My kingdom for a printer

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Atomsk, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Well, the HP Color Laser Jet 4500 at work crapped out a few weeks ago. Once the brass gets it fixed, they're not going to let us peons use it any more.

I managed to print out a whole crock of kits before the laser jet died, but I have a bunch more to print. I tried it on my old Desk Jet, but it's not quite up to the task.

I'd like to know what printers people out there use, and what kind of printer should I buy, with card modeling in mind.

Has anyone tried printing kits on a dye sublimation printer?
    If so, how did it turn out?
    What make and model?

The reason I ask is, that's what a lot of cottage industry plastic model decal makers use. I imagine they produce some very high quality output.
  2. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Why not consider a color laser the Minolta 2300W sells for around $450 and considering the cost of ink and the cost of a high-end color inkjet it could be cheaper to shell out the $450.

I just purchased a HP 7960 (my Cannon died after 4 sets of ink tanks) and it is a excellent printer but I just ran off 18 pages of mixed color and text and my ink tanks show that I used about 25% of the Ink and this printer uses 7 colors in 3 tanks and a new set of ink tanks for this beast will set me back around $80!
  3. Renaud

Renaud Member

dyi-sublimation printer

I suppose it is what here we call here "imprimante à sublimation thermique". I should like to get information about it, too. These are expensive machines, more than 1000 USD, and print at high cost A4, that is 21 cm/29,7 cm size only. I have been told that each time you print a sheet, you need a new film, whatever can be the number of colours you need. I remember that it has the advantage of printing without dots, as if it were a painting or a photograph.
    On the other hand it has the disavantage of putting a plastic film onto paper, and thought it is waterproof or so, it may cause warping, as the film has not the same characteristics as paper, both shrinking or expanding differently, depending on the weather: one shrinks when the other expands. In a way, the sheet rolls itself, it is a way to turn 2D into 3D, that the very aim of card modelling!
  4. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Atmosk

All I use is an Epson Stylus 460 colour printer, three colour four if you include the balck ink. So far it has done all that I have asked of it with good results. Yamato was printed on it. The printer came with my system I bought years ago. It prints card, paper and photo paper no probs.

When I replace a bit of kit like this I take a copy of a print out that I want with me and a disk with the info on it. Ask the sales rep what machine have you got that will do this and how much. Once we have gone through all the rubbish they spout, I then say prove it and get them to print of what I want if they don't I don't buy. I don't let them show what they want as the print outs they do, have been set up to sell the machine not for a dumb sod like me.

The same type of printer over here in the UK cost's about $100.00 (£60.00) and the ink refils are about $35.00 (£22.00) for the lot.

hp stuff over here is not cheap though :cry:. I have one and don't use it for that reason.

Just my thought and what I do for replacements

5. jcangero

jcangero New Member

I was using a Canon BJC-6000 for a few years - separate ink tanks, with a double-sized black tank. It too was a photo printer, but you had to own two print cartridges - the everyday 4-color and a 6-color photo cartridge. The printer was a gem that even allowed me to print directly to artist's matboard (almost 2mm) because of its straight-thru manual paper path.

I have since purchased a Canon i9100 Photo Printer which allows me to create up to 13"x19" borderless prints. The only drawback for me with this new printer is that I can't print on artist's matboard anymore, since this one does not have a straigh-thru manual paper path. The good news is that I have no problem printing to "normal" ( up to 110#) cardstock. It too has separate ink tanks, but unlike the BJC-6000, you don't need a separate photo cartridge since the standard print head is 6-colors. The only other disadvantage for me is that the black ink tank is not double-sized like the BJC-6000. Not a problem for me since I now buy all my ink from
    I used to refill my own cartridges, but their prices are so low and quality so good, I don't bother anymore. I just buy multiple bulk packs when they're on sale.
  6. Jim, I popped for one of the 2300 series last winter. It does have several drawbacks asit is noisy as all get out and if you are going to do photo paper you have to get laser photo paper as inkjet photo paper will screw up the machine. That said the color registry is great and the printing is more durable than I though it be. For model work its still a good idea to use a matte, satin or gloss coat to seal the printing and on sharp bends the color can crack but it is managable. But one thing with lasers is you have to be very careful of the weight of the stock they will handle. the heaviest recomended for the 2300 series is 65# IIRC but as I like Wausau's 65# Bright White it works out perfect.
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

This seems to be a repeating theme on this site. My reason for upgrading was for better resolution and color. After looking around the internet and discussions on this site the following criteria resulted in a preference list fron which a selection was made:

1.) Separate inkjet printheads and ink tanks.
    2.) No electronics in the ink tanks preventing refilling from non OEM sources.
    3.) Refillable ink tanks.
    4.) Low ink consumption.
    5.) Nearly straight through paper path with ability to handle thicker card stock material.
    6.) Good print resolution.
    7.) Non-clogging printheads.
    8.) Parallel and USB interface ports.
    9.) Windows98 support.
    10.) Small foot print.

I settled on the Canon i560 model and have been very happy with it. The one I purchased was found warehouse discount store for $79 U.S.

Best regards, Gil
  8. Dziuggy

Dziuggy New Member

well my first post here. just started card modeling after 10+ years of pause.

anyways. printers - laser is nice since it is somwhat water proof. but consumer lasers will never match inkjets colorwise.

so inkjet is the way to go unless you have too much money to spare on $1000+ laser

my choice is and always gonna be Canon as no one can match their quality/speed and ink.

i have tried a lot of diferent printer and they all have flaws.

HP ok colors but slow with buggy software and drivers, cartriges with print head on it very high cost ink. also most HPs have one cartriges for all colors.

Epson has great quality but are notorious for print head clogging (6month to a year)

canon is the best in all categories i personaly use i960 6 color photo printer, and do refils my self (from ink companies that formulate ink to be siimilar to real manufacturers) so one refil for a cartirge costs ~$.60 and also printer is very fast (borderless letter size photo on a best resolution less than 2min - try geting that on hp)
  9. Jimi

Jimi Member

I havent experienced clogging with my epson ( maybe because the printer is used all year round)but, i have experienced a condition where the color that came out from printing was of a different colour. after probably two prints, it's back to normal. it happened twice. HP vs epson, I still prefer epson. The quality of prints is much better.

Oh yeah, anyone here uses a lexmark? there's an offer here that if i swap my old printer (my broken down HP) and add about 2,000 php (about $37.00) i could get their printer. anyone here know it's pro's and cons? the only con that i've heard so far is that it's cartridges (colour and black) are as large as caskets and therefore, expensive. :(
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Jimi, I had a lexmark @3-4 years ago. The cons ;the ink was expensive, the colors were very wrong when they came out. For example the gull grey us navy color came out looking much like underside blue from the luftwaffe. It was slow, loud and costly.. The pros none to speak of, you can refill the ink cartridges from Oem sources, but the cartridges are fragile. If you don't refill before they run out it messes up something. The electronics are on the older cartridges. For the money I use an epson c84 with thier durabrite inks. This is a great printer, the only down to the epsin is the printing head issue. If you don't constantly use it you have to "purge" the heads, which they call cleaning, and this uses alot of ink doing it. I love the colors and the durabrite ink stuff. It doesn't run if a fleck of water gets on it. I don't know about canon's ink if it is durable, but if it is I'd consider thier printers too. Oh the epson C84 ink is not too expensive, and lasts a long time as long as you don't have to clean it. Good luck,ted
  11. DN

DN Member

I use Epson for 10 years now (Stylus Color 400 at first, now Stylus Color 900). Print heads clogging is a problem, but otherwise the printers work OK. The one I use now is kind of fast - quite important for somebody impatient. And now I know why Rob's Yamato looks so good - it's printer :twisted:
  12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Lexmarks are so cheap to buy, I don't know why people bother buying cartridges for them. Just buy a new printer when the old one runs out. Works out at least 50% cheaper.........

Seriously, I use an Epson C82 and it has been fine. Handles card up to at least 250gm/m2 and has a fairly straight path. My previous Epson 740 was better in this espect, but I have been happy with both. I also have an OKI DP5000 with is a wax/dye sub printer, but it is so expensive to run, I just use it for waterslide decals. But it does print white and metallics. Trouble is, it doesn't like inkjet media as the coatings come off and gum up the head. You should only use it on laser papers.

Tim P