My first (working) HOn3 loco

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Model Railroading' started by Glen Haasdyk, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Well I managed to complete my first HOn3 engine. It's an MDC 2-8-0 outside frame engine:

I added NWSL gears to it and now it runs quite smoothly. I only painted and decalled it. I has yet to be weathered, which explains to'stark' look of the paint job.
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:thumb: I just love the look of outside frame valve motion, second only to shays in my book.:thumb:
  3. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Nice job Glen, looks great.:thumb: :thumb:
  4. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Work Glen.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Very nice, Glenn.

I have an inside frame version to build. Thanks for the inspiration.
  6. R. MARTIN

R. MARTIN Member

Nothing like one of these little tea-kettles simmering and hissing on a siding to make your blood run fast. Great job Glen!
  7. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Great looking model Glen.
  8. Glen Haasdyk

Thanks for all the comments and compliments. My next project is an HOn3 MDC shay which I'm rebuilding from a swap meet find:
  9. R. MARTIN

R. MARTIN Member

So tell me Glen, What car kits do you prefer building? Have you tried any of the Rail Line product? I am building a 300 series boxcar right now and I'm really impressed with the quality.
  10. Glen Haasdyk

To tell you the truth my HOn3 portion of my layout is very small, just a logging spur with some switching. Just about all my rolling stock is a free-lance scratchbuild like the lumber flat in the picture. I have a couple Keystone skeleton logging cars and plans for logging caboose but for now that's it.
  11. Canopus

Canopus Member

Outside frame = superior to any other steam engine ever.

Good work, looks nice. What kind of build was it? (I'm unfamiliar with MDC kits)
  12. Glen Haasdyk

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. If you mean if it was an easy build it sort of was but I've built other steam kits before.
  13. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Nice work, Glen. Those sure are fun locos to build. And a challenge to get running smoothly as well! Do you have a working headlight?

14. Glen Haasdyk

it ws a bit of a challenge, a fair amout of filing due to flash binding up the gears and other moving parts. The NWSL gears do wonders as well. It doesn't have a working headlight, I plan to add a jewel to simulate the headlight instead