My first website !

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Triop, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Triop

Triop Member

Hi all,

Just started a website with my first 2 models, a F-5 and a Air Tractor.
    I really like this designing stuff so I'm sure more models will be folowing :twisted:

Enjoy ! :thumb:
  2. edi

edi Member

I´ve done about 10 designs, all availible here in the download section....

what is the advantage of an own site?

3. Triop

Triop Member

Good Question, been thinking about that as well.
    It would be nice if the download section gets a bit of a make-over.
    It doesn't look so inviting to me, I only discovered it resently and searching for files is not that easy...( in my experience )

I also choose for a website for the presentation and to learn about websites (it's my first)
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

The downloads area is a plugin. Way too much effort to redesign. If you have the desire then your own website is a great way to go :) You make it look/feel however you want it too. You have complete control. The downloads area a great alternative for those that dont wish to setup their own sites. Plus here you dont have to worry about bandwidth for those large files.
    p.s. if you do have your own site I highly encourage you to put a link in your signature and also let us know here when you make updates - I know I like to know when new stuff is out :)
  5. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Congratulations !!!!
  6. papermodeller

papermodeller New Member

It's nice to have a website to share your fun with the rest of the world.
    The download area here is restricted to members unfortunately and by far most people who find out they need to register to get something free, won't.

If Freewebs offers you some webspace and since you don't have a lot of models yet and if they're not too big, you could host them on your webspace so anybody can download them.

I don't know if Freewebs has bandwidth restrictions, otherwise you might consider making a free account at a filesharer like 4Shared or something.
  7. Triop

Triop Member

for me the + of the download section is that it keeps score of the downloads.
    Just started designing so "members only" works fine for me for now :cool:

Edit : and hey, maybe we get some new members sign1
  8. papermodeller

papermodeller New Member

Most if not all filesharing services do that too if you log in to your free account. ;)
    And you can also set up a download counter if you host your files on your webspace (but I understand you're a little hesitant about doing "advanced" stuff like that).

I doubt people will register if they're just expecting to download your files without hassle and not anything else; maybe if you put up a message they have to register, but they will find a large and active forum and more models after doing so?

Just offering some suggestions (my biggest tip is: make it as easy as possible for people to download your files lol) but in the end you decide how you run your site.
  9. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Triop, nice job on your first site. I have done several in the past (mostly paid endeavors). The bottom line is, it is just fun to be creative and see what cool layout and designs you can come up with. It is very satisfying for me.

For file sharing, check out ou do not need to register, you get monster space (around 25 - 30 G). You can chose how you want to share (private = register or world = no register, simply click on the file and download). I find it very easy to use.

Good luck with the site. I'll check it out here and there for updates!
  10. Triop

Triop Member

Thanks for all the info, you've answered a lot off my questions ! :thumb: