My Freight Train Pics

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
Thanks Deano. Im going to find some proto pics right now and I will think about scratch building them too. Sounds simple enough.

O and no, I couldn't tell about the sun shades, but now I know.sign1

I might buy the brass ones from as well as a thin sheet of styrene, which costs as much. that way, you'll have something the measure atleast, you know? make sure its all the right size.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I personally dislike Ebay unless I can buy it from an Ebay store ( i'm probably gonna break down and get the NJ transit GP40FH-2 shell)

however Ebay is invaluable fore rare or hard to find items. I get alot of my odd-ball commuter engines off ebay.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Yeah I want to get a GP40FH-2 shell off ebay. I have the money, and i just ordered a crap load of NJ transit decals and other engine details from Walthers. now i'm torn. I have a CR GP38-2 i got details for, and its my only 2nd generation road switcher. At the same time, many of the details, and parts from the GP38-2 itself could go into the GP40FH-2. I wonder if i should just buy another blue box GP38 or similar (any of those EMD GPs up to the GP50 are the same length) or just use my current GP38-2 and switch shells when i feel like it. I think my local hobby shop has a "Special Edition" athearn painted 38 that no one will ever buy.

yeah, speaking of detail projects, you ought buy a dremel tool, and add that nose headlight to your B40-8. I got one this christmas, and its amazing. I was cutting down an athearn C44-9W chassis for another project ( finally, i'm going to re-power my E60CP the way i told people i was gonna do it!). It occurred to me randomly that you can used this tool to cleanly cut a hole in the nose where the headlight belongs on your B40-8, and so i thought i'd suggest it. This thing has a million and one other uses to. it is so worth it.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
green_elite_cab said:
Yeah I want to get a GP40FH-2 shell off ebay. I have the money, and i just ordered a crap load of NJ transit decals and other engine details from Walthers. now i'm torn. I have a CR GP38-2 i got details for, and its my only 2nd generation road switcher. At the same time, many of the details, and parts from the GP38-2 itself could go into the GP40FH-2. I wonder if i should just buy another blue box GP38 or similar (any of those EMD GPs up to the GP50 are the same length) or just use my current GP38-2 and switch shells when i feel like it. I think my local hobby shop has a "Special Edition" athearn painted 38 that no one will ever buy.

yeah, speaking of detail projects, you ought buy a dremel tool, and add that nose headlight to your B40-8. I got one this christmas, and its amazing. I was cutting down an athearn C44-9W chassis for another project ( finally, i'm going to re-power my E60CP the way i told people i was gonna do it!). It occurred to me randomly that you can used this tool to cleanly cut a hole in the nose where the headlight belongs on your B40-8, and so i thought i'd suggest it. This thing has a million and one other uses to. it is so worth it.

I have a dremel kit, it is just burried in that thing we call the garagesign1 sign1 sign1

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Same here, My dad has a 2004 Red Ponitac GTO that has 584 HP and we have a Black GMC Denali (spelling, lol) that sit in the drive way. Of course my dad covers his car. He would love to put it in the garage but there is no possible way.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
Same here, My dad has a 2004 Red Ponitac GTO that has 584 HP and we have a Black GMC Denali (spelling, lol) that sit in the drive way. Of course my dad covers his car. He would love to put it in the garage but there is no possible way.

yeah, thats where the branchline is going!

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Wow, they do have some good prices.

Are you talking about these ones? http://www.cchobbies.com/hoscale/freightcars/athearnimpactcars.htm
Those arn't double stacks, they carry trailers. and this is what they look like
ATH5561-450.jpg

I saw the Walthers one's to in the RTR section. Those are nice!! They don't come with containers though, but I saw an icon that said containers and they are probly cheaper than anywere else too.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Yeah apparently the Athearns aren't RTR and they're impact cars,but Walthers has them.

They have a nice selection of containers also for just under $4 or so.

I think their RTR prices are very good,better then on e-bay even for the most part.

Chris

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Ya, you don't see to many good prices on e-bay for this stuff anymore:cry: :cry:

There are the ocasional AWSOME deals, like winning a powered Athearn CNW Dash 9 for $24 and another of the same with diff road # for $30, but you usally dont get lucky like that. :D :D :D :D

Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else.:thumb: :thumb: