My first (working) HOn3 loco

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Well I managed to complete my first HOn3 engine. It's an MDC 2-8-0 outside frame engine:
ahx.jpg

I added NWSL gears to it and now it runs quite smoothly. I only painted and decalled it. I has yet to be weathered, which explains to'stark' look of the paint job.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Very nice, Glenn.

I have an inside frame version to build. Thanks for the inspiration.

R. MARTIN

Sep 12, 2006
ALLEN, TEXAS
So tell me Glen, What car kits do you prefer building? Have you tried any of the Rail Line product? I am building a 300 series boxcar right now and I'm really impressed with the quality.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
To tell you the truth my HOn3 portion of my layout is very small, just a logging spur with some switching. Just about all my rolling stock is a free-lance scratchbuild like the lumber flat in the picture. I have a couple Keystone skeleton logging cars and plans for logging caboose but for now that's it.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Outside frame = superior to any other steam engine ever.

Good work, looks nice. What kind of build was it? (I'm unfamiliar with MDC kits)

N

nachoman

Nice work, Glen. Those sure are fun locos to build. And a challenge to get running smoothly as well! Do you have a working headlight?

kevin

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
it ws a bit of a challenge, a fair amout of filing due to flash binding up the gears and other moving parts. The NWSL gears do wonders as well. It doesn't have a working headlight, I plan to add a jewel to simulate the headlight instead