My Imcold's X-wing build

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
"Squish! is there in Rhino 5, thank you for offer:). I also preffer it before "smash". I am still kind of experimenting with how far can I get with it for use in paper model design. Approximate non-unfoldable surface by foldable surfaces is still more predictable and safer for me. In witch cases are you you using "squish"?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I use squish for almost everything, you can then turn on the control points and get a geometry close to what you want. Sometimes, with Squish, you realize you must cut the shape into more pieces, but you end up with a better design. (sent you a P.M.) I don't know which version you have, but I will send you a P.M. and you can try it. I use 64 bit Rhino. ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Finaly! I am cutting and gluing paper together again. And it feels sooo good:). After period of designing and texturing new engines:Computer: I am now building them. Template works well, all fits together nicely witch adds to my happiness:). I will post some build pictures soon and will add this new parts to resource section.

I added and will add lot of paper to the wings so now I am worried that wings will be so heavy that they will not hold on the fuselage. I must figure out how to reinfoce their connection.

Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Make spars out of Popsicle sticks, or some other type of wood. You have the advantage of having Rhino t print out a template. I would have the spares for the wings through the cockpit. If they are going to pivot, the wood will be an asset. ;)

Reactions: bigpetr

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I use squish for almost everything, you can then turn on the control points and get a geometry close to what you want. Sometimes, with Squish, you realize you must cut the shape into more pieces, but you end up with a better design. (sent you a P.M.) I don't know which version you have, but I will send you a P.M. and you can try it. I use 64 bit Rhino. ;)

I should elaborate, I use squish for the bows of ships, and wing tips, and other parts that are oddly shaped, not for everything, as I try to "Run 2 Rails, and make sure the profile curve is a straight curve. This gives an idea of what a part may have to look like to unroll. Many times it is a very small part of the Squished surface that is used. :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Make spars out of Popsicle sticks, or some other type of wood.

That would be very fine solution, but because of engines, there is no room to stick such reinforcement to the wing without being visible:(. I was thinking to reinforce the joint with strips of paper from all sides (top bottob, front and back) but not sure it will work. Must do some tests.

Thank you for sqish elaboration:).

Building engines did not last long, because after making one engine I noticed they are too narrow:realmad::headbange:. After lot of persuasion to myself (dont want to sit in front of the computer again so soon) I decided to widen them. Easy and fast task to corect 3d model and unfold it, but to rework textures was pain in the ass. But it is done now and one bacis shape of one engine almost finished and looks as it should.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Bigpetr, your work is elegant. It is a pleasure to see such fine detail executed in such a manner. You truly are a "Designer and Master Modeler". ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Oh no! To stay anywhere near to that description I must stop to build it now so I do not ruin it . As it is said - you shoud stop when at top (hope it is correct in english, It is old czech proverb and I can not find this phrase anywhere in dictionary :)) :animated:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I understand what you mean. You're at the top, now, you go higher, take it to where it leads you. You're potential is going to pull you. ;)

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
WOW boy! I've lost the notifications from this thread so I wasn't here for a long time and... what I've lost!!!!
This is a whole new level of cardmodelling! Never seen an X-Wing like this one before, in ANY material.
I'm totally... .... speechless.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You are doing movie quality miniatures, if not better!! This is the most awesome X-Wing out there, and it's yours, you made it!! :)