My Halinski Kits

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by eddie_brunette, Oct 2, 2007.

1. hi all

I've been watching, reading , learning from these forums for a while now, since i WAS a accomplished plastic modeller, I found these halinski kits astonishing. My very good friend were in europe the past month and I asked him to buy me a Halinski kit, well he bought four of them, the spitfire, p38, p40e and the zero.

Now, witch one do you recommend i start with. I was thinking the p38, because it is the oldest of these kits, but i cant get a build guide on it. I would love to start on the zero since there is a beautiful build guide in these forums. I might add that I only received polish(i think) instructions.

Another thing i want to know. Am I allowed to scan these kits? I was thinking of scanning them and then try build them. At least am a graphic designer so getting the scans right wont be a problem

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I have 3 of the four kits you mentioned (not the P-38 ), so I can at least speak to the relative complexities of most of these. I'd say that of the 3, the p40 would be the easiest. It has no radial motor as does the Zero and the cockpit structure is more straightforward than the Spit. I've only built the Zero, but have studied the other books and the build threads here and I think I'd say in order of complexity it'd be P40, Spitfire, then Zero. But that's just one guy's opinion - others may swap the Spit for Zero because of the cockpit structure.

As for scanning, I personally consider it a MUST for backup part purposes. It's a definite no-no to give them to others, but I'm sure you're on board with that. :) Some will say scanning and building it more than once even yourself is outside the bounds, but personally I don't see anything you do with it yourself out of line.

Some people only build from scans for 2 reasons: 1) They can't bear to cut up an original Halinski book, particularly if it's out of print, and 2) getting a scanned part to match the original if you need a replacement is very hard!

You mentioned getting the scan right won't be a problem. I'm assuming you mean you have some better equipment than us poor saps have with home scanners, but if you've got standard stuff I'd love to hear what you've done to get a close match. I've always struggled with this for my scans.

Good luck!
  3. Rick

Tx for the reply!
    They can't bear to cut up an original Halinski book, particularly if it's out of print," ... I'm with you on that one :)

my scanner is a Gestetner C555 office machine, it can scan 1600x1600 dpi and can scan up to A3 size, and then the magical photoshop:)

ok i'll give the p40 a try, it also looked a bit easier to me. why is the lightning's instuctions completely different to the AH kits, is it because of production date?

I will start taken photo's as well during the consrtuction, post it and asked help where I can

tx edd
  4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I don't have the P40 - but I have the Spitfire, Zero, Mustang III, Mustang D and the Jak-1b and I'd certainly rank the Spitfire the easiest of those. One could argue that the Mustang D might be an easier kit (less parts) - but the metallic parts are going to make it higher difficulty, IMHO.
    As far as scans - I haven't started building any - but I'm going to try and go into Kinko's and see if I can get good scans before I start cutting the kits up. If I can, I'll build from scans - but I'm not opposed to cutting up the model if I have to. Again - my opinion is that so long as you don't scan, build the scan and then sell the original (or distribute the scans to anybody else) then it's all good.
  5. "...Again - my opinion is that so long as you don't scan, build the scan and then sell the original (or distribute the scans to anybody else) then it's all good..."

Agreed :)

I'm a bit scared of spitfire, mainly because it doesn't have the traditional "cockpit floor", if I can say it like that. I've just scanned these kits at the office, printed them on nice glossy paper, and will try my luck with the p40, or the spit or all of them.....:)
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yes, up to somewhere in the year 2000 timeframe, the drawings (and I guess the parts themselves) were done with more traditional methods. After that is when they moved into CAD based stuff and the beautiful 3D drawings you see now.

7. o ok, i see it on the kits as well now, especially the weathering. geez i love this, especially if I think of all the weathering I had to do on the plastic models and.... I still cant get over the detail of these kits.

has anyone ever tried to make a "cut away" model? so many detail will be hidden when you finished.

i'm like a little boy at the office, just want to go home and build!!!, might even cancell bandpractice :)
  8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I have seen a couple of cutaways done, but don't have a link. I know there was one pictured in a display case put together by one of the members here (sakrison) to display the art and possibilities of card modeling. You can search for his member ID and see the threads started to find it. That's a great use of a cutaway - to teach people how these things are constructed who otherwise didn't even know such things existed!

9. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I know that a couple of the spitfire builds included cutting out the access panel on the one side that allowed better visual access to the cockpit. It looks simple enough to do - I was actually considering it when I build mine.
  10. geez rick, you've got it down on the "Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero, 1:33, Halinski 3/2005", i see it was your thread on this build, fantastic!!

i can now see the massive difference a build thread makes, especially if your polish is down the drain:)
  11. charliec

charliec Active Member

This tutorial has most of the techniques you need to clean up scans. it uses Gimp rather than Photoshop - I guess you can't complain about the cost of Gimp....

How to clean up a scanned image: engravings

I've found the maximum improvement comes from adjusting the levels in the scan - often fixes colour shifts and other nastiness.

12. sakrison

sakrison Member

I agree. I've often scanned and test-built assemblies that looked difficult or for which the instructions were somewhat vague. As long as you don't scan the kit and give (or sell) scans or originals to someone else, you're on safe ground. And practice makes (nearly) perfect.

I also have a few old Soviet-Era Maly Modelarz kits--the ones with the wood chips in the paper. I scan those, print them on better paper, clean up the colors, and then build them. I'll keep the originals as collectors' items.

Once you have purchased the kit, you can make copies, solely for your own use.