what you see when ya see it, its that old feeling you know the one " I GOT GOT HAVE THAT KNOW NOW MATTER WHAT":eek: :D :D :D ;)

That was a great find and a beautiful unit WEll DONE:D

You are dead on about the therapy its the only place I can get my fix:rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
LHS

Well, I had to dig into this thread to find out just what LHS meant; but I soon learned. Guess I'd better throw in a plug for my LHS, Rock River Model Hobbies out in the country near Ovid, New York. It's basically a one man operation, with a little help from his wife. Unfortunately, or fortunately, according to your point of view, they carry lots of other "stuff" besides trains; but Carl Schmidt can get you just about anything you might want, if he doesn't have it in stock. This is my closest shop, probably about 25-30 miles from home. There are other, bigger shops a bit farther away, but I haven't checked them out yet. I really got started with Carl because he does great custom paint work. He's got a web site, and I was going to add the URL here, but I just tried it and couldn't access it. Don't know if it's temporarily down, or has changed; but I'll check it out and maybe post information here later.

P.S. I have no financial interest in this operation, other than as a paying customer; so this is not a "paid advertisement".

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Oh.... and found this on the web. It's the LHS that I went to today. The flood? just a drop. Happens a lot. 1971 and 1984 were the last big ones. Water was above the sign posts. However, the river ain't even running at the mo. Drought.

OldPOcorner_1.jpg

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Chris: stay in when the weather gets that way.... those pics make me cold just lookin'!

Clerk, sounds like your "L"HS wants you to use internet hobby shops. I don't know what the point of an LHS is if you can't get support.

Woodie: that's one sweet pea! Bet you were moist by the time you got home to run it!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by jon-monon
Woodie: that's one sweet pea! Bet you were moist by the time you got home to run it!

I ainb't run it yet!!:( ('cept for a test in the shop up and down their 2 metre test straight track.) And won't be able to for a while. I'm 850kms from home!!! And when I get back there on Sunday, the layout goes to the dump, and the removal truck turns up to move permanently up where I am at the mo!!

But I might give it a quick wizz round Garahbara before the formal funeral and burial. :(

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
I don't have any pictures of the 2 main shops near me (50 miles away), but here are brief descriptions:

One is called Battlefield Station. It's mostly trains with a good size model and RC car section. It's a fairly new store, I think within the last few years, and is run by several people. Not much in the way of N-scale though. They seem friendly enough here when it's time to pay, but have never went out of their way to offer assistance. They seem friendlier as the amount of $$$ you spend goes up.

The other shop is called Trainland. It's all trains and looks as though it's been there for 50 years. I've only been here for 7 years so i couldn't say for sure. It's run by 1 guy and his wife (as far as I can tell) and appears is THE place that all the local MR'ers "hang out". The few times I was there the owner went out of his way to find things, even in the back room. They have a pretty good stock of all scales. I would guess they are sweating it a bit though, as this store is located right around the corner from the big "glitzy" one mentioned above. The problem with this store is that it isn't opened on Sunday, which is about the only day I have free, so I have to go the glitzy store for supplies.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Thanks lads great imput:p

Woodi, Do you often take a canoe to your LHS`S:D :D :D :D :D

Hi Jon I`m Canadian now:D :D :D You dont worry after 22years of shoveling the white stuff ya get to like it:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
It`s O K I just slaped my self :rolleyes:

N-scaler-dude,

Get the small guy to make the order up tell him yall pick it up on the way to church.
Tell the glitzy "lets make a deal our you and ya wallet are going out the door":D :D :D :D :D
Hey Shamus where is your L H S:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And yes after the stories on the thread I am a lucky guy:)
Its nice to give the good shops a pat on the back