My first weathering project.

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by KCS, Dec 24, 2006.

1. KCS

KCS Member

All right guy's. Here's my first weathered item. I decided to jump in head first and take the chance. I guess it was bound to have to happen sooner or later so I guess there was no time like the present to do so. This is an Atlas Dash8-40B BNSF 8630. I used a wash of Testors flat black and 70% rubbing alcohol and did it in coats. The over all effect was to get a dirty locomotive that look's like it was coupled behind another one that caught fire. If I can find some chalks I might add a little rust here and there. Comment's welcome. Enjoy.:wave:

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      File size:
      59.9 KB
    • B.jpg
      File size:
      65 KB
    • C.JPG
      File size:
      60.5 KB
    • D.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
    • E.jpg
      File size:
      61.8 KB
  2. KCS

KCS Member

Here's some more.:thumb:

Attached Files:

• F.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
    • G.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
    • H.JPG
      File size:
      49 KB
  3. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, you certainly got the effect you wanted then. That loco is due for a new paint job!!

I might suggest taking a little off by putting some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and use gental down stroks to take a thin layer off, you would be suprised just how much it works, I have done this to almost all my weathered trains after I have finished them and I was even more pleased with the results. Just a suggestion though:wave:

Here is my BNSF Dash 8-40B #8630 and it is still unweathered.
  4. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

Wow that bad boy looks like a coal hauler! :thumb: I like it. :thumb:
  5. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Geez! it looked as if it stalled in a tunnel! Good work. Reminds the helpers around donner pass or Tehachapi!! COOL! :thumb:
  6. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

Stalled in a tunnel on Donner Pass hauling coal. :thumb:
  7. KCS

KCS Member

I tried removing a little but it seems that the alcohol leaves a white film on the area you wipe off. I was wondering if there was a way to keep that from happening. Thanks for the comments guy's. It does look like it stalled out in a tunnel pulling a coal load.sign1
  8. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

KCS:wave:, i don't follow BNSF, but i have seen UP & SP units that black before:thumb:. the ONLY thing i would do if you are happy with it is to paint your radiator grills black;). your engine looks like it could have been behind an engine that was on fire, OR, i think it looks pretty prototypical to an engine with lots of tunnel use under its belt, if you are going for that look...NICE JOB!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

as far as using Testors for weathering...though others might disagree with me:rolleyes:, i would use water based paints instead, like Polly Scale or Badger, etc.;) i find water based paints are MUCH more forgiving to work with:thumb:. just MY thoughts;).

:D -Deano View attachment 33410

Attached Files:

9. KCS

KCS Member

Well, from the guy's on "I screwed the pooch on this one." They pointed out something I missed and now the shell is ruined so now I have to wait and gt a new undecorated one and start all over.
  10. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Sorry to hear that the shell is ruined. Was it from trying to take off some of black wash? I've been using water based paints, so if there is a major uh-oh, the paint can generally be taken off.

So far, I have only done cheap boxcars and cabooses, haven't gotten up the nerve to do a locomotive yet. I bow to your bravery for doing a loco on your first attempt, and a Teddy Roosevelt quote comes to mind.
  11. KCS

KCS Member

Well, from what I'm hearing it might be able to be saved. Just a careful strip down of all paint without ruining any details then going with a different road all together. I'm gonna go with CSX sense KCS doesn't have any 40B-8's. Just a full repaint with a couple of changed details to fully match prototype then I'll stick with chalks for a litle grime on the lower part of the locomotive to keep it fairly new looking. I just got finished weathering an Athearn BB BN dble door box car with Kato roller bearing trucks and Sergent couplers. It is a rust bucket but look's really good to me.

Just as a surface rust on the entire car in different shades. I like the chalks advantage of giving texture and how good colors mix, blend and fade with others but they are really hard to control when putting them on the car and trying to duplicate a prototype rust pattern, I don't know what to do about this problem. If I can find a way to gain some control with the chalk then all I need to do is just learn a little more on color matching and I'll be set. Well, I need to work on rust spots with down steaks too.:thumb:
  12. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Your best friend is a yard sale. :D

Seriously. Go around and look for yard sales. More often than not, you will find people selling off piece-of-crap Tycos and garbage like that for next to nothing. Scoop those up for cheap, and practice your weathering on those.

Conventional wisdom: Don't use a $100 locomotive on your first-ever weathering attempt. sign1
  13. KCS

KCS Member

Well, the price on this one was $130+ tax but the guy had it like %30 off or something like that then gave me another discount on top of that for being a club member at the show so I ended up getting it for $50 total. Now this is why I chose it over my Atlas MP15 AC that I paid full price for. I sure wish I could afford sound. Damn.