My freelanced railroad

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Nice, very nice.
This pictures do really give us beginners an idea what we could obtain once we get the same experience as you have.
I am talking about years and years and years.

Paul

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Originally posted by swissjohn
Beautiful layout Gavin.
I can't get enough of your photos.
Who makes the articulated light rail vehicles? I'm sure I could make use of a couple. I assume, being Japanese, that they are good runners.
John.

Yes they are Japanese - made by Modemo, the model train division of the well known Hasegawa plastic kit company.

See my 'Japanese Layout in Australia' thread for more pictures.

Originally posted by swissjohn
Who makes the articulated light rail vehicles? I'm sure I could make use of a couple. I assume, being Japanese, that they are good runners.
John.

John,

As Doug has mentioned they are made by Modemo.

And yes, being Japanese, they ARE good runners. Mine run as smoothly as any of my flywheel equipped Kato locomotives and have excellent slow speed operation. The articulation is great!

I have two at the moment and am thinking of adding more to the fleet (even though I don't yet have an "urban" setting to run them in).

They are available in green, yellow and orange (so far). I notice the real operator in Setagaya Japan (the inspiration for Doug's excellent layout) has a blue version as well. See http://kttri.jp/tram/tokyu/300/index.html (in Japanese, but lots of great photos!)

If you can't find these delightful little models in Switzerland, try Doug Coster's Japanese Model Supplies in Sydney Australia - he does international mail orders. (http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Island/2589/jms/index.html). Not associated with him, just a satisfied customer.

Gavin

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Thanks Doug, Thanks Gavin,
I don't know how I managed to miss the Modemo trams when I visited Doug's layout page :eek:
Must be old age and rapidly failing eye-sight :D
John.

P.S. Despite my fascination with all things Swiss I actually live in England. I think there are a couple of Modemo dealers here but if not it's good to know that Doug will ship internationally.

Originally posted by csxnscale
Nice, very nice.
This pictures do really give us beginners an idea what we could obtain once we get the same experience as you have.
I am talking about years and years and years.

Paul
Paul,

Rest assured, it doesn't take "years and years" of experience to achieve half reasonable results.

If you use the same techniques (or perhaps better ones you come up with by yourself) you should be able to "scenic" a stretch of track in one afternoon and be pleased with the results.

The GREAT thing about scenery (natural vegetation) is that anything could be possible, so this aspect of modelling is VERY forgiving. If you make a "mistake", just throw on some more scatter material or ground foam and cover it with thicker vegetation.

Allow yourself to be creative and "have a go" - you will be glad you started. My tip: try just doing a small section at a time, then the job won't overwhelm you. There's plenty of time to finish the rest of the layout.

Gavin

Here are some shots of my hopper cars with different levels of weathering applied. Also different lettering to represent a mixed fleet of newer and older cars.

Firstly, a car which has covered many thousands of kilometres and picked up a fair bit of dust. This one must be due for a repaint as it still wears the railroad's older style markings (NRNA - National Rail Network Authority).

I airbrush the "dust" along the car and trucks using a double action Pasche.

Attachments

• hopper3.jpg
    hopper3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 362
... and here's one devoid of titles because it's centre panel has had to be replaced. (Actually, masked over while the weathering process was completed).

You may notice that most of the cars' reporting marks have been faithfully cleaned of dust and grime by my N-scale railroad personnel (actually masked with liquid mask during weathering which is rubbed off afterwards).

Attachments

• hopper1.jpg
    hopper1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 350

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Originally posted by Gavin Miller

John,

As Doug has mentioned they are made by Modemo.

And yes, being Japanese, they ARE good runners. Mine run as smoothly as any of my flywheel equipped Kato locomotives and have excellent slow speed operation. The articulation is great!

I have two at the moment and am thinking of adding more to the fleet (even though I don't yet have an "urban" setting to run them in).

They are available in green, yellow and orange (so far). I notice the real operator in Setagaya Japan (the inspiration for Doug's excellent layout) has a blue version as well. See http://kttri.jp/tram/tokyu/300/index.html (in Japanese, but lots of great photos!)

If you can't find these delightful little models in Switzerland, try Doug Coster's Japanese Model Supplies in Sydney Australia - he does international mail orders. (http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Island/2589/jms/index.html). Not associated with him, just a satisfied customer.

Gavin

1. The Setagaya line has 10 of the 300 series cars in it's roster. Each one is a different colour - and many have advertising slogans on them - however they do get changed from time to time. If you want a list of the full set, I can post it. I am hoping Modemo will do some more :p

2. Sorry Gavin, but the link you posted is obsolete - I have not used that site since early 2002 (thanks to Yahoo! stopping the facility to update using FTP :mad:). The correct address is found by following the link at http://Japanese-Trains.com.

Thanks.

Originally posted by redracer

2. Sorry Gavin, but the link you posted is obsolete - I have not used that site since early 2002 (thanks to Yahoo! stopping the facility to update using FTP :mad:). The correct address is found by following the link at http://Japanese-Trains.com.

Oops! I DID check it before posting it. When I clicked on it, it seemed to work. I'll change the address in my Favorites list.

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Originally posted by redracer

1. The Setagaya line has 10 of the 300 series cars in it's roster. Each one is a different colour - and many have advertising slogans on them - however they do get changed from time to time. If you want a list of the full set, I can post it. I am hoping Modemo will do some more :p

Thanks.

Hot off-the-press rumours just in hand tonite are that Modemo will be doing 'all' the colours. Now does that mean all the colours these vehicles have been seen in (which is a lot more then 10), or all the colours they are now, or one different colour for each number or what ???

Interesting (and maybe expensive) times are ahead !!!